PDA

View Full Version : Michael Mann

sublime
10-28-2005, 07:37 AM
I just watched "Thief" again last night and googled his name to see if there were any old movies of his I have not seen (I love his work, but thats like saying the The Beatles were good) and saw this:

Miami Vice (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0430357/)

Shall we get excited?

imported_The Vibesman
10-28-2005, 08:22 AM
Not sure I'm wild about the casting.

Honestly, I don't really love Mann's work. His movies are paced a bit too slow for me, and his style is a bit too slick. I usually enjoy watching the film, but find myself restless and waiting for the end.

I'll probably catch this on DVD or something though.

diebitter
10-28-2005, 08:27 AM
Yeah, he's okay.

The Keep was pretty good, but I don't think you can get it on DVD. Manhunter pretty good too, and Last of the Mohicans was great to look at, but a little cold emotionally given the strength of the source material.

Heat was good, but a little overrated by many, IMHO.

I think his earlier films are the better ones myself.

sublime
10-28-2005, 08:42 AM
His movies are paced a bit too slow for me, and his style is a bit too slick.

I agree with the first part, but the second part is what I enjoy about his work. I am a sucker for the 'tough guy, slick mofo' roles though.

imported_The Vibesman
10-28-2005, 08:54 AM
I take it you've seen Manhunter? That's the first of his films I can remember seeing...based on Red Dragon. I think I saw the Keep when I was very young, I don't really remember that one. Didn't know Mann directed it, I might check it out again.

sublime
10-28-2005, 09:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I take it you've seen Manhunter? That's the first of his films I can remember seeing...based on Red Dragon. I think I saw the Keep when I was very young, I don't really remember that one. Didn't know Mann directed it, I might check it out again.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, Manhunter was good.

I have never seen The Keep. It got awful reviews on RT though.

diebitter
10-28-2005, 09:18 AM
Whatever RT is, ignore it. The Keep is a very stylish and interesting film. The only bad thing about it is the 'monster' is not very realistic. Otherwise it's worth a watch, easy.

sublime
10-28-2005, 09:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Whatever RT is, ignore it. The Keep is a very stylish and interesting film. The only bad thing about it is the 'monster' is not very realistic. Otherwise it's worth a watch, easy.

[/ QUOTE ]

RottenTomatoes rules duder!

Although, you cant take others opinions to the bank.

sfer
10-28-2005, 09:37 AM
I'm excited. How good was Heat?

imported_The Vibesman
10-28-2005, 09:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A lot of people really like it, but I couldn't watch the whole thing, and I tried two or three times. Just didn't do much for me.

KaneKungFu123
10-28-2005, 09:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A lot of people really like it, but I couldn't watch the whole thing, and I tried two or three times. Just didn't do much for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

First person Ive ever heard say they couldn't finish Heat.

KaneKungFu123
10-28-2005, 09:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ROFL

CrazyEyez
10-28-2005, 09:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I go back and forth on how good I think this movie is. I think overall it's just alright, but it has some great individual scenes.

The gun fight is probably the best I've ever seen in a movie.

10-28-2005, 09:50 AM
I rented Thief for the first time a couple of months ago, GREAT movie imo. Sublime if you havent seen it, check out Mean Streets, very similar to thief and just as good if not better.

imported_The Vibesman
10-28-2005, 09:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I rented Thief for the first time a couple of months ago, GREAT movie imo. Sublime if you havent seen it, check out Mean Streets, very similar to thief and just as good if not better.

[/ QUOTE ]

Anyone that hasn't seen Mean Streets should immediately check it out.

sublime
10-28-2005, 09:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I go back and forth on how good I think this movie is. I think overall it's just alright, but it has some great individual scenes.

[/ QUOTE ]

pretty much agree. i also like the scene with pacino and deniro in the diner and the film work (or whatever) leading up to that (the overhead view of the freeway). its very simaler to the scene in collateral when the wolves are crossign the street and auidoslave is playing.

sublime
10-28-2005, 09:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Anyone that hasn't seen Mean Streets should immediately check it out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I have seen it of course. Great stuff.

10-28-2005, 10:12 AM
I really like this genre of movies (real- real life crime), so here is a list of movies that fall into that nior/crime section that I really liked.

Thursday (weird, but good)
Criminal (decent con movie)
House of Cards
Sexy Beast (British gang movie)
Wannabes (the acting is somewhat bad, but for some reason it is a pretty neat movie. Shows teh rise of some contemporary kids, in NYC, who open up a book, and join the mafia).
Hard Eight (this is kind of the "prequal" to Criminal)

imported_The Vibesman
10-28-2005, 10:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I really like this genre of movies (real- real life crime), so here is a list of movies that fall into that nior/crime section that I really liked.

House of Cards
Wannabes (the acting is somewhat bad, but for some reason it is a pretty neat movie. Shows teh rise of some contemporary kids, in NYC, who open up a book, and join the mafia).

[/ QUOTE ]

The only ones of these I have seen are Sexy Beast, which was a really good movie powered by an INCREDIBLE Ben Kingsley performance, and Hard Eight, which was a very enjoyable movie with a decent cast, and is the only thing I have ever liked Gwyneth Paltrow in.

I'll keep an eye out for the others.

10-28-2005, 10:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

House of Cards

[/ QUOTE ]

The only ones of these I have seen are Sexy Beast, which was a really good movie powered by an INCREDIBLE Ben Kingsley performance, and Hard Eight, which was a very enjoyable movie with a decent cast, and is the only thing I have ever liked Gwyneth Paltrow in.

I'll keep an eye out for the others.

[/ QUOTE ]

I totally forgot about Gangster No. 1. It stars the "imaginary blond guy" from A Beautiful Mind, but he plays a very very good psycho gangster.

sublime
10-28-2005, 10:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]

House of Cards

[/ QUOTE ]

wait. i saw hard eight with gwen, JCR, and the old crusty baker. this is a prequel to another movie? premise?

10-28-2005, 10:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

House of Cards

[/ QUOTE ]

wait. i saw hard eight with gwen, JCR, and the old crusty baker. this is a prequel to another movie? premise?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya, the movie si called Criminal, it came out in 2004 I belive (to dvd). It isnt a pre-qual per se, but Criminal stars John C. Reilly, as a polished, S500 driving, super-con man, so I assumed its the sequal/update of hard eight. Basically, JCR, and his sidekick try to con the media mogul into buying a counterfeit bill for a couple million. I dont want to say much more than that w/o ruining something. Very decent though.

sublime
10-28-2005, 10:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

House of Cards

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya, the movie si called Criminal, it came out in 2004 I belive (to dvd). It isnt a pre-qual per se, but Criminal stars John C. Reilly, as a polished, S500 driving, super-con man, so I assumed its the sequal/update of hard eight. Basically, JCR, and his sidekick try to con the media mogul into buying a counterfeit bill for a couple million. I dont want to say much more than that w/o ruining something. Very decent though.

[/ QUOTE ]

It looks ok, but I dont think its a prequel. I just read what its about and the JCR charecter doesnt fit the H8 backround. In H8 he is borderline retarded /images/graemlins/grin.gif

10-28-2005, 10:29 AM
I saw Heat in the theaters when it came out. It was a bit long, but the scene where they rob the bank is a classic, awesome scene. Also you can't go wrong w/ DeNiro and Pacino in the movie.
I was a big fan of Miami Vice growing up, looking forward to the movie, I like the casting of Collin Farrel and Jamie Fox as Crockett and Tubbs. I hope they bring back Izzy.

Rick Nebiolo
10-28-2005, 10:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The only ones of these I have seen are Sexy Beast, which was a really good movie powered by an INCREDIBLE Ben Kingsley performance

[/ QUOTE ]

Sexy Beast was great but at times I thought it could have used subtitles.

imported_The Vibesman
10-28-2005, 10:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The only ones of these I have seen are Sexy Beast, which was a really good movie powered by an INCREDIBLE Ben Kingsley performance

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've seen a lot of British movies. You get used to the accents after a while.

astroglide
10-28-2005, 02:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

and then you went in! and you opened the door! and you saw her, and you killed her! didn't you, you son of a bitch! *bangs on tree* i saw manhunter for the first time a few years ago and found a lot of the dialogue/overacting embarassingly bad.

http://www.quorndon.com/baptist/dashshow/photos/overacting.jpg

imported_The Vibesman
10-28-2005, 02:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

and then you went in! and you opened the door! and you saw her, and you killed her! didn't you, you son of a bitch! *bangs on tree* i saw manhunter for the first time a few years ago and found a lot of the dialogue/overacting embarassingly bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

This cracked me up. I think of that scene every time I think of that movie, him in the tree; it is pretty overwrought.

Blarg
10-28-2005, 02:40 PM
Anything Mann does has the potential of being great. And his pilot for Miami Vice and some of the episodes were outstanding.

Thief was a great movie. Heat is one of my favorites and endlessly rewatchable. I was even able to bear two stars I'm not that fond of, Cruise and Jamie Foxx, in Collateral.

I'm not sure what the concept is this time around. What sets it off as being in any way interesting or unique. We definitely don't want a recycled t.v. show. Colin Farrell doesn't seem like that interesting an actor to me. Definitely no DeNiro or James Caan. Foxx is talented and will probably grow on me in time. His Ray Charles film helped that enormously.

Anyway, I hope Mann lives up to his potential, which I think is incredible. I'm definitely curious how he intends to do it with this film. Or any film. But it seems like this ground has been gone over before.

diebitter
10-28-2005, 02:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've seen a lot of British movies. You get used to the accents after a while.

[/ QUOTE ]

They all sound okay to me, me old china

Blarg
10-28-2005, 02:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Heat is easily one of my favorite films of the last 20 years.

brettbrettr
10-28-2005, 02:58 PM
No, don't get excited. Michael Mann is a boring, boring director.

brettbrettr
10-28-2005, 03:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You should see more movies.

sublime
10-28-2005, 03:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

HAHAHA. Yeah I remember that now. I felt embarressed for the actor (peterson) during that scene.

Blarg
10-28-2005, 03:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You should see more movies.

[/ QUOTE ]

You should stop being a smart ass twit.

I've probably seen a lot more movies than you have. Not to mention, your taste completely sucks.

brettbrettr
10-28-2005, 03:46 PM
Twit is good. Me likey. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

B Dids
10-28-2005, 04:22 PM
Parts of Heat (fight scene) are really good.

Other parts (the relationship sub plots, the kid sub plot) didn't work for me at all.

It's a fun movie, and it looks and sounds great (amazing sound work during the shootout) but I'm not sure it's as good as people make it out to be.

scrub
10-29-2005, 01:58 AM
People so small.

Rooms so big.

Yawn.

scrub