PDA

View Full Version : Stealing with small pairs Late Position, Levels 1-4

10-28-2005, 05:21 PM
I play the PP $11s.
About how often should I be raising with small pairs, in Late Position, with 1 or 2 limpers already in? I understand you'd normally play these for set-flopping value at later levels only. But suppose it is late 2nd level, and you have not played a single hand waiting for the premiums. Isn't it worth it to milk the tight image some percentage of the time? Where's the flaw?

rbear
10-28-2005, 05:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I understand you'd normally play these for set-flopping value at later levels only.

[/ QUOTE ]

I play any pocket pair for set value, at every level...

late levels i usually push small pairs to steal blinds

playtitleist
10-28-2005, 05:50 PM
The flaw is in the fact that it's the 11s and you can't really raise enough to get everybody out. Meaning, if you are raising enough to get everybody out, you are risking too much.

So, say you try not to risk too much. What is that? 5x with 1-2 limpers?
a) That is too much.
b) You likely get called by SB, BB, Limper 1 or 2. And any combination of all of them.
c) When called you are on a low pair likely facing over cards on the flop. So you go into the tank.

You are essentially playing small PPs for set value anyway, you've only bumped the pot. Which increases the reward when they hit, but kills you when they don't (which is most often) because you need to save your chips for later.

pineapple888
10-28-2005, 05:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I play the PP $11s.
About how often should I be raising with small pairs, in Late Position, with 1 or 2 limpers already in? I understand you'd normally play these for set-flopping value at later levels only. But suppose it is late 2nd level, and you have not played a single hand waiting for the premiums. Isn't it worth it to milk the tight image some percentage of the time? Where's the flaw?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, to start with, you only play small pairs for set value in the *early* levels (1,2, maybe 3).

Otherwise, you fold them. They are weak hands that are either 52% or 18% pre-flop. Not a good bargain.

You can try a PVS at any level in late position to try to punish the limpers (see the FAQ for PVS). But it's usually -EV at the 11s.