PDA

View Full Version : What do you wear when it gets cold?

handsome
10-26-2005, 10:53 PM
In the past I've always worn PJ's under my jeans. This is becoming a pain in the arse though, so I need to get some other ideas.

mostsmooth
10-26-2005, 10:56 PM
try a skirt

ChipWrecked
10-26-2005, 10:59 PM
Check out REI, the outdoor store. Cycling stuff is snug and warm. Also wicks moisture from the skin.

SackUp
10-26-2005, 10:59 PM
move to somewhere that doesn't suck

cdxx
10-26-2005, 11:00 PM
in general, layers. i find that thermal underwear is amazing.

InchoateHand
10-26-2005, 11:02 PM
I wear my car, with the heat on.

ThaSaltCracka
10-26-2005, 11:03 PM
fleece lined pants. Where do you live?

handsome
10-26-2005, 11:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I go to school in Binghamton, NY, the second rainiest city in the US next to Seattle. But in the winter it becomes snow. Frrrreeeeezzzzzinggg.

Oh, and for the record, we had about 2 inches of snow yesterday. in OCTOBER.

Ray Zee
10-26-2005, 11:15 PM
at 10deg. i put on a sweatshirt as i want to have something with long sleeves. at 0 deg maybe a light coat instead. at 20 below zero a warm coat if the wind is blowing hard. never pajamas though.

cdxx
10-26-2005, 11:22 PM
i went to cornell, in ithaca, ny. thermal underwear is pretty much dress code in the winter.

Sponger15SB
10-26-2005, 11:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I need to get some other ideas.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.cassandrallen.com/fragments/images/06/07.jpg

EMcWilliams
10-26-2005, 11:24 PM
I go to school in Geneseo, which is basically Rochester, and wear shorts year round. Im not bullshiting here either, there are ppl on this forum who will corrborate my story.

kipin
10-26-2005, 11:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I go to school in Geneseo, which is basically Rochester, and wear shorts year round. Im not bullshiting here either, there are ppl on this forum who will corrborate my story.

[/ QUOTE ]

You rock!

I was wearing shorts in Iceland while I was there, you should have seen the looks I got. Old people would look down at my shorts, scan my body (I am big and tall), then look me in the face like I was crazy.

Although I gotta say the weirdest part was seeing all these people bundled up in winter coats, scarves and gloves when the weather never dipped below 50 degrees Fahrenheit... and they were looking at ME like I was crazy.

EMcWilliams
10-26-2005, 11:30 PM
I mean the dead of winter...its a great conversation starter, and like you, I am also of healther proportions.

elmo
10-26-2005, 11:31 PM
I'm from cuse... I also run the shorts and t-shirt in 30 degree weather

kipin
10-26-2005, 11:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I mean the dead of winter...its a great conversation starter, and like you, I am also of healther proportions.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think a good rule to follow is if you are wearing shorts when it is cold out, you are NOT allowed to complain about being cold. I hope you go by this rule.

EMcWilliams
10-26-2005, 11:33 PM
Nope, and as a collary:
You have all the right to bitch about the heat, cause you dont bitch about the cold.

ThaSaltCracka
10-26-2005, 11:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I go to school in Binghamton, NY, the second rainiest city in the US next to Seattle. But in the winter it becomes snow. Frrrreeeeezzzzzinggg.

[/ QUOTE ]I went to school in Helena, MT for a year. There was snow on the ground from October-May, no joke. Get some fleece lined pants, a few beanies, some fleece sweetshirts, and atleast one down coat/vest.

phixxx
10-26-2005, 11:45 PM
In Canada, we're accustomed to the cold weather. Usually, I've found that multiple layers really helps. A beater, t-shirt, maybe a long sleaved shirt over that, a sweater, and a nice jacket. Remember to wear your hat as well; most of your body heat escapes through your head. A hood helps also. For pants, I normally wear jeans, which are ridiculously cold. If you want to pick up a pair of long underwear, go for it. It might help :E

4_2_it
10-27-2005, 12:06 AM
Underarmor works for me.

ThaSaltCracka
10-27-2005, 12:10 AM
I never [censored] with multiple layers. It restricts your movement, and overall makes you so uncomfortable. Here in America, we have advanced technologies that allow us to wear fewer clothes, all the while still staying warm.

pokerdirty
10-27-2005, 12:13 AM
http://www.threewisheslingerie.com/images/sultrysatin.JPG

phixxx
10-27-2005, 12:46 AM
I'm sure we have them too, but I don't enjoy paying 90 dollars for an underarmor shirt. Plus, it probably gets ALOT here than it does where you live. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

daryn
10-27-2005, 01:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm pretty sure the rainiest city in the US is in hawaii. seattle's raininess is just all hype. i remember hearing something on the news here that said that boston was actually rainier than seattle and windier than chicago.

ThaSaltCracka
10-27-2005, 01:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm pretty sure the rainiest city in the US is in hawaii. seattle's raininess is just all hype. i remember hearing something on the news here that said that boston was actually rainier than seattle and windier than chicago.

[/ QUOTE ]Seattle has more rainy days per year than most places, however there are several places that get more rain per year than Seattle. No joke, back in like 95 or 96 it rained for something like 150 straight days or something.

hobbsmann
10-27-2005, 01:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

http://cdn.llbean.com/products/kids/43272/images/L43272_Light_Denim.jpg

10-27-2005, 01:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i remember hearing something on the news here that said that boston was actually rainier than seattle and windier than chicago.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whoever named Chicago the Windy City is a tard. It's only windy if your less than 2 blocks from the lake.

Maulik
10-27-2005, 02:00 AM
I hope you guys got the bragging about shorts out of your system...

give actual suggestions. i hate wearing jackets, what should i consider buying that isn't bulky.

ThaSaltCracka
10-27-2005, 02:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I hope you guys got the bragging about shorts out of your system...

give actual suggestions. i hate wearing jackets, what should i consider buying that isn't bulky.

[/ QUOTE ]fleece, seriously. Make sure the stiching is done nicely as well, as that is usually where any cold air comes through. The rest of the fleece is a beast.

hobbsmann
10-27-2005, 02:06 AM
http://www.thenorthface.com/media/gear/catalog/ANF9/ANF9-40A_mag.jpg

I live in Boston and I'm probably going to buy a money Northface jacket like the one above (kind of pricey though ~$400).

ThaSaltCracka
10-27-2005, 02:08 AM
Northface does make some nice gear, it is pricey though. Columbia is good as well. REI should have a nice selection of goods for cold weather wear. Wool socks don't hurt either, although they make your feet sweat like a mutha.

10-27-2005, 02:09 AM
a smile. and nothing else

ChipWrecked
10-27-2005, 04:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Whoever named Chicago the Windy City is a tard. It's only windy if your less than 2 blocks from the lake.

[/ QUOTE ]

That name stems from an observation that the people there are blowhards; dating to the city's campaign to land the 1892 World's Fair.

mason55
10-27-2005, 04:54 AM
I went to RIT and never wore anything more than jeans, a sweatshirt and a winter jacket. Plus boots and gloves, I don't understand why you need anything under your jeans?

The only time I had another layer on was when I was out riding at Bristol.

New001
10-27-2005, 05:11 AM
http://www.mountainhardwear.com/Product.aspx?top=1&prod=814&cat=7&viewAll=False

It's worked really well for me. On really cold days (especially if I'm on a bike), I'll wear thermal underwear too.

MrTrik
10-27-2005, 07:06 AM
For low hassle layering, I wear a combo jacket from Columbia. I paid around $90 for it.

It's a nice warm zip up sweatshirt that can be detached from a nice lined windbreaker. So wear one, or the other, or both for three different levels of warmth. When they are attached it's like a one piece warm jacket. Also has a hood that can be concealed in a zippered pouch if you don't need it. I believe the hood can even be removed via a zipper.

tonypaladino
10-27-2005, 08:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i remember hearing something on the news here that said that boston was actually rainier than seattle and windier than chicago.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Chicago has been historically called the windy city for it's windbag politicians.

edit: whoops, ron burgandy beat me to it.

phil_ivey_fan
10-27-2005, 09:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
in general, layers. i find that thermal underwear is amazing.

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed, and a gore-tex parka to check the wind and rain at the the door.

jakethebake
10-27-2005, 09:17 AM
Cold? Vat eez dees cold you speek off?

sfer
10-27-2005, 09:21 AM
I bought two pairs of fairly expensive, futuristic material long underwear from Patagucci a couple of years ago and they're great. They're pretty thin, warm, and they breathe well so I rarely feel hot.

Dominic
10-27-2005, 01:39 PM
um....a warm coat?

BCPVP
10-27-2005, 01:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm from cuse... I also run the shorts and t-shirt in 30 degree weather

[/ QUOTE ]
Ditto. Shorts and T-shirts (maybe a long/sweatshirt) till the snow accumulates! Hell, it's 50 degrees out and everyone is bundled up in sweatshirts and jackets like it's -10! I attribute it to the high amount of sissy Illinois students at my school.

M2d
10-27-2005, 01:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you can't even touch Hilo, HI for wettest city.

2planka
10-27-2005, 02:43 PM
Oven mitts. Lots of 'em.

imported_The Vibesman
10-27-2005, 02:54 PM
I wear a plaid flannel (makes me look like a friggin lumberjack, but it's light, warm and comfortable) until it gets into the 20's and then I switch to the navy peacoat, which is all I need until springtime.