PDA

View Full Version : AK and I never raise

macdaddy991
10-27-2005, 02:43 PM
BB will play any pair for one bet to the river. UTG was unknown.

Love it or hate it?

Party Poker 1.00/2.00 Hold'em <font color="#0000FF">(5 handed)</font> link (http://www.darksun.lunarpages.com/poker/)

Preflop: Hero is Button with K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 folds</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">1 folds</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 2/images/graemlins/club.gif, 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls, BB calls.

Turn: (4.75 BB) 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls, BB calls.

River: (7.75 BB) T/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls, BB folds.

Final Pot: 9.75 BB.

bottomset
10-27-2005, 02:44 PM
uh 3bet preflop

MrWookie47
10-27-2005, 02:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
uh 3bet preflop

[/ QUOTE ]

And at least raise the river.

macdaddy991
10-27-2005, 02:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
uh 3bet preflop

[/ QUOTE ]

I was using somewhat of a poor method of mixing up my play.

irishpint
10-27-2005, 02:48 PM
i think you must raise the river. i GUESS keeping BB in the hand is worth 2BB but im not a fan.

Nick C
10-27-2005, 02:50 PM
I'm guessing UTG was pretty surprised when he saw your cards.

The flop and turn seem all right to me, if you're playing against people who know how to fold.

Actually, I can understand the river call too. (What the hell did BB have? An 8, I guess.) Heads-up, I think you should raise the river, though.

Preflop, I would have 3-bet, but I'm assuming you know already that that's the standard 2+2 play.

milesdyson
[ QUOTE ]
poor method

[/ QUOTE ]

tyler_cracker
Interesting. Did you have some reads that lead you to this line?

I don't know how excited i am about just calling preflop and inviting the blinds along when i have AKo. Better to win a small pot than lose a big one, etc. etc.

I assume the river call was to try and get BB to overcall behind you. You make the same by raising and getting called by UTG, who is likely to call since your line is so weird. Does UTG call your raise more often than BB overcalls? Does UTG 3-bet and win you an extra bet (assuming UTG doesn't have the case AA or the backdoor flush or AT)?

macdaddy991
meh, you are right I should have raised the river, i think my FPS got the better of me

J. Stew
10-27-2005, 02:54 PM
I don't like it. I think your reasoning is that you extract the most by playing passively and let him bet his Jax or AJ the whole way. But if that is so, why didn't you raise the turn at least. Did you think he would fold to a turn raise. Giving free cards with tptk is bad, you're not even heads up.

Nick C
10-27-2005, 03:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Giving free cards with tptk is bad, you're not even heads up.

[/ QUOTE ]

For what it's worth, since UTG is betting, Hero isn't really giving free cards, exactly.

On that board, if Hero is ahead (and he probably is), it seems unlikely to me that BB has the odds to call even one bet on the turn, let alone two.

car ramrod
10-27-2005, 03:06 PM
your lines not bad. Sometimes calling can be profitable, but you gotta raise that river, he will call it.

@bsolute_luck
10-27-2005, 03:24 PM
if you were villain, would you bet this river without the Ace is my question. and if raised, what would you do if you had KK-JJ? just curious because i think unless villain has the Ace, betting that river is a bad idea- anyone agree?

if i was villain and had kk or something, i'd be so pissed at you for "not defining" your hand as others around here love to do. but good deception.

preflop is interesting and you missed a lot pre/postflop if UTG had a weaker Ace, but probably the same if he didn't. cold calling on the button is interesting and my first obvious thought was to 3-bet, but after thinking about it, it is an interesting play especially if UTG is aggressive and the blinds are semi-tight.

if the Ace hadn't come on the flop, what would you have done? replace it with a 5.

TomBrooks
10-27-2005, 03:25 PM
Why don't you raise somewhere?

Vote4Pedro
10-27-2005, 03:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
poor

[/ QUOTE ]

pryor15
10-27-2005, 03:38 PM
this sort of thing drives me nuts.

are you trying to save him money?

car ramrod
10-27-2005, 03:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
if you were villain, would you bet this river without the Ace is my question. and if raised, what would you do if you had KK-JJ? just curious because i think unless villain has the Ace, betting that river is a bad idea- anyone agree?

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, I do think villian would probably bet KK or QQ here. Do you think we (hero) should raise the river?
I think villian will call with his KK or his AQ.

@bsolute_luck
10-27-2005, 04:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, I do think villian would probably bet KK or QQ here. Do you think we (hero) should raise the river?
I think villian will call with his KK or his AQ.

[/ QUOTE ]

it depends on my read of you really, but suffice to say honestly i probably would pay it off with AQ, KK-JJ. it would also depend on my read of you whether i'd bet this river again (and whether i'm on tilt) but i figure any hand calling that turn would either be a /images/graemlins/heart.gif draw, the Ace, or a set of 8s.

so reads is everything for me here on the river whether i bet/call, bet/fold, or check/call but i probably would rarely if ever check/fold if i had KK-JJ.

car ramrod
10-27-2005, 04:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
it depends on my read of you really, but suffice to say honestly i probably would pay it off with AQ, KK-JJ. it would also depend on my read of you whether i'd bet this river again (and whether i'm on tilt) but i figure any hand calling that turn would either be a draw, the Ace, or a set of 8s.

so reads is everything for me here on the river whether i bet/call, bet/fold, or check/call but i probably would rarely if ever check/fold if i had KK-JJ.

[/ QUOTE ]

so a river raise here is good by hero based on teh way this hand played out, agree?

ChuckyB
10-27-2005, 04:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
poo

[/ QUOTE ]

@bsolute_luck
10-27-2005, 04:22 PM
i would have.

UATrewqaz
10-27-2005, 04:22 PM
I like popping him on the river for another bet.

Guthrie
10-27-2005, 04:35 PM
Hate it. Hate it. Hate it.

shant
10-27-2005, 04:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
this hand blows

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]