PDA

View Full Version : What kind of player are you?

irishpint
10-28-2005, 02:10 PM
After looking at my PT stats I realize that I'm like a power forward in basketball. I like getting 2 big cards, raising, and betting the entire way. I like stealing blinds. I play a position known for brawn and not brains so I dont make good folds. I play back when I know I'm toast. I call turn check raises. I need to add some small ball, some Steve Nash. A little Magic. Maybe it's because I play 6max, but wtf do I do with JTo? WIth 98s? with 44? I dont hit straights/flushes/sets. I lose to them with my top pair.

I think the problem stems from wanting to win too fast. I want to be playing 5/10 6max full time. But I can't because I try to win 10BB/100 @ 2/4 and 3/6 and end up going crazy and losing. if you're rolled for 1/2 ($600) and want to get to 3/6, it's $1200 you have to win. At 3BB/100 that's 20k hands! Raising A8o and betting the flop and turn into 3 players does not accomplish this. It hinders it.

I dont know about you guys, but I know I need to SLOW DOWN, RELAX, and THINK rather than just charge head first into everything I see (although I am a rugby player so this is what comes naturally to me I guess).

This post ended up being really bad, I'm sorry.

Vote4Pedro
10-28-2005, 02:37 PM
In the spirit of basketball, I'd consider myself an "Iverson-esque" player. Aggressive on offense and defense. Questionable decision making, bad attitude. When I'm hot I look like one of the best, when I'm off I look like a moran

10-28-2005, 02:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
When I'm hot I look like one of the best

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL What limits do you play?

aargh57
10-28-2005, 02:43 PM
I'm kinda like you too but for different reasons. I find myself overplaying hands not for the bankroll reasons but for the sake of being aggressive. When I'm in the pot I think that I should be able to win it too often and overplay my hand. I'm trying to break myself of this and say "it's O.K. to call sometimes". I'm a rugby player also so maybe that's got something to do with it.

Schwartzy61
10-28-2005, 02:44 PM
I think I'm a Mark Madsen type player...

Not much talent but I seem to know what's going on and try my best to win.

lautzutao
10-28-2005, 02:45 PM
Hmm, comparing myself to basketball I"m like Chris Dudley /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Thank God it's basketball season...

Weatherhead03
10-28-2005, 02:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I need to SLOW DOWN, RELAX, and THINK rather than just charge head first into everything I see

[/ QUOTE ]

This statement reminds me a lot of me. I need to focus more on getting reads. As I read more posts of higher limits I realize that they have reads for almost every player at the table. I am lucky to get a read on more than one player.

[ QUOTE ]
I play back when I know I'm toast

[/ QUOTE ]

I also do this and although I am trying to seriously cut down on the number of hands I call down or reraise when I know im beat its still really hard for me.

[ QUOTE ]
This post ended up being really bad, I'm sorry

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree

MrWookie47
10-28-2005, 03:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This post ended up being really bad, I'm sorry

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree

[/ QUOTE ]

I do, too. I know little about basketball, and I have no idea who I'd compare myself to, but self-analysis is always good.

Vote4Pedro
10-28-2005, 03:22 PM
.05/.1 usually, but I mix in some .1/.2 when I'm feeling naughty

10-28-2005, 03:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
.05/.1 usually, but I mix in some .1/.2 when I'm feeling naughty

[/ QUOTE ]

Nothing wrong with that. Just be sure to never say you look like "one of the best" when you're on. /images/graemlins/cool.gif
Or I'll just assume for your sake that you meant one of the best at your level, and not amongst the general poker population!

Wait till you are crushing 100/200, then you can walk around with your dillyflapper hangin' out sayin' stuff like this.

kiemo
10-28-2005, 03:42 PM
I am like Terrell Brandon. I dont want to do anything and get paid millions for it.

Vote4Pedro
10-28-2005, 03:47 PM
Thanks champ

irishpint
10-28-2005, 04:58 PM
The basketball comparasions are kind of fun, huh? I aspire to be a point guard, watching everything and making good decisions but too often my play makes no sense and I try to score 30 points at once rather than take one shot at a time.
And I know I go on tilt/play too emotional and that's not a good thing.

aargh57
10-28-2005, 05:09 PM
I'm a second row. I just keep pushing and end up sniffing ass a lot.

TripleH68
10-28-2005, 05:34 PM
I play like Adrian Dantley.

SomethingClever
10-28-2005, 05:43 PM
Just stop limping AA UTG and catching 1-outers to beat my flopped boats on the river, k?

Yeah, you pretty much nailed it in your OP. There are lots of ways to make money at this game other than betting top pair all the way. Read the HUSH forum a lot and take a second to think before you act on each hand. Remind yourself why you're taking a particular action.

irishpint
10-28-2005, 05:54 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En respuesta a:</font><hr />
Just stop limping AA UTG and catching 1-outers to beat my flopped boats on the river, k?

Yeah, you pretty much nailed it in your OP. There are lots of ways to make money at this game other than betting top pair all the way. Read the HUSH forum a lot and take a second to think before you act on each hand. Remind yourself why you're taking a particular action.

[/ QUOTE ]

was that really you? i hope not

TomBrooks
10-28-2005, 06:00 PM
I'm like Ben Handlogten of the Nets. I'm started playing when I was older than most. Ben didn't reach the major league until he was thirty. I've been playing for a little over a year. He's been playing only two seasons. I don't play real good, but I play decent - like him. I'm not as aggressive on offense as I could be, and he could stand to be more aggressive also. I can however, steal some blinds and he can steal the ball. He's good getting defensive rebounds and I like to play defensively and protect my hand when I make one. The most minutes he has in a game is 25. I don't get a lot of minutes playing poker because I don't multitable much.

cold_cash
10-28-2005, 06:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hmm, comparing myself to basketball I"m like Chris Dudley /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Thank God it's basketball season...

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, he is the hardest working man in basketball.

(BTW, I'm Michael Jordan for obvious reasons.)

cold_cash
10-28-2005, 06:18 PM
stfu.

10-28-2005, 06:28 PM
SMDMF

ellipse_87
10-28-2005, 06:30 PM
If you saw me playing poker, you would immediately think of Willis Reed in Game Seven of the 1970 Finals.

cold_cash
10-28-2005, 06:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
SMDMF

[/ QUOTE ]

Bring it here, big boy. /images/graemlins/heart.gif

Rev. Good Will
10-28-2005, 06:37 PM
http://www.angelfire.com/biz5/acp/images/dunk1.jpg

bozlax
10-28-2005, 07:17 PM
I'm Chris Weber. I spend too much time pharmaceutically altered, and I can't believe that you ingrates don't love me more.

irishpint
10-28-2005, 07:20 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En respuesta a:</font><hr />
I'm Chris Weber. I spend too much time pharmaceutically altered, and I can't believe that you ingrates don't love me more.

[/ QUOTE ]

you are old and have bad knees. and are out of time outs

SomethingClever
10-28-2005, 07:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

was that really you? i hope not

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, it REALLY WAS me! Didn't you read the no content thread after you posted!???!!!!

SomethingClever
10-28-2005, 07:55 PM
Oh, and I'm Kobe Bryant for obvious reasons.

10-28-2005, 07:56 PM
I think in order to raise this flop we NEED to win this hand u/i a non trivial portion of the time. If we raise, we are not getting 11:1 but less than 6:1. 6:1 is not too good here in my opinion, soley because we very rarely are going to win this pot u/i.
The implied odds suck here too. I doubt a 6 or 7 on the turn is going to get anyone (besides us) very excited, thus I wouldn't count on much action if the hand goes our way.
I vote for calling the flop.

lautzutao
10-28-2005, 07:59 PM
Hehe, Chris Dudley was a complete hack /images/graemlins/grin.gif This is why white people from Ivy League schools should take up yachting or chess or something. Not play basketball...

The fact that the Knicks at one point were paying this guy upwards of 6 Million a year at one point still causes bile to rise into my mouth.

MrWookie47
10-28-2005, 08:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think in order to raise this flop we NEED to win this hand u/i a non trivial portion of the time. If we raise, we are not getting 11:1 but less than 6:1. 6:1 is not too good here in my opinion, soley because we very rarely are going to win this pot u/i.
The implied odds suck here too. I doubt a 6 or 7 on the turn is going to get anyone (besides us) very excited, thus I wouldn't count on much action if the hand goes our way.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is generally a good idea to check which thread you're posting in prior to making the post.

10-28-2005, 08:31 PM
I'm definitely Dirk Nowitzki. Not because of my play, for i do know the meaning of the word DEFENSE /images/graemlins/grin.gif, but because of the country i was born in.

Aaron W.
10-28-2005, 08:44 PM
I like basketball analogies.

But I haven't the slightest idea what kind of player I would be. Maybe I'm the coach. I can do the pre-game strategies and post-game analysis, but I don't really play the game.

Vote4Pedro
10-28-2005, 09:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm definitely Irk no D Nowitzki. Not because of my play, for i do know the meaning of the word DEFENSE /images/graemlins/grin.gif, but because of the country i was born in.

[/ QUOTE ]

fyp

trainslayer
10-28-2005, 09:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I like basketball analogies.

But I haven't the slightest idea what kind of player I would be. Maybe I'm the coach. I can do the pre-game strategies and post-game analysis, but I don't really play the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

POTD, maybe the Y

detruncate
10-28-2005, 11:08 PM
Generic 10th man. Showed a bit of early promise, sees at least some of the things better players do but is a step or two too slow, has to content himself with jacking up a shot in garbage time to get his name on the score sheet.

pryor15
10-29-2005, 02:49 AM
the few times i'm playing well i'm like john stockton, a crafty [censored] who scores when you aren't looking, but usually like Joe Klein--big, dumb, and easily tripped up by donk holding 22.

benkath1
10-29-2005, 09:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It is generally a good idea to check which thread you're posting in prior to making the post.

[/ QUOTE ]

nh

10-30-2005, 12:10 AM
I hit on the cheerleaders, play pick-up ball with little kids, take their money, then blow it all on coke.

ChuckyB
10-30-2005, 12:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If you saw me playing poker, you would immediately think of Willis Reed in Game Seven of the 1970 Finals.

[/ QUOTE ]

You limp a lot?

ChuckyB
10-30-2005, 12:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Oh, and I'm Kobe Bryant for obvious reasons.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because you rape people at the table?

ChuckyB
10-30-2005, 12:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I hit on the cheerleaders, play pick-up ball with little kids, take their money, then blow it all on coke.

[/ QUOTE ]

Len Bias? Is that you?

ChuckyB
10-30-2005, 12:48 AM
I'd like to be like Shawn Kemp...get a hundred million handed to me, then get all fat, lazy and lose all the respect I'd earned through years of work.

In truth, I'm more like Steve Wojciechowski. (And if you understand what I mean, you're my new basketball friend)

pryor15
10-30-2005, 04:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'd like to be like Shawn Kemp...get a hundred million handed to me, then get all fat, lazy and lose all the respect I'd earned through years of work.

In truth, I'm more like Steve Wojciechowski. (And if you understand what I mean, you're my new basketball friend)

[/ QUOTE ]

hell, i'm impressed you spelled it right.

10-30-2005, 05:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

its for these EXACT reasons we have to raise here. the 6 and 7s still in the deck give us ~4 outs, discounted for the flush draw that would leave us with no idea where we stood.

and when we do hit on the turn, we have to 3bet here, there is at least a 60% chance he has an overpair and with another player in the pot we are definitely +ev. (although if MP3 caps we should slow down)

river is good, nh