PDA

View Full Version : FILM REVIEW: Kiss Me Deadly

diebitter
10-28-2005, 11:29 AM
Made in the fifties, this does appear to be a straightforward hard-boiled detective piece. However, you watch it, and it becomes obvious this has style through and through. So much so, it is considered the daddy of the french New Wave cinema that followed some time later.

It's a Mickey Spillane story, with Mike Hammer. This Hammer is a cold-hearted bugger, who is perfectly happy beating up people for information, or using his secretary (who is in love with him) as a sex-trap for wayward husbands. As he says himself at one point 'gee, ain't I a stinker!'

This film is about some nuclear secret or other in a box, which contains a bright light and creates destruction whenever it's opened ('repo man' and 'pulp fiction' reference this), and seedy, money-grabbing people trying to make their fortune with it.

It's a tight piece, with lots of violence on and just-off screen, and moves at a fair clip. Often, Hammer is beaten unconscious or is beating up someone for information, and pain or violence seem to be present in virtually every scene. I laughed loud (but guiltily) when he'd got to his 4th or 5th person and this one says something like 'what's it worth to ya?', just like all the others, cos by this time Hammer is pissed off, and the weasel in question is going to regret it...

Another moment that sticks in the mind is where 2 thugs corner Hammer in a pool house. You see one approach Hammer, off camera, and then see the other's face change from sneering threat, to surprise, to scared as his pal gets some 'Hammer-time' off camera. Hehehe

All the characters are pretty horrible, and any decent ones tend to get hurt, threatened, or otherwise degraded. Having said that, it's very engaging, exciting and pacey, and well worth watching.

The only downside is one of the lead actresses. She plays a dim, evil-hearted bitch, and her acting is either fantastically brilliant or truly awful - she talks in monotone, either doesn't act at all or overacts wildly, and so on. Luckily it doesn't jar too much given the tone of the picture, but it does sometimes pull you out of the film now and again.

Overall, you shouuld see this at least once. That's the minimum it deserves. It's a fantastic bit of cinema.

Overall: 3.5/5
Rewatchability: Bears rewatching 6 monthly+, especially if you want something hard-boiled.

RATINGS (out of 5):
0 - This is a complete waste of time, and you will regret wasting it
1 - don't bother unless no other options at all
2 - okay for a single watch, if you've got time
3 - Definite watch if you get a chance
4 - See it very soon, at least once before you die
5 - See it immediately, no excuses

Opinions/comments/arguments please, especially if you think I missed anything worth of discussion/expansion, or violently agree or disagree.

PM me any films you'd like reviewed

Recent Reviews:

Secretary (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=3790456&page=&view=&sb=5& o=&fpart=1&vc=1) , The Frighteners (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=exchange&Number=3779516&Fo rum=&Words=review&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Main=37795 16&Search=true&where=bodysub&Name=31573&daterange= 1&newerval=1&newertype=w&olderval=&oldertype=&body prev=#Post3779516)

jakethebake
10-28-2005, 11:31 AM
Mickey Spillane rules. I haven't read any of those books in forever. Maybe I'll dust one off tonight. My favorite was always The Erection Set.

diebitter
10-28-2005, 11:33 AM
I was thinking the same when I wrote this. What's the one with the woman called 'Rondine'. I liked that one, just can'r remember what it's called.

jakethebake
10-28-2005, 11:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I was thinking the same when I wrote this. What's the one with the woman called 'Rondine'. I liked that one, just can'r remember what it's called.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't remember any of the titles offhand, but she was in the Tiger Mann books.

sfer
10-28-2005, 11:39 AM
I think Kiss Me Deadly doesn't hold up particularly well, especially compared to it's contemporaries.

Blarg
10-28-2005, 12:29 PM
Interesting movie, worth watching for the crazy compositions(sometimes you get a conversation with something like only one person's leg in the frame), exaggerated noir lighting and angles, and completely amoral lead hero. This was definitely not your typical noir hero who takes the plunge into the netherworld and somehow comes out clean because he carries his own moral code. This guy just stinks and gives you a greasy, queasy feeling. The same unusual lack of morality surfaces for a brief and in a way triumphant decline at the end of The Long Goodbye, with Elliot Gould, when noir morality, essentially a perverse concept, is subverted with a happy finality after long testing.

jakethebake
10-28-2005, 12:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
...completely amoral lead hero... This guy just stinks and gives you a greasy, queasy feeling. The same unusual lack of morality...

[/ QUOTE ]

This is an interesting take. I don't recall whether I've seen the movie or not, but in reading the books I never found Mike Hammer to be amoral, or particularly immoral either. I got a sense of a definite moral code, albeit different than you or I may have in a lot of ways.

diebitter
10-28-2005, 12:36 PM
You're both right. Blarg is absolutely correct - the movie Hammer has no morals at all, and Jake is right, the book one does.

The film Hammer is not the same character at all as the book Hammer.

Dominic
10-28-2005, 03:02 PM
this is one of my favorites....check out the DVD with the alternate ending....

Amid Cent
10-28-2005, 03:33 PM
The actress who played the slutty Velda is a realtive of mine (by marriage). Every couple of years we would watch this and make fun of her.