PDA

View Full Version : Coin Flip Question for Non-Americans

RocketManJames
10-28-2005, 05:59 PM
Just out of curiousity, for those nations where their coins do not necessarily have a "head" on one side, do you use the term "heads or tails" when you do a coin flip?

Or, is there some standard way to determine which side is heads for all coins? Such as maybe using the side with the mint year as heads and other side as tails? Is there any standard for this?

-RMJ

Eurotrash
10-28-2005, 06:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
do you use the term "heads or tails" when you do a coin flip?

[/ QUOTE ]

I like to sound extra pretentious, so I use "obverse or reverse?"

<font color="white"> I don't actually do this.</font>

phixxx
10-28-2005, 06:11 PM
I say heads or tails. On one side of the Canadian quarter, there's a moose (or is it a deer?). On the other side, there's a pic of Elizabeth. On our loonie, one side has a loon. The other side, once again, is a picture of queen elizabeth. It's implied that the side that isn't heads is tails, regardless of what's on it.

Arnfinn Madsen
10-28-2005, 06:12 PM
In norway we flop for "crown" or "mint".

Blarg
10-28-2005, 06:15 PM
A numismatist among us.

Mr_J
10-28-2005, 06:28 PM
Us aussies actually have 'heads' AND 'tails'. All of our coins have the queen on one side, and most have an animal on the other.

Blarg
10-28-2005, 06:31 PM
Somebody please take charge of the joke response for this one.

JackWilson
10-28-2005, 06:41 PM
In South Africa, there are no heads on coins. However, we still use exactly the same system, whereby the front of the coin (identified as the part with the denomination on it) is "tails."

Brainwalter
10-28-2005, 06:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Or, is there some standard way to determine which side is heads for all coins? Such as maybe using the side with the mint year as heads and other side as tails?

[/ QUOTE ]

There are US coins with the mint year on the tails side.

Brainwalter
10-28-2005, 06:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
In South Africa, there are no heads on coins. However, we still use exactly the same system, whereby the front of the coin (identified as the part with the denomination on it) is "tails."

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Are you aware that here tails is the back of the coin?

ddubois
10-28-2005, 06:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Us aussies actually have 'heads' AND 'tails'.

[/ QUOTE ]
Does it get in the way when you wipe your ass?

[ QUOTE ]
Somebody please take charge of the joke response for this one.

[/ QUOTE ]
I do hope this is satisfactory.

jedi
10-28-2005, 06:51 PM
I had a lacrosse referee friend who had an oversized coin with the Queen of England on one side and a platypus on the other. When he would do coin tosses at the beginning of the game he'd ask the visiting captain to call "Queen or Pus"

Mr_J
10-28-2005, 07:03 PM
I saw his reply before yours and chose not to fix it.

"Does it get in the way when you wipe your ass?"

No. Our tails came to being from too much sex with kangaroos. kangaroos have several uses:
1. Transport, great to ride around on (pouch often isn't large enough).
2. Sport, run around tackling kangaroos, fighting them, kicking them, it's all good for entertainment. That's why we're good at rugby.
3. Great for lonely nights. After a a dozen drinks a female (or even male!!) kangaroo looks pretty damn inviting.

Anyway we all actually do have tails. At the bottom of our spine.

Mr_J
10-28-2005, 07:05 PM
That should be "puss" (as in pussy) since it's pronounced plat-r-puss

Blarg
10-28-2005, 07:15 PM
Eh? Since when do Australians know how to pronounce anything?

daryn
10-28-2005, 07:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
That should be "puss" (as in pussy) since it's pronounced plat-r-puss

[/ QUOTE ]

huh? plat R puss?

RocketManJames
10-28-2005, 07:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Or, is there some standard way to determine which side is heads for all coins? Such as maybe using the side with the mint year as heads and other side as tails?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I suppose you're referring to select gold coins from the 1800s. Also, there are some US coins that don't have a head, such as the 2-cent piece, but I've never been in a coin-flipping situation with them.

-RMJ

Brainwalter
10-28-2005, 07:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I suppose you're referring to select gold coins from the 1800s. Also, there are some US coins that don't have a head, such as the 2-cent piece, but I've never been in a coin-flipping situation with them.

-RMJ

[/ QUOTE ]

The "new" state quarters have the year on tails, as do, maybe, the new nickels.

Mr_J
10-28-2005, 08:34 PM
Eh, read blargs post above yours.

Mr_J
10-28-2005, 08:37 PM
We watch too much american tv...