PDA

View Full Version : First win under the belt, now where's that book...?

GrinningBuddha
06-11-2003, 09:23 AM
I've recently started playing the play money tournaments on Truepoker and have found them an interesting diversion from ring play. I finally won my first, after about 6-8 tries; it was a 100 entrant limit tourney. I'm happy with the win, even with it being play money, and I've decided to look for a good book on limit and no-limit tourney play. Two books I've seen mentioned are S&M's TPFAP, and Brunson's Super/System. Are there any other books I should look at before these two?

Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks!

bpmyrx7
06-11-2003, 09:58 AM
I've read TPFAP and I think it is a great book for someone who knows the game and needs to be a bit more refined with their skills. I found the first part to be a bit all over the place. And I wish it was just about Holdem (Sorry David), but the second half, is worth the price of admission. Both "the System" and the hand quizzes will raise your game. Unless you are under the gun, then you may want to fold /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

JayKon
06-12-2003, 12:38 AM
Yea, TPFAP is a good book. I'm still studying it. However, if you're serious, just become a once to three times a week visitor right here and participate.

philnewall
06-12-2003, 07:31 AM
I found TPFAP very useful. I have also lately read pot limit and no limit poker by Bob Ciaffone, which is very good if you're playing pot and no limit tournies.

Kurn, son of Mogh
06-12-2003, 09:10 AM
Both books will help, providing you've read the primary Hold 'em books already. TPFAP explains a lot of the differences between limit ring game play and tournament play. Interestingly enough,in Phil Hellmuth's new book, the one chapter with real value is on strategy for limit HE tournaments.

One other point. Play money is OK for getting used to the rhythm and flow of a tourney, but won't teach you a thing about *real* play. Get into some low buy-in real money events asap.