PDA

View Full Version : Physical memory dump

ripdog
10-28-2005, 12:20 PM
After installing a new ethernet card on my Dell 4100 I have been getting this scary blue screen that says "dumping physical memory to disk". It has happened three times and I haven't copied down the exact error message that goes with it yet. I have seen the ethernet card model number in the message, so I suspect that there is something up with that. This error occurs when I try to enable the network connection. I'll try to get the entire error message when it happens again. The computer reboots, checks the disk, and starts up again and is fine for a few days. I googled it and found only one bit of possibly useful info:

In Windows 2K, this issue could also be associated with a driver that is being loaded when Windows restarts. A possible solution to this problem would be to do a google search for and then download a program called "Startup Control Panel" which will allow you to go in and edit the startup folder in Windows 2K.

Once the program is in place, simply uncheck all items that do not need to start up when you reboot your computer. This procedure will not only increase your boot up time but it will likely eliminate the bad driver that is loading and causing your Blue Screen Memory Dump Error. Even if this remedy is not the cause of your error, the "Startup Control Panel" is a great utility to have in Windows 2K.

I think he meant to say decrease boot up time /images/graemlins/tongue.gif, but I don't think it will solve my problem because I need that driver to access my DSL connection. What to do, what to do? I have also been getting an error 623 mesage (Cannot load dialogue: The system could not find a phone book entry for this connection) and the dial up modem can't seem to find a dial tone. Don't know if they're seperate problems or not.

Anybody have experience with this?

stabn
10-28-2005, 01:33 PM
Try getting new drivers for your network card and installing them. Otherwise exchange it for a different video card. If you give the exact bugcheck code i might be able to narrow down another solution but there's really no reason to [censored] with a new card if it is causing you problems. A 3rd option to try after a new driver would be to update your bios or put the card in another PCI slot.

ripdog
10-28-2005, 02:41 PM
Getting new drivers will be the first thing I try. It just happened again. The first part of the message says KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED, then there are a bunch of other numbers, a date stamp, ethernet card model #, it dumps until the counter reaches 100, then contact your...something flashes up just before it re-boots. I wish I could hold the blue screen there long enough to copy it all down.

stabn
10-28-2005, 04:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Getting new drivers will be the first thing I try. It just happened again. The first part of the message says KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED, then there are a bunch of other numbers, a date stamp, ethernet card model #, it dumps until the counter reaches 100, then contact your...something flashes up just before it re-boots. I wish I could hold the blue screen there long enough to copy it all down.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you can boot it into safe mode or otherwise use it before the nic driver loads you can go to:

Right click my computer and select properties
Select advanced
Select startup and recovery The options to get here may be slightly different under XP, i doni't have an XP machine in front of me).

Under startup and recovery there will be an opiton called "Automatically restart"
Uncheck it and hit ok. The next time it bugchecks it will not automatically reboot.

ripdog
11-02-2005, 04:56 PM
I stopped using the desktop shortcut to the LAN and the problem has not occured again.

stabn
11-02-2005, 05:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I stopped using the desktop shortcut to the LAN and the problem has not occured again.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is pretty weird. Congrats on finding a work around /images/graemlins/smile.gif.