PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for WPT

Timer
06-10-2003, 07:44 PM
1. Rotate a third man into the broadcasting booth each week. Keep Vince and Mike. This person should be a professional player (or of that ilk) and have some broadcasing skills. They should audition for this part. I think it would be beneficial to have some contrary analysis and in depth thought process presented for the play of the hands. This would counter the "This is a hand you want to see a flop with," and "Boy, that is a BIG hand," lines that tend to get kind of repetitive.

2. Start the final table with nine instead of six. You could show the first three players going broke fairly quickly, and that would get you right to the point you're at now.

2a. For variety, show a big limit hold'em tournament one time.

3. Get rid of that white strip in front of the players. I don't know why it's there if only to illuminate the cards when the players hold them up to the camera. It's annoying because it's obviously not part of a real poker table and the players have a tough time picking up their cards. There must be a better way to light up the action.

4. Don't always show the hole cards! Or, only show one hand, or, don't let the commentators see the hands, and let's hear what they have to say assuming they don't know the hole cards. Now you can feel the pressure a little bit more in certain situations and try to guess what people have. You could even reveal the hole cards to the viewing audience but not the commentators and then listen to their thought process about how they would proceed. You could reveal the hole cards in the middle of the hand or wait till the end. The possibilities are endless.

5. The show could be tightened up in a lot of different ways. Instead of reiterating what each player has when he folds, (2-9 offsuit, John throws his hand away, Mike folds A-2), just let the action speak for itself until you get to someone that wants to make a bet. You don't have to show his hand just yet but instead you can show the hand of the next guy that's thinking about what to do with king-queen.

Sexton: (To guest commentator) What would you do here with King-Queen GC?

GC: I'm not sure, Mike, Tom has been playing pretty snug and I still have three guys left to act behind me, and I'm not hurting for chips right now so, I might elect to pass and wait for a better situation.

Vince: King-Queen is a pretty big hand!

Sexton: I tend to agree with GC, but what would you do if it was suited. Would that make you change your mind?

You get the idea. The show has a lot of room for really becoming a slick piece of professionalism.

JTG51
06-11-2003, 01:44 AM
1) I agree, they should get someone else in the booth. I don't really care if they keep Vince or not. I'd love to see a different pro who's already been knocked out of the tournament do some announcing each week.

2) Good idea.

2a) I like that one also. I doubt it will happen, but it would be interesting.

4) I disagree strongly. Showing all the hole cards is why I watch every week and I don't really care much about watching the World Series broadcasts. I really like seeing the spots the pros pick to bluff, how they play their marginal hands, etc. Not showing the hole cards takes a lot of that away. Also, I don't think the World Series broadcasts bring new players to the game. I'm pretty sure the WPT broadcasts have. I think showing the hole cards is the biggest reason for that.

I'd like to see a box on the screen, like every network uses now when broadcasting sports, that shows what the blinds/antes are and the hand number. It's not always clear when the blinds go up and how long they've been playing. I'd also like to see more frequent updates on the stack sizes. It seems like they go half the show without telling us sometimes.

I love the shows, I agree they could be better though. I have no doubt they will be next season.

Miah
06-11-2003, 11:22 AM
2a) Tonight they are showing the Party Poker Million II. It is my understanding that this is a limit tournament.

J.R.
06-11-2003, 03:28 PM

Easy E
06-11-2003, 11:56 PM
without using their names, but crediting them anonymously (if that makes sense).

They were good comments.

wpt@worldpokertour.com, by the way. Ignore the auto reply messages.