PDA

View Full Version : Did I *go on tilt* -Newbie poster

10-28-2005, 10:58 AM
Hi there.

Ive been lurking here for several months and am a relative newbie poker player, trying to improve my game. (I am a math guy, and have played all types of cards all my life) I am looking for some feedback here, advice as to where I screwed up, and generally am asking if I went on tilt during this MTT. (I play strictly no limit)

T4000 is starting chipstack 130players, 200$ buyin, pays the top 9.

I play pretty solid poker in my mind, I get money in the pot when I have slight edges, and avoid pots where I turn out to have second best hand. I slowly build my stack to T40k in chips, and end up making it to the last 2 tables.

Now here is the scenario. Our table is 3 relative big stacks, T40k-T50k, with 5 short stacks T8k-T20k. I am second stack with about T40k.

Johnny big stack gets sent to our table when we close down to the final 2 tables, with T100k, he is two to my left. One to my left is a very Tight Passive, with 14k and I have seen him give his small blind to the big blind after a fold around to him, several times. To my right is a young gun, T19k. The table has for the last 3 rounds been simply pushins from a small stack, versus whatever one big stack ends up calling. blinds are now 2k and 4k.

Here are the three hands in a row:

I am in Big Blind and look down to AsJs. Johnny big stack who just joined us with 100k UTG+1 bets out 10k. Folds around to YoungGun to my right, who pushes all in. I put Big stack on Ace-Blank, and think young gun has a super low pair, or maybe just any two high cards, and I go all in, since any bet will commit me. Johnny big stack calls. Three way pot, Big stack has Ace-Nine off, Young Gun has King-Queen off, and manages to river a nine for a straight, so I win the side pot, but am cut down to about 30k.

Next hand I am in small blind, folds around to me, and the big blind to my left has just enough money to fold this hand and go for one more round before pushing all in with a hlafway decent hand. My read on him tells me he isnt looking to push with this hand, and I decide quickly to just all in with anything, since I have him quite covered (I think I am at T32k and he is T12k) My 2-5 offsuit does not hold against his Q-J off and I look quite stupid for making the bet. ( I seriously seriously thought he was just going to fold )

And next hand I am now the button, with 20k, and johnny big stack is Big blind. Folds around to me, and I have a pair of sixes.

I went all in, and JohnnyBigStack calls with his pair of kings (of course) and my tourney is over.

I normally play pretty tight agressive poker, and do not find myself extremely emotional, nor did I feel like I was out of sorts. I have thought it over since, and even had I not made the silly push with the 2-5, I still would have gone all in with my 6s against kings and been out.

Any advice? Did I go on tilt? As I was walking away, the whole table was commenting to each other (What *WAS* that. Sheesh he musta tilted. etc)

With a pair of 6s on the button, fold around to you, ~T20-30k in chips, T2k T4k blinds, is this an appropriate all-in and I just got unlucky with BigBlind having the kings?

Sorry if I am providing too much or too little detail, first post on this site, ever.

4CardStraight

10-28-2005, 11:07 AM
Welcome to the forums!

I can't see anything wrong with your AJs or 66 play. However I think the 52o you need to let go.

If the BB folds this hand and the next he has 6k or 1.5BB. If you have a better hand I would put him in but with 52o I think you would have been better to fold here. I'm not sure what read you had that was so good but I think he is calling with almost any 2.

To answer your question though: No, it doesn't look like 'tilt' to me. But you have to be your own judge of that. You should be able to honestly ask yourself if losing with AJ caused you to feel like you 'needed' to get some of your lost chips back.

Many times when I lose a pot for about 25% of my stack I look to steal a blind or two right away to make it back up. I think this is a small form of tilt.

qbler
10-28-2005, 11:10 AM
Hand 1: I'm not a huge fan of pushing AJs into an EP raiser who also happens to be one of the two people at the table capable of busting you. You did have a read on him as A-rag that turned out to be correct, but I think given his early position it could just as easily have been AQ-AK or 88+. You also need to consider that while you're probably ahead of young gun's range he most likely has *something* here if he's a decent player because he realizes that he has very little fold equity against big stack. Basically a question of whether you want to go to war with AJ or wait for an opportunity to steal chips with less resistance.

Hand 2: I don't hate the push when it folds to you in your SB with two caveats. One, if the BB only has chips for another round and a half around the table any PP and any two big cards are gonna start looking awfully good to him, and your hand really is utter trash. Two, he saw you just lose a big pot that you were ahead in and may think that you're tilting a bit, and so be more likely to call you than he would normally.

Hand 3: This is just crap luck, M=5, folds to me on the button with 6s, I push every time, sucks BB had Ks.

locutus2002
10-28-2005, 11:31 AM
Hand 1:

Fold. Without a solid read you are behind both players range. You were just lucky to turn up the best cards.

Hand 2:

Fold. Johnny is committed to the pot with his stack. You have 8XBB left, probably an average stack.

Hand 3:

Easy push. You will get called because you have been all-in 3 hands in a row and lost the other two. You are unlikely to be ahead by much and racing for an average stack.

Cactus Jack
10-28-2005, 12:52 PM
Did your eyes cross as you played the third hand? Did you throw chips across the table? Did you question whether the dealer's parents were married? Did you tongue-kiss the fat lady at the end of the table as you walked by? Did you slam the door as you walked out, drove your car straight at a bridge abutment and now posted this from a felt-table beyond the Pearly Gates?

There's your answer, then, right there.