PDA

View Full Version : Does hypnosis work?

gmrankin
10-28-2005, 05:06 AM
Not the "in a comedy club you are having sex with your partner hypnosis" but say like for losing weight or quitting smoking (both of witch i need to do). Anyone had any eperience (positive or negitive) with this?

wonkadaddy
10-28-2005, 05:34 AM
depends on the person. for those types of treatments hypnosis is best for getting "over the hump"

so if your main trouble for say quitting smoking was getting past the first few days, hypnosis would be a great option. a good hypnotherapist will make those cigarettes taste like urine.

but if the problem is staying a quitter a month down the road hypnosis won't be near as effective (although it might still help, especially if you repeat your hypnotic sessions fairly often.

gmrankin
10-28-2005, 05:38 AM
I have tried the zyban/patch method before but i would rather do it without the use of drugs and thought that trying this might be worth it.

lastsamurai
10-28-2005, 05:42 AM
My psychology professor in school told me never let anybody hypnotize you.

10-28-2005, 12:13 PM
Yeah, it works, but you have to want it to.

Let's say you want to lose weight, and get a "Lose Weight Now!" hypnotism CD. If you buy this CD thinking it will be some magic thing that will cause the pounds to drop off, it won't. But if you are really motivated, it will assist you, though.

Just like hiring a physical trainer won't get you in shape. You actually have to do what he says and follow his advice, because he won't do it for you. He can only assist you and guide you in the right direction if you have the right motivation. If you don't have the right motivation, forget it.

From personal experience, I was hypnotized by this guy (http://www.frederickwinters.com/) in college three times. He does touring stage shows and also produces self-help CD's. I was pretty fat in college and ordered his "lose weight" CD. I thought it would just make me lose weight. I listened to the CD for a while but didn't lose weight and quit listening.

However, three years later, I actually found the right motivation and started to eat healthy and exercise. I didn't listen to the CD at that time. In fact, in had been a couple years since I had listened to it. However, whenever I went jogging or was deciding what to eat, I could hear the dude's voice in my head:

"You will now begin to exercise."
"You will now begin to eat healthy."

It was kind of like delayed assistance, like when I was finally honest with myself about what I needed to do, the CD helped me.

I hope this helps. Basically, it's not a quick fix or magic or anything, but can assist you if you are really motivated.

wonkadaddy
10-28-2005, 12:40 PM
a bit over-broad and silly. consider that hypnosis is sometimes used by MD's as an alternative to anasthesia when folks can't take drugs/ or be asleep during surgery.

also, as you'd probably guess, self-hypnosis tapes don't tend to be as effective as having someone else lead you through a hypnotic session.

10-28-2005, 01:28 PM
idk about hypnosis working or not, but i read a book called "masters and..." well masters and something. it was about a fairly reputable shrink (possible oxymoron) who became convinced in reincarnation after hypnotizing several people. complete nonsense, but a very good read. i do believe some people can be hypnotized with positive results.