PDA

View Full Version : ($27) ITM SB play

durron597
10-28-2005, 07:59 AM
I got a "?" typed in the chat for this one. Thoughts?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t800 (3 handed) pokerhand.org hand converter (http://www.pokerhand.org)

Button (t1893)
Hero (t6677)
BB (t4930)

Preflop: Hero is SB with K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#CC3333">Button raises to t1843</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t6627</font>,

Scuba Chuck
10-28-2005, 08:00 AM
Yeah, it's 7AM, why are you playing poker?

I'd prolly call too.

durron597
10-28-2005, 08:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, it's 8AM, why are you reading 2+2?

[ QUOTE ]
I'd prolly call too.

[/ QUOTE ]

This opponent was on the tight side, but I thought with the dead money from the BB this was clear. *shrug*

Scuba Chuck
10-28-2005, 08:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, it's 8AM, why are you reading 2+2?

[ QUOTE ]
I'd prolly call too.

[/ QUOTE ]

This opponent was on the tight side, but I thought with the dead money from the BB this was clear. *shrug*

[/ QUOTE ]

Two sick kids, and sick mom, means I get to go to bed here soon.

Yeah, and getting something like 2.2:1 to call here makes this pretty f.ing easy.

tigerite
10-28-2005, 08:13 AM
Yeah, it seems fine. I did something similar yesterday, Button in that case had KQ, BB called with AK.

Pity I had AA and them both covered.

10-28-2005, 08:14 AM
All I know is, my gut says "maybe".

I think it's pretty close between isolating and calling hoping to check it down *against some opponents*. Maybe I will do some math later, this is actually a pretty interesting question to me. So long as it's close, I'd prefer calling and checking it down for image purposes.

durron597
10-28-2005, 08:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, it seems fine. I did something similar yesterday, Button in that case had KQ, BB called with AK.

Pity I had AA and them both covered.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hehehe.

Well, it's +0.5% if he's only pushing top 25%... and I really don't see him folding QTs here...

durron597
10-28-2005, 08:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]

I think it's pretty close between isolating and calling hoping to check it down. Maybe I will do some math later, this is actually a pretty interesting question to me. So long as it's close, I'd prefer calling and checking it down for image purposes.

[/ QUOTE ]

This pot is going to be huge. I don't want the BB to have a shot at it, it's not enough of an $EV improvement to call and check it down. If Button had like, exactly 800 chips I would do that maybe.

ChrisW
10-28-2005, 08:40 AM
If the BB is obsessed with eliminating the short stack (only coming over the top of your call with a monster, and checking it down unless he hits the flop hard), my math makes it look like a small mistake to move in.

On the other hand, if the BB will bet all sorts of mediocre hands on the flop, that not only decreases your chance of winning but also increases the short stack's chance to double up. In that case, you have to get him out of the way by moving in.

If you don't know about the BB's tendencies, it's no big deal whether you call or push.

10-28-2005, 08:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I think it's pretty close between isolating and calling hoping to check it down. Maybe I will do some math later, this is actually a pretty interesting question to me. So long as it's close, I'd prefer calling and checking it down for image purposes.

[/ QUOTE ]

This pot is going to be huge. I don't want the BB to have a shot at it, it's not enough of an $EV improvement to call and check it down. If Button had like, exactly 800 chips I would do that maybe.

[/ QUOTE ]

Correct me if I'm wrong here--and I've been up more than 24 hours so it's entirely possible I'm missing something trivial--but the only time you would rather isolate than check down is when the results are that BB beats Hero beats Button. Of course you would very much rather isolate then (while the other five possible results are relatively* close but favor checking down) but that's also the results where isolating is the least likely to work.

I'm pretty sure this depends quite a bit on how BB is going to act (I edited in "*against certain opponents*" to my previous post right before you finished replying).

*Actually BB beats Button beats Hero might not be that close

durron597
10-28-2005, 09:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If the BB is obsessed with eliminating the short stack (only coming over the top of your call with a monster, and checking it down unless he hits the flop hard), my math makes it look like a small mistake to move in.

On the other hand, if the BB will bet all sorts of mediocre hands on the flop, that not only decreases your chance of winning but also increases the short stack's chance to double up. In that case, you have to get him out of the way by moving in.

If you don't know about the BB's tendencies, it's no big deal whether you call or push.

[/ QUOTE ]

Remember, the BB still has to call 1000 chips here. I didn't say it in the OP, but he is not doing that with 100% of hands.