PDA

View Full Version : Was this a decent laydown?

10-28-2005, 10:42 AM
I've been fuming about this one for a while now...

12+1 SNG on PS.

Approximately (im at work and dont have the exact amounts):
Player1 (UTG)t3700
Villain (CO) t2500
Player3 (SB) t1500
Hero (BB) t4500

Blinds are at: 50/100

Down to 4 players...

I'm dealt 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif in the BB. One limper in the CO...I raise it up 4x BB to t400.

Villain calls.

Pot is now t850.

Flop: K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 5/images/graemlins/club.gif

Villain bets 200.

Hero re-raise 3x to t600.

Villain calls.

Pot is now t2050.

Turn: 10/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Villain pushes.

Hero goes into tank and folds.

Villain shows cards and shows that he only had 4 diamonds...no pair.

So, based on the bets, I could see villain wasn't representing the K so I felt comfortable about that. I felt I re-raised villain out of the flush draw on the flop...but he called anyway. Im thinking now that I should have raised it more than this...maybe all in at this point...but there was still the possibility of a K beating me (although unlikely).

What clues would you guys have picked up on to be able to make that call? Or even knowing the fact that he didnt have anything, over the long run, is it a good laydown?

Thanks.

10-28-2005, 10:48 AM
We need to know what level this SNG was and what the chipstacks were to make a decision.

schwza
10-28-2005, 10:49 AM
we need stack sizes before we can say anything reasonable. if you don't remember, take your best guess.

edit: stack sizes for all 4. and yes, you should've folded.

SonnyJay
10-28-2005, 10:53 AM
Yeah it's impossible to judge w/o the 4 stack sizes, blind level, buyin, etc.

The only thing I'll say is that if this is a low buyin SNG and you both have a good amount of chips left, I don't feel many people are laying down their flush draw having to call 400 chips into a 1800 chip pot.

edit: Even though we need the other info to comment on most of the hand, once you're in your turn situation I don't think you can ever make this call. We still need the info though, it's possible there was a better line to take elsewhere in the hand.

-SonnyJay

10-28-2005, 11:01 AM
Ok...sorry...I added more info. Thanks.

tigerite
10-28-2005, 11:10 AM
I would have raised to t600 preflop. Maybe even t750. Then if he bet the flop so weakly there would be enough of the pot I could raise him either so much he'd feel his stack was in danger by calling (i.e. he'd be committed) or just push.

SonnyJay
10-28-2005, 11:33 AM
Eh, I think that t750 is kinda overkill, but a bigger raise could be fine. I personally wouldn't go higher than t500.

I still disagree with
[ QUOTE ]
I felt I re-raised villain out of the flush draw on the flop

[/ QUOTE ]
since he can call t400 into what has become a very large pot. Once he pushes the turn you're done. For every time he shows you a lone diamond you'll see something beating you many more times.

Question to OP: he calls your flop raise, turn is a T /images/graemlins/diamond.gif, he checks to you. What's your line?

-SonnyJay

ChrisV
10-28-2005, 11:36 AM
I'd push the flop. If villain has min bet out at me with a king, then nice work him.

10-28-2005, 11:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Eh, I think that t750 is kinda overkill, but a bigger raise could be fine. I personally wouldn't go higher than t500.

I still disagree with
[ QUOTE ]
I felt I re-raised villain out of the flush draw on the flop

[/ QUOTE ]
since he can call t400 into what has become a very large pot. Once he pushes the turn you're done. For every time he shows you a lone diamond you'll see something beating you many more times.

Question to OP: he calls your flop raise, turn is a T /images/graemlins/diamond.gif, he checks to you. What's your line?

-SonnyJay

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I can agree with you there. After looking it over again he was getting 4:1 on his money...and he was 4:1 to hit his flush draw if he was on one...even money over time. I should have raised it so he was only getting 3:1.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Good question...combined with the min raise and call, and the 3 diamonds on the board I would have to put him on slow playing the nut flush. I think I would check it down. You?

kyro
10-28-2005, 02:53 PM
If you're going to raise the flop, don't be such a girlyman about it.

10-28-2005, 05:44 PM
There are some good things about this hand and a couple problems. Let's look at the hand as it played out.

First your preflop raise is fine. You narrowed the field to one opponent and as it stands your hand is probably best right now.
Your read on him postflop seems correct. With top pair and a diamond draw on board,only a fool would bet 200. His bet reeks of a blocking bet and I would certainly put him on a diamond draw.

Here's where the problem lies and where you put yourself in a real bind. Your reraise of his bet was WAY too small. I read where you said you should have given him 3-to-1. Don't even give him that as his implied odds would justify a call even with those odds. You should have reraised him 1000. This accomplishes three things.

1) you're now giving him 2.5-to-1 odds to call his flush draw.

2)you're telling him he has to commit half his stack to call.

3) it shows him you're ready to go all the way with this hand.

My guess is he folds. That said, given the way the hand played out, your lay down is absolutely correct. He's saying he hit his flush and I don't see any reason to disbelieve him.

Lastly, as far as fuming over him showing you his bluff, you need to let these things go immediately. Its tough and your reaction is human nature. No one likes to be made a fool of, especially in front of others. But don't let it affect your play. Remember, you have plenty of chips and time left.
The next time it happens type in "Nice bluff...lol",even if your grinding your teeth when you do. Maybe get up get a drink of water or go outside and get some fresh air. You seem to have good discipline and soon you'll train yourself to shut out any negativity while you play. You're going to take bad beats and you're going to get bluffed.

MegaBet
10-28-2005, 05:54 PM
You got outplayed, pure and simple. Representing a river flush is my favorite move. It never works enough long term in the lower buy-ins, but is VERY effective at the higher buy-ins.

Simplistic
10-28-2005, 07:31 PM
i was thinking about this hand through and slightly agree.

if you get raised with a flush draw on the board, unless your opponent is tricky and deceptive then you can call and get him to fold if the flush hits.

bluefeet
10-28-2005, 07:39 PM
nice 1st post 54, welcome to the forum (not that i'm on the welcoming committee, but...yeah, welcome)

[/end mini-hijack]