PDA

View Full Version : Whiskey, God I love it

10-27-2005, 07:48 AM
Last night I got wasted for free at a hurricane KAtrina Benefit concert (I didnt donatea single penny but was givin a VIP pass, thank God for friends). And it got me thinking, at an open bar I can order anything. My favorite was Whiskey sour.

What is the best drink involving whiskey that you have ever had. I love wiskey but am new to the bar scene and unaware of most of the drinks. Can anyone helkp by giving me afew good ideas?

Il_Mostro
10-27-2005, 07:53 AM
Why would anyone want to mix anything in their whiskey, except possibly some water?

I'll admit that I can enjoy am Irish coffee from time to time, but that's made on whisky, not whiskey, so I guess I'll slip under the bar on that one.

diebitter
10-27-2005, 07:56 AM
Good whiskey, drink it on its own.

Bad whiskey, okay with ginger or less so, coke/lemonade (or straight in preference to 'good' if you need it for medicinal purposes only).

stigmata
10-27-2005, 07:57 AM
Just drink single malt scotch or good quality blend with a dash of water. Stay away from that bourbon crap.

ChipWrecked
10-27-2005, 07:58 AM
Glad to hear you got free music and hooch at a benefit for Katrina relief.

I don't use the 'ignore list' but you have been added to the 'Spreadsheet of Douchebags'. Congratulations.

Il_Mostro
10-27-2005, 08:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Good whiskey, drink it on its own.

Bad whiskey, stay away, life's to short for that [censored]

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP
/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Slow Play Ray
10-27-2005, 08:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Whiskey, God I love it

[/ QUOTE ]

tonypaladino
10-27-2005, 08:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
'Spreadsheet of Douchebags'.

[/ QUOTE ]

That has a nice ring to it.

canis582
10-27-2005, 08:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
'Spreadsheet of Douchebags'. Congratulations.

[/ QUOTE ]

Post it....

RunDownHouse
10-27-2005, 09:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Just drink single malt scotch or good quality blend with a dash of water. Stay away from that bourbon crap.

[/ QUOTE ]
Spoken like a true European. I much prefer whiskey to bourbon unless I'm drinking something truly special.

Last weekend I went down to Lynchburg for the 17th annual Jack Daniel BBQ invitational. It was a blast, and some great food was had by all.

whiskeytown
10-27-2005, 09:22 AM
for all the bullshit over the name and my problems with alcohol....

I could always just barely drink the [censored] - I needed sugary chasers to wash it down - and as I got further along - JD and Jim Bean got too strong for me and my love for all things Irish sorta migrated me to Irish Whiskeys like Tullimore Dew and Jameson -

I try not to think about it too much anymore - I am just glad I have free hours to waste and a car I can still legally drive

RB

IndieMatty
10-27-2005, 09:28 AM
There's no way you make it into November.

Slow Play Ray
10-27-2005, 09:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I much prefer whiskey to bourbon

[/ QUOTE ]

this is like saying "i much prefer squares to rectangles" - bourbon IS whiskey.

LALDAAS
10-27-2005, 09:37 AM
http://www.whisky.fr/contenu/img/1224.jpg

stigmata
10-27-2005, 10:01 AM
The only thing bourbon is good for is the casks. Thank God for the self-serving American Union of Coopers.

RunDownHouse
10-27-2005, 10:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

EDIT: whatever, unimportant. cranky again today.

Slow Play Ray
10-27-2005, 10:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I saw it. LOL - you're completely right, I AM a nit! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

ChipWrecked
10-27-2005, 10:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
'Spreadsheet of Douchebags'. Congratulations.

[/ QUOTE ]

Post it....

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, there is no such thing. But I think it will now be created.

Colonel Kataffy
10-27-2005, 10:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I saw it. LOL - you're completely right, I AM a nit!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but we all get what you mean, so forget about it.

If I'm gonna drink striaght up, I prefer Bushmills or a good scotch, but I mix burbon with coke all the time and its great.

BellyBuster7
10-27-2005, 10:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
http://www.whisky.fr/contenu/img/1224.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the correct answer

bwana devil
10-27-2005, 10:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

maybe youre not as cranky as you think if the guy's bagging on you and you deleted your correct response. i saw your response and you were right.

if you guys really want to learn from people who know something about whisky, check out whiskymag (http://www.whiskymag.com/whisky/type/). they know what they're talking about. since going there ive dropped the crown royal from my cabinet and im onto 40 Creek. good stuff.

and to those of you mixing your whisky w/ coke, youre drinking the wrong whisky.

Il_Mostro
10-27-2005, 12:13 PM
If you like that you should try
http://images.send.com/125206_big.jpg

It's absolutely amazing. A bit pricey though

miajag81
10-27-2005, 12:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Stay away from that bourbon crap.

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/confused.gif

ChipWrecked
10-27-2005, 01:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Not /images/graemlins/confused.gif at all when you factor in Stig's pathological hatred of anything connected to the United States.

The Goober
10-27-2005, 02:12 PM
There are a lot of good older bourbon drinks - try a manhattan, old fashioned, or a mint julep. Most mixed drinks I find to be too sweet after a while, though, so I often just drink bourbon and soda.

I agree with other posters about good whiskey not needing any mixers (i love a good scotch), when I go out its just way too expensive to try and get hammered on the good stuff all night (plus when your buddies are ordering cheap beers, don't you feel like a tool asking for the scotch list?)

What I really don't understand is people getting call whiskeys and then mixing them. What's the point of getting a Maker's Mark and coke?

jakethebake
10-27-2005, 02:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

YSSCKY