PDA

View Full Version : Video game recommendation. Brand New Dell Desktop arrived today.

blendedsuit
10-28-2005, 04:49 PM
I haven't played any video games in 3 years. Previously I played counter-strike an unhealthy amount. I also played age of empiresI some, but didn't like Civ3. Age of empiresII was ok, but too fast and too much typing trying to advance as fast as possible. Suggestions and criticism of previous suggestions wlecome. thanks

deacsoft
10-28-2005, 04:51 PM
Age of the Empires 3 and Quake 4.

4_2_it
10-28-2005, 05:00 PM
I like LOTR Battle for Middle Earth. Nice graphics. Decent internet play. I also like Civ4 so my advice might not be valid.

CollinEstes
10-28-2005, 05:07 PM
If you like Multi-player you could get World of Warcraft. I don't play it but like 30 million people do around the world so it has to be decent.

If you like sports, Tiger Wood 06 is fun.

10-28-2005, 05:27 PM
Battlefield 2

DrunkHamster
10-28-2005, 05:33 PM
Call of duty 2. Good graphics, good multiplayer, and awesome campaigns. Plus you seem to like FPSs.

Aytumious
10-28-2005, 05:35 PM
Half-Life 2 and FEAR are great FPS.

FEAR is an amazing game in terms of graphics, story, and enemy AI. Multiplayer is also very good.

JackWilson
10-28-2005, 05:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you like Multi-player you could get World of Warcraft. I don't play it but like 30 million people do around the world so it has to be decent.

[/ QUOTE ]

For god's sake please don't start playing World of Warcraft.

Blarg
10-28-2005, 05:44 PM
Check out Earth 2160 coming out in a couple weeks. Gamespot has great pics of it and a preview. It's an RTS that can be scaled down, but when put on max resolution, it has incredible detail and looks really great. It's part of a proven series. Interestingly, you can highly customize your units and buildings.

Everyone here seems to be talking about Civ 4 lately, but that one supposedly you don't need a top system to play at all.

AOE 3 is out, but as a really avid AOE 2 player, I've passed it by. It's buggy yet, and the play is a good bit different from AOE2, with lots not appreciating the change. Also, the AI is supposedly atrocious. I wouldn't be surprised if it's good multiplayer, but multiplayer is not on Microsoft's The Zone anymore, so it won't be quite as easy to get games for years on end.

I'm also looking forward to next year's Supreme Commander, from Chris Taylor, the guy who did Total Annihilation, a groundbreaking RTS that's still probably the most fun I've ever had with a computer game. It too is an RTS, and looks reminiscent of T.A., but with even larger scale battles. The reason I mention it is that I saw some breathtaking pictures on Gamespot, and it will probably test a new machine greatly when it comes out.

I guess a first person shooter is mandatory to test a new computer. I'll leave it to others to suggest those.

Blarg
10-28-2005, 05:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. I played it for months and didn't miss it when I gave up. The game needs a lot of fleshing out yet, even after all this time. I renewed my account about a week ago, played for all of 15 minutes, and wondered why I had bothered. I used to be an MMORPG fanatic, too, sadly enough. But WoW is one you can either skip or come back to in two years when the gameplay is broader.

TiK
10-28-2005, 05:56 PM
I've been playing Counterstrike Source as well as Half Life 2 recently. Haven't played many other games though, so I can't really compare. But those two have been pretty fun.

ilya
10-28-2005, 07:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Half-Life 2 and FEAR are great FPS.

[/ QUOTE ]

Somewhat sillier but also very fun is a Serious-Sam-style FPS called Painkiller.

Freakin
10-28-2005, 07:29 PM
Battlefield 2 & LOTR: battle for middle earth

Blarg
10-28-2005, 07:33 PM
Check out Gamespy's three page rave for FEAR:

http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/fear/662327p1.html

[ QUOTE ]
Monolith has tried to live up to F.E.A.R.'s name by turning down the lights and offering up a game that's part modern military shooter and part sci-fi horror. With outstanding combat, spectacular visuals, extremely addictive multiplayer, and many moments that will have you jumping out of your seat, F.E.A.R. stands as one of the best shooters of 2005.

[/ QUOTE ]

10-28-2005, 07:36 PM
i dont know what other's like, but i like master of orion 2. it's an old game but very cool. what i really like is playing chess on the ICC.

Popinjay
10-28-2005, 07:36 PM
Gotta go with Half-life 2. It's simply amazing.

blendedsuit
10-28-2005, 08:19 PM
additions. I really dislike Unreal Tourney and didn't care for quake either. I definitely enjoy multiplayer more. Thanks so far.

[ QUOTE ]
i dont know what other's like, but i like master of orion 2. it's an old game but very cool. what i really like is playing chess on the ICC.

[/ QUOTE ]
This game was recommended to me 6 years ago. I still haven't checked it out yet, but maybe I will. It is turn based like Civ though, so maybe I'll still leave it on the back burner. I have been playing yahoo chess some.

Blarg
10-28-2005, 08:27 PM
The guy bought a new machine. Usually when they ask what game to play on a new machine, they don't mean six year old games. They mean something that looks great on a new computer. Anyway that's my take on it.

waffle
10-28-2005, 08:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Gotta go with Half-life 2. It's simply amazing.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Battlefield 2

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Aytumious
10-28-2005, 09:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Check out Gamespy's three page rave for FEAR:

http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/fear/662327p1.html

[ QUOTE ]
Monolith has tried to live up to F.E.A.R.'s name by turning down the lights and offering up a game that's part modern military shooter and part sci-fi horror. With outstanding combat, spectacular visuals, extremely addictive multiplayer, and many moments that will have you jumping out of your seat, F.E.A.R. stands as one of the best shooters of 2005.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Download the demo if you guys haven't checked this game out yet.

MarkL444
10-28-2005, 10:23 PM
i agree with avoiding World of warcraft. it rules imo, but will suck away a lot of your time.

Luv2DriveTT
10-28-2005, 10:28 PM
Battlefield 2, and its not even close. But HalfLife 2 is a mandatory 2nd best.