PDA

View Full Version : I had no idea where I was at in this hand....

Tyler Durden
06-11-2003, 11:07 AM
Multitable limit tourney

Blinds are 10 and 20. we just started.

MP, with T1220, openraises. SB calls with T1490. I call in BB with T1450 and J/forums/images/icons/club.gif 8/forums/images/icons/club.gif. Too loose?

Flop is 2/forums/images/icons/heart.gif 5/forums/images/icons/club.gif 7/forums/images/icons/club.gif.
Checked to MP, he bets, SB raises, I 3-bet, MP caps and we both call.

Turn is A/forums/images/icons/club.gif. I've got the third nuts.
SB bets out, I raise, MP 3-bets, SB coldcalls, I cap, both call.

River is J /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif.
Check, I bet, both call.

Comments/criticisms/analysis?

Thank you very much!

ohkanada
06-11-2003, 11:12 AM
Muck pre-flop.

I doubt I 3 bet on the flop. Although in a ring game it would be correct I wouldn't do it in a tourney.

Turn and river look dandy.

Ken Poklitar

Tyler Durden
06-11-2003, 11:52 AM
Can you tell me why the flop 3-bet isn't good in a tourney? I have very little tourney experience so I'd appreciate the help.

eMarkM
06-11-2003, 12:21 PM
Because in a tourney chips are precious and need to be conserved. In a tourney there's a constant struggle between the needs of conserving unreplenishable chips and getting them in the center when you think you have the best of it. You often check hands you would normally bet in a ring to avoid check raises and such, especially when the blinds get big relative to stack size.

You don't have a made hand on the flop here and you're unlikely to push the other two guys off their hands by 3 betting. You just make it more expensive for yourself when you miss.

ohkanada
06-11-2003, 12:24 PM
In a live game you can simply add more money when you miss your draws. So you can push small edges where you are mathematically correct but it may take the long term to make money.

In a tourney if you miss your draws you will run out of chips, so although I would call the flop raise, I wouldn't push things and would be happy to see the turn cheap. Plus you are not drawing to the nuts.

I think the key is the more chips you have compared to the blinds the more you are willing to play some draws. So at 10-20 with 1500, even raising is likely fine. But if the blinds were 25-50, you are costing yourself too much of your stack.

Ken Poklitar

Al_Capone_Junior
06-11-2003, 12:43 PM
In a tournament, playing draws aggressively is no good. I don't like your flop play one bit. If you're going to draw, keep them in, don't drive them out. I would have been quite worried if I were you when you got reraised on the turn. Betting the river was ok, since they checked, but IMO you should have really won a smaller pot here if you had played optimally for a tournament. Because draws are not as good in a tournament, I don't even know if I'da called BTF with that one, maybe if it was still early and the blinds were small.

al

Al_Capone_Junior
06-11-2003, 12:47 PM
"I doubt I 3 bet on the flop. Although in a ring game it would be correct I wouldn't do it in a tourney."

Correct? I think it would be an OPTION! You're funny! I like that! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif
al

Al_Capone_Junior
06-11-2003, 12:49 PM

ohkanada
06-11-2003, 02:53 PM
"Correct? I think it would be an OPTION!"

Yeah you are right.

Ken Poklitar

Boss Plunkett
06-11-2003, 04:50 PM
I dont think your PF call was all that bad your getting 5-1 pot odds. on the flop you check MP raises and SB reraises now you are getting 4-1 to call but it is likely that the SB has MP beat and is trying to drive you out to protect himself against the flush. I would probably fold here but its close. One thing you should think about as other posters have correctly pointed out that T chips are not to be wasted on draws, however there are two situations that Come up where you raise would have been justified. I ussually raise on a flush draw if a)I think I have a chance of winning it right there(I don't think you were going to get this) b) i am last to act thus possibly giving me a free card on the turn if I miss my flush. I thinkl you probably won this hand but I definelty think you misplayed and over bet your hand on the flop.

Tyler Durden
06-11-2003, 10:03 PM