PDA

View Full Version : Talking about your live hand...

flopdanutz
06-10-2003, 05:01 AM
Are there any standard tournament rules that prevents players from talking about their hand? I read some of the Cal State championship reports and a player was penalized for saying that he had a pocket paireven though he did not specify which PP he held. I understand some of the reasons why talking about the exact hand u are holding or prematurely exposing your hand is forbidden but how much can you say about your hand to get some type of reaction?

some rules state... you cannot tell or show another player your hand... so what if you hold JJ and you tell your opponent,
"rules state i cannot tell you what my hand is or show you but I can lie about it...
I have unsuited connectors
I have suited connectors
I have wired Aces
I have wired kings
...queens, tens, nines, eights..." thus your opponent knows that by the rules enforced you have jacks.

I guess that would be an unorthodox and probably ineffective way of getting some type of reaction from your opponent but it is still a way around the no truth to your hand, no show rule.

Greg (FossilMan)
06-10-2003, 09:59 AM
Floormen are allowed to make rulings that follow the spirit of the rules, not just the letter. So, if they have a no talking about your hand rule, I would keep my mouth shut rather than try to find the loopholes. Not worth the risk.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)