PDA

View Full Version : Full Ring vs. 6 Max

10-27-2005, 12:56 PM
I know that logic dictates that a better player can make more $ (ptbb/100) playing in a shorter game because his/her skill is magnified. Logic aside however, I'd like to know from the players that play both consistently, what your experiences tell you.
After it being suggested me me that I give 6 max a try, I found that my win rate suffered because I loosened my standards too much. After tighteneing up a bit, I find the game a bit easier to play and win.
Thanks,
Lou

4_2_it
10-27-2005, 01:19 PM
I tend to agree with you. Based on my experience there are more rock gardens in full ring than 6-max (though it's been months since I played full ring). Also, a bad player tends to donate a lot quicker in 6-max. My PTBB went up significantly once I moved over to 6-max.

10-27-2005, 01:49 PM
I think Lou Krieger once said that the majority of the money you make in NL Holdem comes from the inadequacy of your opponents and not from the brilliance of your own play.
In 6 max you have the opportunity to take advantage of more frequent mistakes. Players are going to make more mistakes because they are forced to get involved. They have only 4 free hands instead of 7 or 8. With inexperienced players taking a lot of flops, there are more opportunities for them to slip up. You are the one profiting from these mistakes.

rachelwxm
10-28-2005, 10:14 AM
I play exclusively 6 max now. To me the best part of 6 max is when someone is on tilt or really bad, 6 max allow me to take his money fast while full ring, you have to compete against other 8 guys. Also you can run over the table much easily in 6 max once you have a feel of your competition. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

vulturesrow
10-28-2005, 11:01 AM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En respuesta a:</font><hr />
I know that logic dictates that a better player can make more $ (ptbb/100) playing in a shorter game because his/her skill is magnified. Logic aside however, I'd like to know from the players that play both consistently, what your experiences tell you.
After it being suggested me me that I give 6 max a try, I found that my win rate suffered because I loosened my standards too much. After tighteneing up a bit, I find the game a bit easier to play and win.
Thanks,
Lou

[/ QUOTE ]

Moving to 6-max was probably one of my best decisions in poker, for all the reasons cited. I will add that I also think it makes you a better overall poker player because you tend to be in more marginal situations. Playing six max also helped me move beyond the whole "flop a set or fold" mentality for playing small pocket pairs. It will also help at you full ring games when the game starts breaking but there are people left at the table..so now you have a 6 max table with people who have no clue as to the adjustments they need to make. That is a profitable situation as well All in all, 6-max=g00t.

subzero
10-28-2005, 11:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Playing six max also helped me move beyond the whole "flop a set or fold" mentality for playing small pocket pairs.

[/ QUOTE ]
I play full ring and this pretty much sums up my play. With position, I can win when I miss the flop and I've raised preflop. In full ring, I can easily fold in marginal situations and move on to the next hand. Now since you're forced to play more marginal situations in 6-max, can you still afford to multi-table and be effective?

vulturesrow
10-28-2005, 11:46 AM
I was multitabling 4 6-max tables but it was just a touch too much for me, so Ive been playing 3 lately which is very comfortable. PT+PAHud helps too. Regarding playing small pairs, at full ring your strategy probably isnt far from optimal. At 6-max I think you might be giving up a little too much, but probably isnt huge.