PDA

View Full Version : 200$ NL set vs solid winner large check-raise??

Percussion
10-27-2005, 11:59 PM
is this foldable?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $2 BB (8 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx (http://www.zerodivide.cx/converter)

MP2 ($252.50)
CO ($393.85)
Hero ($200)
SB ($109.90)
BB ($56.85)
UTG ($127.60)
UTG+1 ($323.15)
MP1 ($65)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
[color=#666666]2 folds</font>, MP1 calls $2, [color=#CC3333]MP2 raises to $8</font>, [color=#666666]1 fold</font>, Hero calls $8, [color=#666666]2 folds</font>, MP1 calls $6.

Flop: ($27) 8/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/spade.gif [color=#0000FF](3 players)</font>
MP1 checks, MP2 checks, [color=#CC3333]Hero bets $20</font>, MP1 folds, [color=#CC3333]MP2 raises to $80</font>, Hero ???

Final Pot: $127

PoBoy321
10-28-2005, 12:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
is this foldable?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not by me. Granted, AA and JJ are in his range of hands, but so are AK, AJ, KQ /images/graemlins/club.gif, 9T /images/graemlins/club.gif and a whole slew of big draws he could potentially do this with.

10-28-2005, 01:04 AM
You simply can't worry about an overset on the flop. The odds are way against it and it is a weak play to worry about it. Also, most winning players don't check raise that often with sets. They either lead out and hope to be raised or they check-call. I think on this flop he would have led at the pot with an overset. Depending on his style of play, you might want to let him keep the lead. If he is known to check-raise draws then I would come over the top. However, if he was known to check-raise draws you probably wouldn't post this question. Sometimes it is best to keep him in the lead and then make a possible raise on the river depending on the board. I don't like the idea of coming over the top yet again on the flop in most cases as this type of move screams set to a good player. It's like making the 4th raise with aces against a winning player. Let him keep the lead in most situations. Now I'm rambling and I think I've had too much to drink so I'm done with this post.

swolfe
10-28-2005, 01:42 AM
checks after a PF raise are suspicious to me. on a board this draw heavy, i'm thinking that a one-pair hand like AK wants to bet to protect.

that said, i can see some people doing that with AK or AJ (although the initial raise with AJ is suspect).

i would call and let him bet into me on the turn. AK may find a fold to a push.

amoeba
10-28-2005, 02:21 AM
if you are going to play, 3 bet because I don't think its AK here but rather KQ clubs that checkraises. if he is checkraising with AJ, hes not laying down to 3 bet.

ericlambi
10-28-2005, 08:38 AM
You must ignore the possibility that he has AA/JJ. If he has it, you lose your stack and forget it.

He could easily have AJ/or two clubs, maybe even AK, but I doubt it. I would call the raise, and either raise or open-push all-in when the turn is a non- /images/graemlins/club.gif. If the turn is a /images/graemlins/club.gif, then tread lightly.

fuzzbox
10-28-2005, 09:16 AM
I play for my stack here and expect to see AJ fairly often. If he shows me a set, then good for him, but I dont see it too often. Mostly if they want to slowplay a set its check/call flop and check/raise turn (like good little donks).

If he shows you a bigger set, then write it in the notes and cry a little.

btw - I push right now. If he has a draw he calls, if he doesnt, then he can put you on a draw. Dont call and see a card that might scare your opponent !!
He likes his hand, help him by setting yourself all-in.