PDA

View Full Version : Flop top set w/ bare ace on flush draw board

10-28-2005, 01:41 PM
10 handed

Hero is SB w/ $63
Villian is UTG3 w/ $32

Hero holds: 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif A/images/graemlins/club.gif A/images/graemlins/heart.gif 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif

Preflop:
3 limpers including Villian, MP2 and Button, blinds both check.

Pot = 2.5

Flop: 3/images/graemlins/club.gif A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 8/images/graemlins/club.gif

Hero checks, Villian bets 2, folds to Hero who calls 2, BB folds.

Pot = 6.5

Turn: 3/images/graemlins/club.gif A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 8/images/graemlins/club.gif 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif

Hero checks, Villian bets 5, Hero ?

I will provide results a bit later. Last two pots that Hero was involved in were against Villian. Both pots ended on the turn when Hero made a pot sized bet, so Villian may feel a little run over.

Agree/disagree with trap check/call on flop? What line does Hero take on turn/river?

josie_wales
10-28-2005, 02:04 PM
I do not like to check call the flop as you are essentialy giving a free card. Pot or check pot. You said that he is feeling run over, perhaps now is when he stands up to you.

On the turn, you now car not afraid of the free card...Is it now that you raised him out? If so that is backwards.

That said, I (1) want more in the pot and (2) dont want to lose him and (3) want a larger pot, so he is more apt to call a larger river bet.

Thus, making it $11 or $12 straight has him calling ~$6 into a ~$24 pot...or about 4-1 odds. This accomplises two things (1) builds the pot (2) gives him enticing odds to call.

If he doesnt call, then he want calling the river anyway...If he does call By CRinfg the pot is now $30, meaning that a 1/4 pot value bet is $15 rather than $6 if you had smooth called his turn bet.

One mans opinon,
JW

Tilt
10-28-2005, 02:14 PM
I hate that flop play. Bet out I say, then call.

I would call the turn. The 3 will scare him. I think you get paid more if you let him catch a flush on the river. I do a pot sized stop n go here. If he has 88 or even a bare 3 he'll reraise you.

10-29-2005, 04:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I hate that flop play. Bet out I say, then call.

I would call the turn. The 3 will scare him. I think you get paid more if you let him catch a flush on the river. I do a pot sized stop n go here. If he has 88 or even a bare 3 he'll reraise you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Originally, I was going to check raise here, but when that opponent bet out and cleared the field, I felt that he was likely to hang himself.

So, does everyone else hate this play. I was also thinking that since I had the bare ace in the third club fell on the turn, I could still protect my hand.

joewatch
10-29-2005, 06:29 PM
My thoughts:
1. The bare ace play doesn't work when the pot is small. Wait until you are playing in a raised pot
2. You should be building a pot on the flop either by leading or check-raising.
3. Your play is otherwise OK.