PDA

View Full Version : Too Risky? TT in BB, semi-bluff check/raise

jasonHoldEm
06-11-2003, 01:44 AM
Hi everyone,

Well, the reviews for my first hand went pretty well. I suspect this hand might be generate some more heated debate though. /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

1/2 hand

The table had been fairly agressive (usually at least one raise pre-flop), I've been watching the key raisers carefully and I've seen a lot of Ace-ugly hands being put in for a raise (as is typical in the low limits, people tend to over value naked aces).

Anyways, I'm in the BB with TT.

Action is folded around to MP who open-raises, folded around to me and I call one bet.

FLOP: 9, K, 7 rainbow

hmmm...not sure where I'm at.

I check, he hesitates* and then bets, I call.

I know that hesitation is not a very good indicator of anything (especially online, as it could be caused by a number of factors); however, I will say that his actions on other hands usually came more quickly. I'm relatively sure he is either bluffing trying to pick up the pot, or is betting middle or bottom pair. I'm pretty sure I'm ahead.

Turn: K (completes the rainbow)

I see this as a good opportunity to go for a check/raise semi-bluff. I'm pretty sure I'm ahead, but there are too many cards that I don't want to see on the river. I'd rather pick it up here.

I check, he hesitates again then bets, I fire a quick raise, he mucks.

Too risky?

When I was playing the hand I was thinking he had A9 or A7, when I reviewed the hand myself I saw the possibility of JT for a double gutshot straight draw. Given what I know of the player he would have open-raised with JT, maybe he was betting a draw here?

Thanks in advance,
jHE

Al_Capone_Junior
06-11-2003, 02:23 AM
I don't think this was too risky, not in a limit game. He'd been playing crazy and you looked him up. Of course sometimes he'll have the K and you'll be sorry, but what the heh, I liked it anyway.

One thing, a semi-bluff was a bit of a stretch, since you had only two outs.

Also, if he had a double belly-buster, he wouldn't have folded to your raise.

al

jasonHoldEm
06-11-2003, 02:29 AM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
One thing, a semi-bluff was a bit of a stretch, since you had only two outs.

[/ QUOTE ]

D'oh...sorry for confusing the language (I'm still a newbie).

I was refering to the fact I thought he was betting middle/bottom pair (but not sure)...so this was a "semi-bluff" in that I might be ahead or behind, but not sure.

I looked it up...semi-bluff refers to having the chance of improving to best hand, so yeah...with two outs it's pretty thin. /forums/images/icons/blush.gif

Thanks,
jHE