PDA

View Full Version : true believers or true hypocrites?

natedogg
10-27-2005, 02:49 AM
http://nationalreview.com/interrogatory/schweizer200510250827.asp

A fun little interview with a writer who dug up dirt on all kinds of prominent leftwingers who do not practice what they preach. Normally, this is a silly excercise but I really like this statement here:

"It's another reminder that the ideas the left want to impose on the rest of us are so fundamentally bad that they don't even try to live by them. ... {the ideas} don't work for the leading lights of the Left. How could they possibly work for our country?"

Nice.

natedogg

Zeno
10-27-2005, 03:11 AM
Fun read. Thanks for posting the article.

-Zeno

ACPlayer
10-27-2005, 03:38 AM
From the subject I thought perhaps you had started a duplicate thread of this one. (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=3777724&page=0&view=c ollapsed&sb=5&o=&vc=1)

Richard Tanner
10-27-2005, 05:03 AM
Excellent article, I think the most important part is his explaination of the difference between Conservative and Liberal hypocracies. Although in the end, pretty much everyone is power is corrupt in some way, some more then others, so really this should come as no suprise to either side.

Cody

cdxx
10-27-2005, 09:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Excellent article, I think the most important part is his explaination of the difference between Conservative and Liberal hypocracies.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
When the liberal-left abandon their principles and become hypocrites, they actually improve their lives. Their kids end up in better schools, they have more money, and their families are more content. Their ideas are truly that bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

well, if i were to forego my principles, i'd certainly want to be compensated for it.

it would be interesting to see what kind of proof he he has for stock portfolios, or who uses what tax shelter. seems like those records are fairly private.

some examples are flawed. you wouldn't call the physicists who developed the H-bomb hypocrites only because they became vocal about their position on WMDs after the fact and got the Nobel Peace Prize for anti-war efforts.

tomdemaine
10-27-2005, 10:17 AM
The Left want to spend on state schools and healthcare while they send their kids to private schools and have top of the line medical insurance. The Right preach morality and strict controls on personal freedoms while having affairs, illegitimate children, and crazed drugs and alcohol binges. Everyone's a hypoctrite. What's good for the goose doesn't appear to be good for the gander.

cdxx
10-27-2005, 01:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The Left want to spend on state schools and healthcare while they send their kids to private schools and have top of the line medical insurance. The Right preach morality and strict controls on personal freedoms while having affairs, illegitimate children, and crazed drugs and alcohol binges. Everyone's a hypoctrite. What's good for the goose doesn't appear to be good for the gander.

[/ QUOTE ]

don't forget preaching tougher borders, war on drugs, and making examples of CEOs for lying about stock sales, but then employing illegal immigrants, scoring prescription pain-killers, lying about cocaine use in the past, and dumping stock while on the board of directors, filing late with SEC, and giving out multi-billion contracts to companies where they formerly served as executives.

as far as comparisons go, the clinton whitewater debate was about a loan and a job offer to a family friend, which was described as hiding funds. the cheney halliburton debate is about billions and billions of dollars of tax payer money in no-bid contracts. don't extrapolate that as democrat vs republican. i just like clinton as opposed to bush.

Meech
10-27-2005, 02:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]

"It's another reminder that the ideas the left want to impose on the rest of us are so fundamentally bad that they don't even try to live by them. ... {the ideas} don't work for the leading lights of the Left. How could they possibly work for our country?"

[/ QUOTE ]

Replace the word left with congress and it's right on the money.

JackWhite
10-27-2005, 04:42 PM
The main point in the article is pointing out that these hypocrits know they can do this because the MSM will never call them on it. I'd drop dead if Katie Couric or Keith Olbermann asked Franken or Moore how come they never hire black people, while calling other people racists. Or why do they live in all or overwhelming white towns/neighborhoods.

In my opinion, the most egregious hypocrisy of many public figures is promoting integrated public schools, while sending their own kids to overwhelming white, private schools. If integrated public schools are a great idea, these people should lead by example and send their kids to one. Wouldn't it be nice if just once one of these people were asked about this by the MSM.

lehighguy
10-28-2005, 07:05 PM
Chomsky was a surprise. I never read his books (if he turns them out that fast how good can they be), but I figured he was such a disheveled commie kook he must be living his line. Guess not.

MMMMMM
10-28-2005, 07:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Chomsky was a surprise. I never read his books (if he turns them out that fast how good can they be), but I figured he was such a disheveled commie kook he must be living his line. Guess not.

[/ QUOTE ]

No surprise to me. Zeno had him pegged a long time ago when he referred to him as a charlatan/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Also, what big-name communists (though Chomsky technically isn't) have EVER lived their preached ideals? None that I can think of.

lehighguy
10-28-2005, 08:42 PM
I know. But I kinduv saw him in the disheveled humanities professor that wanders around campus image. I've never seen his picture.

DVaut1
10-28-2005, 09:20 PM
That biased MSM just won't tell us the truth.

Thank goodness we've got the NRO to give it to us straight.

I think my head might explode if I see another "biased media!" story. Anytime "MSM" appears in an article, my mouse, due to some strange reflex, immediately reaches for the "X" in the top right corner. I wish I could just avert my eyes faster. I think I might just poke my eyes out next time.

sirio11
10-28-2005, 11:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What's exactly the left? An association? A group of anti-war people? Communists?

And what exactly are the ideas of the left? It's like a group of 3 or 4 ideas?

I find the statement a little vague, but maybe that is why you find it "nice"

Lets do the following

Is it possible to fill the lines with a different word ?

"It's another reminder that the ideas the ________ want to impose on the rest of us are so fundamentally bad that they don't even try to live by them. ... {the ideas} don't work for the leading lights of the _________. How could they possibly work for our country?"

Autocratic
10-29-2005, 12:50 AM
No one else thinks that this is more a problem of the upper crusty elite than either side? That both sides are loaded with hypocrites is obvious. It's an embarassment to political debate that some people would imply that one side is substantially more hypocritical. It seems to me that our typical New England bred Yale-by-nepotism politician is the source of hypocrisy, not the right or left.

lehighguy
10-29-2005, 01:02 AM
The left can't live by thier own economic rules.
The right can't live by thier societal own rules.
Maybe because those rules are bullshit.

The only group that isn't hypocritical and the ones that don't advocate restrictive laws and controls over human behaivor.

natedogg
10-29-2005, 02:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What's exactly the left? An association? A group of anti-war people? Communists?

And what exactly are the ideas of the left? It's like a group of 3 or 4 ideas?

I find the statement a little vague, but maybe that is why you find it "nice"

Lets do the following

Is it possible to fill the lines with a different word ?

"It's another reminder that the ideas the ________ want to impose on the rest of us are so fundamentally bad that they don't even try to live by them. ... {the ideas} don't work for the leading lights of the _________. How could they possibly work for our country?"

[/ QUOTE ]

My definition of the left:

Someone for whom good intentions trump facts and actual results. Someone who thinks they knows what's best for the rest of us, and will feel righteous about coercing us to do it. Someone who doesn't know a damn thing about basic economics.

That pretty much sums it up.

natedogg

DVaut1
10-29-2005, 08:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Someone for whom good intentions trump facts and actual results.

[/ QUOTE ]

Doesn't this describe anyone with convictions? I don't think the left has cornered the market on this.

[ QUOTE ]
Someone who thinks they knows what's best for the rest of us, and will feel righteous about coercing us to do it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Who's Pat Robertson? Jerry Falwell? James Dobson?

[ QUOTE ]
Someone who doesn't know a damn thing about basic economics.

[/ QUOTE ]

This probably describes 99% of Americans.

Meech
10-29-2005, 10:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Someone for whom good intentions trump facts and actual results. Someone who thinks they knows what's best for the rest of us, and will feel righteous about coercing us to do it.

[/ QUOTE ]

You just described our current president, his adivsors, his cabinet, and most of congress. (Political parties notwithstanding of course). And, actually your paragraph describes the christian coaltion and the religious right much more than the supposed "left".

natedogg
10-29-2005, 01:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Someone for whom good intentions trump facts and actual results. Someone who thinks they knows what's best for the rest of us, and will feel righteous about coercing us to do it.

[/ QUOTE ]

You just described our current president, his adivsors, his cabinet, and most of congress. (Political parties notwithstanding of course). And, actually your paragraph describes the christian coaltion and the religious right much more than the supposed "left".

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I think Bush is a leftist.

natedogg

MMMMMM
10-29-2005, 07:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yes, I think Bush is a leftist.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed.