PDA

View Full Version : Help me with my A/V setup for my HDTV

whiskeytown
10-28-2005, 05:42 AM
I'll probably post this in a different AVS forum but thought I'd bounce it here first -

I have a new Sony 55 inch LCD TV to replace the plasma - I am running 1 HDMI, two Component and I'll need one more input for the computer - I'm out.

I have a progressive upscanning DVD player, an HDTV cable box, an Xbox with HDTV convertor, and I'll have a PC at some point that will require a video card.

What should I be using the HDMI interface for? I assumed the DVD was best with HDMI and that Component was better for Cable - but then I MAY need that HDMI interface for my video card - I don't think I wanna run S Video -

anyone know what should be hooked up to what interface for optimum performance?

Thanks
RB

TBag
10-28-2005, 06:19 AM
Interesting, that's almost the exact same setup I have (except I went for DLP). Anywho, me and my roomies set up a media pc (we network all of our files so we can watch all our divx stuff on the big tube) and also to play the p game every now and then to embrace the ridiculousness of the situation.

To connect the PC, we are very very happy with a DVI -> HDMI cable we got off ebay for less than 10 bucks w/o shipping. Absolute dynamite. It's not 4-table with no overlap, but I'm not sure that's even possible at this point. I highly advise against going to any retail store for that cable, because those douchekings get away with making people pay 60-100 dollars for it. S-video gets a big thumbs down.

Our DVD player is also running HDMI upconverting to 1080i. It looks fantastic in the HDMI slot, but upconverting isn't going to magically make the DVD something it's not, so you're probably fine plugging it into component or s-video if you need to.

As for the cable and Xbox, I would say component would work nicely for them.

Of course, plugging everything into the highest quality input would be optimal (hdmi > dvi > component > s-video etc), but if you only have one hdmi, I would favor putting the PC in there and letting the DVD player rock the components.

Good luck, hopefully all that nice equipment has a solid stereo to go with it /images/graemlins/grin.gif

daveymck
10-28-2005, 06:43 AM
Cant you get hdmi splitter boxes so you can plug in more than one thing? Have seen them in UK mags I assume they are available in the US.

Like This (http://www.e-cost.com/ecost/shop/detail~dpno~494278.asp) one there is a 4 way box on the same site.

jaydub
10-28-2005, 09:41 AM
Why don't you have a receiver? /images/graemlins/confused.gif