PDA

View Full Version : Interesting villian from Super Thursday

Rizen
10-28-2005, 10:35 AM
Last night in the Super Thursday around blind level 75/150 I had a healthy stack of ~5000 and some new players were moved into our table. I was sitting in the 3 seat and villian was in the 9 seat. Villian had a somewhat unique strategy: Villian would only either limp or min-raise any hand he entered. Then, if ANYONE re-raised behind him he would immediately push in, without fail (and if the raise either was all in or put him all in, he would auto-call). By the time I got this read on him he had managed to amass 5000 chips through people folding and winning a couple of coinflips against shorties. The blinds had also just been raised to 100/200, and he had once gotten me to fold getting my stack down to ~4200.

I'd only seen him show down ~3 hands, but it seemed like his range was PP > 6 and any 'blackjack' hand (AT+). This wasn't a solid read as I'd only seen him show down a handful of hands, but the frequency that he was doing this would indicate that his range was fairly loose, at least by all in standards.

Whether he just limped or min-raised I couldn't tell if either was a sign of more strength. He had shown down QQ the one time he had min-raised, so it might be reasonable to expect that he was min-raising the better hands in his range (maybe QQ+/AK) and limping with the rest.

My question to you all, is what's your plan on hands that villian limps/min-raises, and what's your plan on hands where you act before villian does PF? At the time I felt this read was fairly solid there was about 18 mins left at the 100/200 level, and I had ~4200 chips. Enough I was a little hesitant to get all in without feeling I had better than a coin flip, but low enough if I waited until the 200/400 increase to make any sort of move I'd be dangerously close to all in mode.

I know how I played it, but since it's a somewhat new situation for me, I was curious how others would have played this villian.

-Rizen

schwza
10-28-2005, 10:47 AM
wait for a pretty good hand - something like AQ/TT - and get a-i pre-flop with him. if you have fewer people left to act, loosen it up a little. i'd be trying to limpRR him with these hands if i acted first.

Rizen
10-28-2005, 11:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
wait for a pretty good hand - something like AQ/TT - and get a-i pre-flop with him. if you have fewer people left to act, loosen it up a little. i'd be trying to limpRR him with these hands if i acted first.

[/ QUOTE ]

Given the seat position I rarely acted first, but from what I had seen from other players he would often just call if players before him had limped, he would only re-raise all in if he had limped or min-raised and someone else raised him. I left this information out to begin with, and I apologize.

So TT+/AQ+ is the range you want to tangle with villian with? Does this change at all if villian open min-raises instead of limps, or do you assume his holdings are roughly the same either way? Or do you care in this situation?

-Rizen

10-28-2005, 11:19 AM
How did he play on the flop? I can't imagine everytime he limped or min raised some one came over the top and they got it in preflop.

Rizen
10-28-2005, 01:54 PM
He didn't get to many flops, but when he did he played pretty aggressively. I probably got to see 25-30 hands from this guy and he'd done the over the top move 7 times or so, and had seen maybe 1-2 flops and took them down with somewhat aggressive bets. No one ever played back at him, so I don't know how he would have behaved...

-Rizen