PDA

View Full Version : Peter Jackson's King Kong

imported_The Vibesman
10-28-2005, 09:58 AM
Story (http://movies.yahoo.com/mv/news/eo/20051027/113045370000.html)

Apparently this bad boy clocks in around 3 hours.

Is anyone else getting sick of the 3 hour epic yet? I remember when they could cram a whole story into two-, two and a half hours no problem. If Glory didn't run three hours, does King Kong need to?

Anyone think this has the potential to be a huge flop?

FouTight
10-28-2005, 10:00 AM
if it truely IS an "epic" I don't mind a 3 hour film...

in fact, I prefer it, I would rather a good movie just keep going.

If it's a 3 hour pile of [censored] (Pearl Harbor) then it's just a terrible experience.

diebitter
10-28-2005, 10:02 AM
blinden == Truth

3 hours of a good film, if you're not tired and good seats is wonderful.

3 hours of crap is terrible.

I expect Jackon's stuff to be in the first group.

Looks good on the trailer, BTW.

Peter666
10-28-2005, 10:05 AM
Why spoil a good thing? How many Kong movies have already been made up to now? I doubt this one will touch the original, even though Jackson is a good director (despite the fact that the last 30 mins of ROTK should have been done in a 2 minute montage.)

KaneKungFu123
10-28-2005, 10:13 AM
ive never watched any of lord of the rings, star wars or harry potter for this reason.

imported_The Vibesman
10-28-2005, 10:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
ive never watched any of lord of the rings, star wars or harry potter for this reason.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought the first two LOTR films were fine, not overly stretched out or anything. I agree that ROTK should have been twenty minutes shorter at least (I remember thinking that if I had to sit through one more scene w/ Frodo and Sam crying reminiscing about The Shire I was gonna throw up). I haven't seen the new Star Wars films.

I've never seen the whole King Kong, any version. Really, can there be enough story there for three hours, or will it just be an effects showcase?

KaneKungFu123
10-28-2005, 10:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought the first two LOTR films were fine, not overly stretched out or anything. I agree that ROTK should have been twenty minutes shorter at least (I remember thinking that if I had to sit through one more scene w/ Frodo and Sam crying reminiscing about The Shire I was gonna throw up). I haven't seen the new Star Wars films.

I've never seen the whole King Kong, any version. Really, can there be enough story there for three hours, or will it just be an effects showcase?

[/ QUOTE ]

movies that are mostly about the special effects can be fun to watch on the big screen, watching them at home is impossible for me. i hate long movies.

partygirluk
10-28-2005, 10:28 AM
Do cinemas in the U.S bisect a showing with a 5 minute break? None do over here, and it is really annoying, especially with these 3 hours films. I think it would be smart for them too, as customers would use the break to replenish their supplies.

FouTight
10-28-2005, 10:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Do cinemas in the U.S bisect a showing with a 5 minute break? None do over here, and it is really annoying, especially with these 3 hours films. I think it would be smart for them too, as customers would use the break to replenish their supplies.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was a theatre projectionist for a few years while I was in school and I can only remember one movie having an intermission, and it was actually built into the film, it was just a black section of film that ran for abotu 10 minutes with some music.

I can't remember what the movie was either, I think it was a civil war movie, it was a few years ago.

Gods and Generals was the movie (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0279111/)

KaneKungFu123
10-28-2005, 10:36 AM
I know this....

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was a theatre projectionist for a few years while I was in school and I can only remember one movie having an intermission, and it was actually built into the film, it was just a black section of film that ran for abotu 10 minutes with some music.

I can't remember what the movie was either, I think it was a civil war movie, it was a few years ago.

[/ QUOTE ]

because tyler knows this...

imported_The Vibesman
10-28-2005, 10:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Do cinemas in the U.S bisect a showing with a 5 minute break?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope.

daveymck
10-28-2005, 10:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank [censored] they dont I hate the cinema at times cos of all the sweet paper noises, pick and mix bag noises and then popcorn being rustled about, it normally dies down after 5 minutes of the film having it happen again would piss me off even more.

THese days I would prefer to watch films a home got my nice home cinema system and no distractions, well apart from the kids and our lass asking for the nice home cinema system to be turned down as the bass rips through the house.

Brain
10-28-2005, 11:03 AM
http://www.cinemovie.info/DenzelWashington/1.jpg

King Kong ain't got nothin' on me!

CrazyEyez
10-28-2005, 11:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
King Kong ain't got nothin' on me!

[/ QUOTE ]
Should have been a GA.

Patrick del Poker Grande
10-28-2005, 11:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Also, I believe there was a break in the middle of Schindler's List.

WDC
10-28-2005, 11:09 AM
Now if Kong were battling Godzilla then I could see three hours.

jakethebake
10-28-2005, 11:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

By the time I'm halfway through most 3-hour movies I just want them to get it over with.

WDC
10-28-2005, 11:12 AM
Back in the day late 70's to early 80's I managed or worked at threatres. Long movies were more apt to have intermissions back then. Currently, with multiplexes, automatic projectors and trying to show a movie as many times as possible in a day, intermissions are almost nonexistant.

Dominic
10-28-2005, 11:16 AM
I like long movies...makes it an Event."

as long as they're good, of course.

imported_The Vibesman
10-28-2005, 11:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]

By the time I'm halfway through most 3-hour movies I just want them to get it over with.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, this is the same feeling i get unless the movie is top-notch.