PDA

View Full Version : If you were playing Name that Tune, which songs would you pwn with?

coffeecrazy1
10-27-2005, 02:25 PM
Remember Name that Tune, where you had to say how many notes it would take for you to recognize a certain piece of music? Which songs would that be for you? Can be any genre...but I'm going for which songs are the most instantly recognizable, the moment they start playing. Also...say how many notes it would take you to do it.

Sweet Child O'Mine(1 note)
Clair de Lune(2 notes)
Also Sprach Zarathustra(3 notes)

miajag81
10-27-2005, 02:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Is there anyone who wouldn't be able to recognize this from the first three notes?

tdarko
10-27-2005, 02:32 PM
anything Texas Country

daryn
10-27-2005, 02:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Is there anyone who wouldn't be able to recognize this from the first three notes?

[/ QUOTE ]

no

diebitter
10-27-2005, 02:36 PM
Spinal Tap - Lick My Love Pump (1 note) as long as the score was in D minor

stabn
10-27-2005, 02:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

no

[/ QUOTE ]

I have no idea what that song is.

DMBFan23
me cause I've never heard it.

I could pick out any Dave song very quickly, I think it would be pimp as hell to get tested on this kind of thing.

diebitter
Think apes and 2001:A Space Oddysey

stabn
10-27-2005, 02:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
2001:A Space Oddysey

[/ QUOTE ]

I read the book...

Soul Daddy
10-27-2005, 02:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I read the book...

[/ QUOTE ]
Would Ric Flair's theme song ring a bell?

Starfish & Coffee - 2 notes

stabn
10-27-2005, 02:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I read the book...

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You think i watch wrestling? wtf.

imported_The Vibesman
10-27-2005, 02:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

no

[/ QUOTE ]

I have no idea what that song is.

[/ QUOTE ]

Elvis' theme song when he came out on the stage in the later parts of his career. That's how I first knew it.

*edit: That's Elvis Presley, a rock and roll singer who died in 1977. FYI.

Soul Daddy
10-27-2005, 02:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I read the book...

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
The question implied that zero assumptions were made. Just another way you might have heard it.

stabn
10-27-2005, 02:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I read the book...

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
The question implied that zero assumptions were made. Just another way you might have heard it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair enough. It did not ring a bell.

I don't think it matters if we find out i've heard it or not though. I obviously don't know it's name so there's no way i'd get what it was after one note.

coffeecrazy1
10-27-2005, 02:45 PM
Well...it is the saddest of all keys...there's something about it that makes people weep instantly.

10-27-2005, 02:48 PM
Johnny B. Goode 2 notes.

Back in Black 1 chord.

Bach's Fugua 3 notes.

Other stuff but I don't feel like thinking of them

MrWookie47
10-27-2005, 02:52 PM
It depends. IIRC, name that tune had a keyboardist that only played one key at a time for the number of notes. I don't think you could get Sweet Child o' Mine in one note from a keyboard. One note of the original recording? Absolutely. Also Sprach Zarathustra should only take two notes on a keyboard (if held for full value), or one note of a recording.

A couple from the Beatles that would be easy if you got one note from the recording would be I Feel Fine (the opening feedback is quite distinctive), and Hard Days Night (the opening dissonant chord).

MrWookie47
10-27-2005, 02:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Johnny B. Goode 2 notes.

Back in Black 1 chord.

Bach's Fugua 3 notes.

Other stuff but I don't feel like thinking of them

[/ QUOTE ]

Johnny B. Goode is a great choice if there weren't a half a dozen or more other songs that have almost the same intro. The other two are good choices (Bach's Toccata and Fugue in D Minor). You could probably get You Shook Me All Night Long in a single chord as well.

coffeecrazy1
10-27-2005, 03:06 PM
I meant from the original recording...sorry that wasn't clear.

James Boston
10-27-2005, 03:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Also...say how many notes it would take you to do it.

[/ QUOTE ]

This isn't really a good way to ask that question. Do you mean the first notes from the original recording, or the first notes as played by, let's say, a guy in a piano bar. With your Also Sprach Zarathustra example, that first sustained note, as played by the New York Philharmonic, is a dead giveaway. But the guy in the piano bar hitting a single key wouldn't tell me anything. With Sweet Child, I wouldn't recognize the first note as much as I would recognize Slash's guitar tone.

jakethebake
10-27-2005, 03:12 PM
Bananaphone

tpir90036
10-27-2005, 03:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It depends. IIRC, name that tune had a keyboardist that only played one key at a time for the number of notes. I don't think you could get Sweet Child o' Mine in one note from a keyboard. One note of the original recording? Absolutely. Also Sprach Zarathustra should only take two notes on a keyboard (if held for full value), or one note of a recording.

A couple from the Beatles that would be easy if you got one note from the recording would be I Feel Fine (the opening feedback is quite distinctive), and Hard Days Night (the opening dissonant chord).

[/ QUOTE ]
Very good call. If we are talking about original recordings then I could name a lot of classic rock songs in zero notes just based on intro crap. Many Beatles, Pink Floyd and Led Zep songs come to mind.

jesusarenque
10-27-2005, 03:15 PM
Start Me Up

diebitter
10-27-2005, 03:17 PM
Star wars main theme (2 notes)
Ode To joy (3 notes)
You are my sunshine(2 notes)

MonkeeMan
10-27-2005, 03:24 PM
Magic Carpet Ride
Purple Haze
Satisfaction

MrWookie47
10-27-2005, 03:26 PM
Exactly. Let me name some more:

Black Sabbath - Crazy train (2 notes)
Pink Floyd - Money (one "ching!")
Pink Floyd - Time (rrrrring!)
Led Zeppelin - Stairway to Heaven (I think I'd need 3 notes, maybe 2)
Beatles - Love Me Do (one or two harmonica notes)

I could probably just go down my playlist and say "3 notes."

B00T
10-27-2005, 04:15 PM
Bush - Machinehead