PDA

View Full Version : Help with Party tournaments...

ElSapo
06-10-2003, 10:46 AM
When I first started playing tournaments on Party, I played weak-tight. I wasn't limping in often, and was making huge raises pre-flop when I hit a big pair, essentially driving everyone out. Most times I would make it to the later rounds of play, where I could aggressively move in enough times to steal blinds and limp into the money.

Recently, I've been playing these a little better. I limp in cheap, try and hit hands, and generally have been building a big stack early on. I'd say in the last five tournaments, I've had a significant chip lead early on in all of them.

Problem is, I'm still holding on for third sometimes. I see a pattern in what's happening - an early lead and I loosen up, and bleed it back. Or if I do tighten up, as the blinds climb the table gets into that "all in or nothing" mode and I back down. It's like I planted a "for sale" sign on my blinds.

Perhaps some of this is the structure of Party tournaments? The blinds go up fairly rapidly in relation to the chips in play, I think. Especially once you get below five people.

Anyways, some general help would be appreciated. In feel like my results should generally be better than they are, considering the chip lead I've had at times. Granted, maybe this short run doesn't mean much. Party tournaments are pretty easy to crack into the money, I think, especially at the lowest of levels.

Example - I raise to 100 with AA. Get two callers. Flop comes 222. Looks good for me - I don't think anyone can call a raise that big with a 2 in their hand, unless maybe they have both, which they can't. I bet out again and am called. Turn is the case 2, and someone goes all in. I call, they turn over 57o. So I can't complain…

Anyways, how to protect a chip lead - and grow it - in the face of that much aggression as the blinds go up?

Kurn, son of Mogh
06-10-2003, 11:18 AM
Just curious. Would you have called the all-in without an A?

ElSapo
06-10-2003, 11:26 AM
I think, b/c the player was short-stacked, I may have gone as low as a King. I felt it was obvious this was a bigger-kicker situation. And I almost felt like the guy was making a joke, knowing no one would call w/o the ace. I really assumed a split pot when he pushed in.

Honestly, I don't know. I don't recall stack sizes and all, so I suppose it's easy to criticize the play since I was holding the nuts. Maybe his play wasn't so bad as a bluff, seeing as it only took one card to make the nuts, and w/o an ace you really put people to a decision. On the other hand, calling a T100 raise pre-flop with unsuited rags has got to be an error.

fnurt
06-10-2003, 12:12 PM
This would be a great story if an ace came on the river...