PDA

View Full Version : Question about early and mid-level play in sngs

10-27-2005, 03:51 AM
I'm probably writing this post because I'm still tilted from the last couple of days. I've been following Aleo's guide for awhile now, and honestly I'm starting to believe that this can't be optimal Sng play. So I did some searching here, and have learned that alot of the more successful players tend to be a little looser earlier tying to accumulate chips. I find myself folding AQ in early to middle position early in a game and it drives me nuts because I've never played that way, and it doesn't seem correct. I even dropped down to two tables, but waiting to only play top hands is driving me nuts. So the question I have is whether the winning players on here play hands like suited connectors in late position or AQo in early to mid position? Should I be raising w/ AJs or offsuit in late position? Or is it just optimal to blind down to 500-600 chips until level 4-5 and just start pushbotting? Any help would be appreciated.

Sciolist
10-27-2005, 05:11 AM
I think you should play the style you enjoy playing. Is the aim to grind out n dollars per hour, or to enjoy playing?

The people who accumulate earlier on are doing so because they're really, really good at the game. The people who're playing extra-tight early on are doing so because they're able to exploit their later-game advantages over average players: Lots of 10x BB all-ins, and knowing something about CEV, hand ranges and when to call with high blinds vs. stack sizes. Of course, the good players know this too, and so this isn't an edge anymore if you're playing against those guys.

So, I agree - I don't think that being ultra-tight early on is optimal. I do think that it's reliable though, and a good way to exploit your opponent's failings effectively. The question is, do you enjoy the same kind of edge by good earlier game accumulation against your opponents as you do by being ultra-tight then moving into pushbot mode? I don't.

ChrisV
10-27-2005, 05:31 AM
Aleo's guide is written so that people who know nothing about SNGs can beat the game. Ultra tightness in the early levels is not the best strategy, there are opportunities there to be exploited but they are not as frequent as people think and generally calling raises with AQ doesn't qualify (although I do limp it in early levels and occasionally call small raises). It's very rare that someone is already playing tight enough in the early levels when they first start SNG play and therefore the guide stresses this. If you want to play more hands in the early levels, the rule is in cheap and out cheap. Just because you flopped a flush draw with your suited connector doesn't necessarily mean you're continuing past the flop.

The guide is not optimal play (how could it be? It's only a small guide) but it is winning play. For the record, I believe I could still beat the $10+1's even ticking post and fold in turn for the first 20 hands every tourney.

Doc
10-27-2005, 10:21 PM
I play the 22's so take this with a grain of salt, but I will play slightly looser than you describe. I try not to play complete trash, but I will still play AQ for a raise.

My starting point was HOH vol 1 for the early portions of a SNG. I am just barely looser than that now, but it seems to work for me.

Doc

10-27-2005, 10:36 PM
I raise with AQo/s from any position in lvls 1-3. I may even call a small raise if I'm in LP.

I muck AJo/s in all postions unless I get the chance to open-raise from the button, and maybe the CO.

I avoid s/c's unless I've already doubled up and have the chance to limp in with position.

Hope this helps /images/graemlins/grin.gif

10-27-2005, 11:19 PM
Yes this helps. I've started to play my own game today at the SnG's, and I've found that more than likely I'll have about double the chips that used to have. Needless to say, but dropping back down to two tables has helped. I think i might wait until I get a better monitor so I can four table with no overlap. I made about 4 or 5 plays that I wouldn't have before on 4 tables that got me in the money. Thanks for the help.