PDA

View Full Version : When to gamble to double up

betgo
10-28-2005, 09:24 AM
We usually analyze hands in terms of whether a play is chip EV+. Some people make the argument that you shouldn't take an EV+ play, because you are risking all your chips. This is rightly perceived by the consensus of good players here as a scared weak/tight approach. However, there is an underlying issue of when it is good to gamble for all your chips.

Gigabet presented a theory here that it is sometimes good to take a slightly EV- gamble to become a big stack, because of the advantages later on of the big stack. This may be particularly true for Gigabet.

Sklansky in TPFAP players implied that gambling to double up is unfavorable, because additional chips are worth less.

Brunson in SS2 cites approvingly Hellmuth's laydown of an open ended straight flush draw to a big overbet reraise allin early in a tournament. Brunson says that as one of the best players, Hellmuth realized that it was more important to survive than double up. Hellmuth's play was not as crazy as it may seem, because Hellmuth had reason to believe he was behind a set or a higher flush draw, since what would someone push with on a coordinated board. In fact, he was even versus 2 pair.

It seems there are some situations where it is favorable to gamble to double up. If you have an average to large stack from the point where half the players are eliminated to just vefore the final table, then doubling up will give you a big stack you can play aggressively and also give you a better shot at the big prizes.

Early in the tournament and when you are a short stack, doubling up seems more marginal, as survival may be more important than doubling up, particularly if you are one of the better players.

If you are a big stack at the final table, it is probably not a good idea to go allin against another big stack, since you don't need to double up to finish in the top three stacks.

With 30 players remaining, going allin against another big stack is probably worth the risk to try to build a monster
stack and try to win the tournament.

Slow Play Ray
10-28-2005, 09:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
With 30 players remaining, going allin against another big stack is probably worth the risk to try to build a monster stack and try to win the tournament.

[/ QUOTE ]

Though I realize it isn't really your original point, I've noticed one advantage of this strategy is the far greater fold equity you get from doing so. Some majority of big stacks will try to protect that stack, generally sticking to stealing pots to maintain position, or picking off the shorter stacks cheaply to gain position. They will be particulary wary of other big stacks playing hard at them, and avoid confrontation with those who can put a big dent in them, even with decent holdings.

Obviously, this strategy is highly situation- and read-dependent, but I agree there are times when gambling with a big stack vs. a big stack can be highly EV+, particularly when this additional fold equity is added to the mix.

People_Mover
10-28-2005, 09:56 AM
The greatest advice I ever received was through a PM from sirio11 after I questioned him about his success in MTT. He said, "always try to put the decision in the other person's hands when it comes for THEIR chips." It totally changed the way I played.

betgo
10-28-2005, 10:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Though I realize it isn't really your original point, I've noticed one advantage of this strategy is the far greater fold equity you get from doing so. Some majority of big stacks will try to protect that stack, generally sticking to stealing pots to maintain position, or picking off the shorter stacks cheaply to gain position. They will be particulary wary of other big stacks playing hard at them, and avoid confrontation with those who can put a big dent in them, even with decent holdings.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is kind of aside from the main point of my post, but sometimes you have to be careful when other big stacks challenge you, and I would not necessarily play back.

I was in a tournament yesterday, where I was the table leader with 110K. Second leader raises my BB from middle position 3xBB to 12K. I'm thinking, what is he doing raising my blind. I think of pushing on a semibluff with 22, but decide he probably has a hand and I fold. He shows AA.