PDA

View Full Version : My next obstacle

Josh W
06-10-2003, 03:45 AM
So, I heard stories about this dude. He plays huge, and has been playing for like 5 or 6 years. And he's gone bust like 5 times.

No, I don't wanna be like him. But that means he's rebuilt a bankroll. And it dawned on me that I could climb the ladder fast if I was willing to go broke.

And I climbed fast. 6-12 to 9-18 to 15-30 to 25-50 in a few days. Underrolled the whole way.

Then I ran about average for a long while, and put in a ton of hours at 25-50 in May. I won, oh, lets say "lots". And then, like your typical 24 year old, I had a 25th birthday. I decided to buy myself a new car....30K total. When I talked to my bank, after they received the sales contract which they were financing, they were surprised at how much I put down.

But that meant that here I was again, underrolled. I tried to hang at the 25 for a few more weeks. But that didn't work, as I've booked Loss after Loss after Loss this month. No problem, I'll drop down. Done it before, gonna do it again.

But after a horrid session at 25 tonight (one funny beat...my QQ ran into JJ and JJ...), I came home, and played with a buddy online at 1-2 stakes.

And my thought process was, after UTG raised, and two cold called "I can call this 98o on the button...these guys play so bad post flop". And while my thought process may be right, I'd be an idiot to think that I can squeeze much EV outta that situation, though I can surely throw my variance into the sky.

And I'm gonna be playing 9-18 and 15-30 again. And man, if I have that attitude, I'm gonna go broke, in a hurry.

Gotta check the ego at the door. Really, I gotta.

Josh

Ulysses
06-10-2003, 03:56 AM
And I climbed fast. 6-12 to 9-18 to 15-30 to 25-50 in a few days. Underrolled the whole way.

I'm really curious, Josh. How underrolled were you and how big were your wins in these sessions? That sounds like quite a run for a few days.

But here's what I'm really curious about.

put in a ton of hours at 25-50 in May. I won, oh, lets say "lots".

Why did you 'stop' at 25-50?

As for your approach, willingness to take risks and "go broke" - you're just talking about poker bankroll right? You have a job that pays your bills, right? If so, then whatever. I assume you're enjoying playing poker and taking some shots. Good for you! Have fun.

Josh W
06-10-2003, 04:01 AM
I stopped because my EV at the 25-50 was greater than anything else in the world this side of time travel and hot stock tips.

Yeah, I got a job. It's kinda funny, cuz every regular at the hustler asked me (or made a statement saying that they assumed...) if I was a poker pro. I told them all "nah, if I was, I'd die of starvation". Turns out I was prophetic, not joking /forums/images/icons/smile.gif.

As for my "fast climb"...my first stab at the 25-50 yielded me a $3000 win, so it was more like a leap than a climb. I stayed there for the month (except when I went to Vegas for the WSOP..then I played 15 and 30 at the Bellagio, and in a bunch of tournies).

Josh

WhiteBoy
06-10-2003, 05:02 AM
This explains a lot about your play and some of your posts on here.

I think you would be better off if you were willing to examine your decision-making more honestly and resist forming too many hard and fast ideas about poker (or how well YOU play poker).

In my experience, players who are more humble and introspective make more money in poker.

-WhiteBoy

Josh W
06-10-2003, 05:27 AM
What explains a lot? The fact that I'm so willing to move down?

As for being better off....hmmm, I honestly don't know how I could be better off in life than I am now. I'm sure that there is a way, like if this Kanker (sp?) sore would go away.

I have zero (as in none) hard fast opinions about poker. I've been convinced I'm wrong more than I'd like to recall.

I don't think I can examine my decision making more honestly. I don't think anybody can.

I don't think I play poker all that well. However, I do feel that I KNOW HOW to play poker very well (well, holdem, especially No Limit, and Omaha High, and Omaha eight or better, but not necessarily any other games). In fact, every day this last two weeks when I've played, I've told a friend (either in person or on the phone) "I'm stuck, but I played poorly".

Look, it's obvious you have something against me. That's fine. Take a number. And it's even more obvious that you like to pretend that you know a whole lot about me. That's fine, too.

But most of all, it's obvious to those of us who play in the 25 game on a regular basis that you are either:

1.) Not white, and prefer to use a racial slur as your handle, or

2.) A losing player. There are only 3 players who play the hours I do who are white. I know them all. I know one does not live in Los Angeles. I know one does not read this forum because of a deep seated hatred for David Sklansky. And I know the third as a personal friend.

So either you are using a slur, you are a losing player, or you don't play with me. And all this? This is fine too.

Lastly, and most important, if you think that the 25-50 is a tough game, that says EVERYTHING about how you play poker. And that is fine also.

But the next time I think an opponent made a boneheaded play and got the best of me, I'll rethink how I played the hand, and I'll think if I could've done any better.

It's who I am. It's what I do.

Josh

WhiteBoy
06-10-2003, 07:06 AM
1. My statements about your game are related to your previous posts. I can recall posts in which most people thought you made many mistakes and you replied that you folded the winner (trips) for 1 bet on the river, but that you know you made the right decision anyway. I also recall a post in which you said you had just decided a player was going to try to outplay you, so you rammed with AK high. I just think many of your post-hand reflections are based on outcome, and in cases where you ignore the outcome, you come to some absurd conclusions.

2. I never said the Hustler 25-50 game is tough. I said that it went from excellent to average (by LA standards) -- probably as a result of the recent advertising of the game.

3. I don't play in the Hustler game on a regular basis because it makes more sense to play 30-60 or 40-80 (given the current 25-50 conditions and the snail's pace of a live game).

-WhiteBoy