PDA

View Full Version : Omaha bankroll mang questions

10-27-2005, 09:09 PM
I play poker mainly for fun but fortunatly am a winning player and the addtional money has been nice. I used to play mainly $100 PLO and had the bankroll to play properly and withstand any normal variance problems. About a month ago though I had a bit of a financial emergency and had to withdraw allmost all of my poker bankroll. I only left about $50 in there and for the short term at least this is all the money I have for poker. $50 buy in PLO is the smallest on my site so omaha is out for a while as I hit up some microlimit holdem and SNGs. Like I said I play mainly for fun so dropping down in stakes is no huge deal for me allthough the extra money I was making was nice and I enjoy the challenge of the higher stakes.
Anyways I worked my BR up to about $300 and decided that I would take some shots at the $50 PLO game. Basicly I decided that I would have at least a bankroll of $250 left after I buy into any omaha games.
Now my question I hope is not an incredibly stupid one allthough I think it might be, but after having this situation repeat itself 3 times I got to wonder. So my question is this, if youre taking a shot at a PLO game above your bankroll and you double or triple your buy in should you immed cash out even if the game is very good. Ive bought into 3 PLO games this week and tripled my buy in within an hour at each of them. After another hour all my profits were gone in each session due to some bad beats from some other deep stacks. Now from a purely strategy standpoint my play was fine and I wouldnt do anything different in any of the situations. But, with a bankroll of lets say $400, I would never buy into a $200 PLO game. Take last night. $50 buy in and im up to $175ish. I pick up AAJJss and get heads up preflop with SB, a maniac with a stack deeper than mine. I limp, he pots, I repot and he calls. I flop top set on a rainbow board of J 8 5. He bets about half the pot, I pot and he calls. Turn is a 2. He bets $10 and I push the rest of my stack in and he calls. River comes a 6 and his 4477 takes down the pot.
Now I have no regrets about the hand but should I have even started the hand with what would be more than a third of my total bankroll in play? I guess my ques is are you justified in giving up big edges in any particular game or hand if by cashing out you will be able to move up to higher stakes. Can you give up a good chance to make alot of money if the alternative is making less money but gaining the ability to consistently play at that level?
Hope this post made some sense. Thanks for any help.

Simplistic
10-27-2005, 09:20 PM
if you're playing scared money than quit.

that's I guess why we play with adequate bankrolls, so we don't cashout when we've tripled up and can stack anybody at the table

joewatch
10-28-2005, 01:46 AM
I don't think there is anything wrong with cashing out and coming back with the max buy-in after tripling up. Playing deepstack vs deepstack is definitely a different skill. One of the things I've noticed is that tables tend to break up once I have tripled up, so it has the same effect.