PDA

View Full Version : Watching The Boondock Saints...

jokerthief
10-26-2005, 10:29 PM
and I just heard the funniest line I've ever heard in a movie:

"Shut your fat ass Rayvie! I can't buy a pack of smokes without running into nine guys you [censored]!"

That [censored] is [censored] classic!

Firefly
10-26-2005, 10:31 PM
One of the best movies ever.
It's got it all.

Voltron87
10-26-2005, 10:33 PM
thhhheeeeerrreee waasssss a firrreee fiiiightttt

10-26-2005, 10:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
thhhheeeeerrreee waasssss a firrreee fiiiightttt

[/ QUOTE ]

(begins to empty glock into air in the middle of the street)

deacsoft
10-26-2005, 10:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It's got it all.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's got a lot... not quite all. Possibly one of the most over-rated movies ever. I like it, but it's no where near the top 50.

jokerthief
10-26-2005, 10:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It's got it all.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's got a lot... not quite all. Possibly one of the most over-rated movies ever. I like it, but it's no where near the top 50.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm watching it for the first time right now. I was not aware of this level of hype. Pretty good flick so far though.

Voltron87
10-26-2005, 10:43 PM
people who say its one of the best movies ever are idiots. its a very good movie and i really enjoyed watching it. not more than that.

ThaSaltCracka
10-26-2005, 10:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It's got it all.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm watching it for the first time right now. I was not aware of this level of hype. Pretty good flick so far though.

[/ QUOTE ]its very hyped.

istewart
10-26-2005, 10:48 PM
I think it can be enjoyed.

I wouldn't say it's very good though.

KneeCo
10-26-2005, 10:53 PM
I hated it. IMO it was just trying SOOOOOOOOO hard to be cool.

OnlinePokerCoach
10-26-2005, 11:04 PM
I liked the movie. I don't think many people know about it, so I doubt it is overhyped.

jokerthief
10-27-2005, 12:00 AM
Alright so I'm done with the movie now. Pretty good flick, I'd give it 3.5 out of five stars. It's nothing special but definetly worth seeing. My quote in the OP is the highlight however. That quote almost makes it worth seeing by it's own though.

KyleC
10-27-2005, 12:16 AM
People that are hating...stand up remove stick from ass...ahh feel better dont it?

Jack of Arcades
10-27-2005, 12:42 AM
What a great [censored] movie, I need to see it again but I have my Disney section in netflix right now.

Wes ManTooth
10-27-2005, 01:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
People that are hating...stand up remove stick from ass...ahh feel better dont it?

[/ QUOTE ]

ThaSaltCracka
10-27-2005, 01:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]hating on what? The movie doesn't suck, but it is far from anything great.

Spladle Master
10-27-2005, 02:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I hated it. IMO it was just trying SOOOOOOOOO hard to be cool.

[/ QUOTE ]
But it succeeded. So why do you care if it tried?

Dominic
10-27-2005, 12:12 PM
when the hell is this on?? I keep trying to Tivo it but i can't find it

B Dids
10-27-2005, 12:42 PM
People built this up as something on par with Pulp Fiction, and it's really not. It's a dumb move that's slightly entertaining and not nearly as funny as it thinks that it is.

Way overrated by people who are actually aware of it.

Phoenix1010
10-27-2005, 12:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think it can be enjoyed.

I wouldn't say it's very good though.

[/ QUOTE ]

This pretty much sums it up.

samjjones
10-27-2005, 12:58 PM
Have never seen this.

A sequel is apparently in production:
Boondock Saints II: Electric Boogaloo (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0330083/)

-Skeme-
10-27-2005, 01:03 PM
This movie is overrated as all hell. Not very good.

imported_The Vibesman
10-27-2005, 01:13 PM
I personally don't know a single person who has seen this movie and doesn't like it. I can't for the life of me understand anyone who thinks it is not a fun movie to watch, and would be curious to know what movies from the last few years you like.

Anyone with the DVD, if you haven't watched the deleted scene where the McManus brothers talk to their mum in Ireland on the phone, watch it.

To the OP, one of my favorite scenes is right before that, when they are staring at the cat all over the wall, and Rocco says, "Is it dead?"

BCPVP
10-27-2005, 01:14 PM
That quote along with: "[It's] a [censored] six-shooter! There's nine bodies genius. What the [censored] were you gonna do? Laugh the last three to death, funny man?!"
Great stuff.

jakethebake
10-27-2005, 01:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
people who say its one of the best movies ever are idiots. its a very good movie and i really enjoyed watching it. not more than that.

[/ QUOTE ]

This sums it up perfectly.

steelcmg
10-27-2005, 01:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Have never seen this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Geez the movie people must really be out of ideas. This is the type of movie u do not make a second one of. Whats with all these remakes and part 2 of movies that are from 10+ years ago.

Shilly
10-27-2005, 01:23 PM
I like the movie, but the real prize is the theme music.

Jurollo
10-27-2005, 01:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Have never seen this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Geez the movie people must really be out of ideas. This is the type of movie u do not make a second one of. Whats with all these remakes and part 2 of movies that are from 10+ years ago.

[/ QUOTE ]

The sequel was going to revolve around some copy cats that the Saints need to help the cops catch. Everyone is in it except Dafoe. This movie is great because of what it did on a fairly low budget. The story is pretty well executed and the cinematography is pretty well done too. Top 50 of all time? No. But neither is Donnie Darko and they are both two of my favorite "cult" movies to watch on DVD.
~Justin

imported_The Vibesman
10-27-2005, 01:35 PM
The sequel's been in production forever. By all accounts, writer-director Troy Duffy is an insufferable jerk who has alienated just about everyone in the movie business. Boondock Saints was originally optioned by Harvey Weinstein and Miramax, and was going to be done on a much bigger budget, but Duffy got so full of himself and made so many demands of the producers, that he got himself and his project bounced from Miramax and ended up having to do it on a much smaller budget.

There was actually a documentary made about all of this, after Saints became a cult favorite.

Danenania
10-27-2005, 01:45 PM
I thought it sucked. I can never understand why people like it so much.

w_alloy
10-27-2005, 01:50 PM
Wow. Just wow. I cant believe these responses. This is one of the worst movies I have ever seen. Everyone I know and like who has seen it agrees with me.

I did enjoy watching it, but found it hard to believe it wasn't a parody. I dont mean "found it hard to believe" like some stuck up film elitest, I swear I lost a $10 bet on the subject. The lines were so cliche filled and canned. Everything was poorly executed. The movie tried so hard to be cool and smart, but the whole time it felt like listening to this 9 year old neighbor with sever Fetal Alcohol Syndrom who always tries to impress me.

From the responses in this thread so far, it looks like most will accuse me of snobbery or having a pole up my ass. Well believe whatever you want, but I don't think this is the case. This movie just sucked.

steelcmg
10-27-2005, 01:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Have never seen this.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The sequel was going to revolve around some copy cats that the Saints need to help the cops catch. Everyone is in it except Dafoe. This movie is great because of what it did on a fairly low budget. The story is pretty well executed and the cinematography is pretty well done too. Top 50 of all time? No. But neither is Donnie Darko and they are both two of my favorite "cult" movies to watch on DVD.
~Justin

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea i liked both movies alot i may end up likeing the 2nd one but its just hollywood has done nothing but make remakes and sequels for the last few years.

YourFoxyGrandma
10-27-2005, 02:11 PM
My friends quote this movie incessantly and it drives me crazy. They made me watch it. It was good, but...yeah, what everyone else said.

astroglide
10-27-2005, 02:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
People built this up as something on par with Pulp Fiction, and it's really not. It's a dumb move that's slightly entertaining and not nearly as funny as it thinks that it is.

[/ QUOTE ]

sublime
10-27-2005, 02:48 PM
how many on here have seen Monument Ave?

Good local flick with Denis Leary in it. My family is from the part of Boston the movie is talking about (Charlestown) and just from being a holligan in my youth I can attest to how authentic the film is.

Good stuff.

Sorry for the hijack, but wanted to chime in with an underated/unknown crime film.

imported_The Vibesman
10-27-2005, 02:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The movie is definitely nowhere near "Pulp Fiction," or "one of the best movies of all time," but I don't think it's deserving of some of the real hate it's getting. Kids with Fetal Alcohol Syndrome? (Tho that was funny, and I may use it to describe other movies.) I wonder if this is a backlash from having friends build the movie up way too much?

I thought it was an entertaining movie. Some cool characters. Bad accents. Willem Dafoe chewing scenery up. Ron Jeremy. "Where's he going? No-wheeeah." To each his own. But again, people that think it has no redeeming qualities whatsoever, I'm actually curious as to what recent movies you have enjoyed.

imported_The Vibesman
10-27-2005, 02:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
how many on here have seen Monument Ave?

Good local flick with Denis Leary in it. My family is from the part of Boston the movie is talking about (Charlestown) and just from being a holligan in my youth I can attest to how authentic the film is.

Good stuff.

Sorry for the hijack, but wanted to chime in with an underated/unknown crime film.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think I've caught this yet. I'll put it back on the list, it's one I meant to get when it came out, but it must have slipped through the cracks.

Or maybe I did see it. Does Leary do a ton of coke in one scene, making it look very realistic?

My memory sucks. Damn you, High School Days!

sublime
10-27-2005, 02:56 PM
Or maybe I did see it. Does Leary do a ton of coke in one scene, making it look very realistic?

lolz, yes.

EDIT: man i wish i could tell some of my stories on here. alas, as i am a businessman i cant. sorry gents /images/graemlins/frown.gif

astroglide
10-27-2005, 03:09 PM
i thought the movie was basically crap and have no intention to watch it again. the hype it was given was so astounding that i could easily see it driving people to hate the movie.

imported_The Vibesman
10-27-2005, 03:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i thought the movie was basically crap and have no intention to watch it again. the hype it was given was so astounding that i could easily see it driving people to hate the movie.

[/ QUOTE ]

When I saw this I had never heard of it, we thought the DVD looked interesting in the store. So I guess if it was overhyped and I was expecting some sort of incredible piece of filmmaking I would have been disappointed.

What confuses me is when people say it's total crap. Now I think most movies that come out nowadays are "total crap," so it's not like I'm saying you're wrong, but again, those that really hate this movie, I am curious as to what movies have come out in the past few years that you enjoyed.

[censored]
10-27-2005, 03:17 PM
I don't know how else to describe this movie other than I thought it was really dumb.

B Dids
10-27-2005, 03:34 PM
Dafeo's character just failed for me. I know it was supposed to be over the top, but it just went a few steps beyond that and ended up falling very flat.

I will note that his preformance here is why he was a great choice for the green goblin IF ONLY THEY'D USED THE ORIGINAL FasdflasklaghaslkfhasdlfkjasdfING COSTUME DESIGN AND LET US SEE HIS ASLKFJASDKLGASJDIFING FACE. (posibly the worst costuming decision ever for any number of reasons).

Another movie like this, that kinda got rolled into the "like Pulp Fiction" catagory is Suicide Kings, which is a fun movie if you ignore the ending, and never, ever, ever, listen to the directors commentary on the DVD.

Voltron87
10-27-2005, 03:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

im going to qualify this by saying its very good for the type of movie it is. that type of movie doesnt appeal to everyone.

B Dids
10-27-2005, 03:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

im going to qualify this by saying its very good for the type of movie it is. that type of movie doesnt appeal to everyone.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thing thing is that I think it's very specifically NOT very good for the type of movie it is, or at least that it was made out to be.

Voltron87
10-27-2005, 03:45 PM
frankly i dont even know what i meant by "type of movie". what i meant was that it wont appeal to everyone.

crownjules
10-27-2005, 03:52 PM
Overhyped? Hmm. Guess that's why I liked it so much. I had heard in passing one or two mention that it was a good movie, but no hype about it. I was at the store and saw it on sale for $7, so I picked it up and watched it with some friends. We all loved it. In fact, of all the people I've ever watched it with, only one person didn't like it and that was because he didn't like the premise.

I never heard any of the "this is like Pulp Fiction" hype, and I guess that would have made me view the film in a different light if I had. The movie may not be a top 50, but it's one of the few that I can watch many times without ever becoming bored of it.

peachy
10-27-2005, 03:53 PM
i luv this movie...ive been tryin to get matt to watch it for forever /images/graemlins/frown.gif

they are making a 2nd one YAY!!!

mah fav part is when Dafoe bitch slaps the guy in bed and calls him a [censored] LOL

imported_The Vibesman
10-27-2005, 03:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Dafeo's character just failed for me. I know it was supposed to be over the top, but it just went a few steps beyond that and ended up falling very flat.

I will note that his preformance here is why he was a great choice for the green goblin IF ONLY THEY'D USED THE ORIGINAL FasdflasklaghaslkfhasdlfkjasdfING COSTUME DESIGN AND LET US SEE HIS ASLKFJASDKLGASJDIFING FACE. (posibly the worst costuming decision ever for any number of reasons).

Another movie like this, that kinda got rolled into the "like Pulp Fiction" catagory is Suicide Kings, which is a fun movie if you ignore the ending, and never, ever, ever, listen to the directors commentary on the DVD.

[/ QUOTE ]

I liked his character in this, I recognize he's over the top. I thought there was sort of a dichotomy in the way he acted so grandiose because he thought the world of himself, but at the same time hated his homosexuality, said hatred manifesting itself in the way he treats other homosexuals. This love/hate relationship he had with himself actually made the character interesting for me, far more interesting than the brothers, whom I saw as misguided psychotics. I can see where some of his hamming it up could turn people off though.

It's funny what you say about his casting as the Goblin, I said exactly the same thing when Spider-Man came out; why would you cast someone as perfectly evil-looking as Willem Dafoe as your super-villain and then hide his frikken face?

I also enjoyed Suicide Kings a great deal, mainly for the acting of the ensemble cast; the plot had the usual twists and turns, nothing really surprising. But everyone was really good in it. Coincidentally, the kidnapped girl's boyfriend is the same actor as one of the McManus brothers in Boondock Saints.

The DVD for Suicide Kings has a couple of alternate endings; unfortunately none of them really hit home correctly. I never listen to director's commentary; if you have to tell me what you were trying to do, you probably didn't do it right. On another level, I don't care if you did do it right, if I'm not entertained, I don't want it explained. Or something.

I've never heard anyone compare either of these movies to Pulp Fiction, which really stands in a class of its own; such a comparison is definitely "BS".

imported_The Vibesman
10-27-2005, 03:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Overhyped? Hmm. Guess that's why I liked it so much. I had heard in passing one or two mention that it was a good movie, but no hype about it. I was at the store and saw it on sale for $7, so I picked it up and watched it with some friends. We all loved it. In fact, of all the people I've ever watched it with, only one person didn't like it and that was because he didn't like the premise.

I never heard any of the "this is like Pulp Fiction" hype, and I guess that would have made me view the film in a different light if I had. The movie may not be a top 50, but it's one of the few that I can watch many times without ever becoming bored of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

There really seems to be a trend here, with those that went into the movie expecting nothing enjoying it, and those that heard these "Pulp Fiction", "greatest movie ever," references being (quite understandably) disappointed and angry about the whole thing, feeling they got duped.

w_alloy
10-27-2005, 03:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]

What confuses me is when people say it's total crap. Now I think most movies that come out nowadays are "total crap," so it's not like I'm saying you're wrong, but again, those that really hate this movie, I am curious as to what movies have come out in the past few years that you enjoyed.

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually enjoy the vast majority of films I see, new and old. I dont love any movies from this genre, but I certainly have had a good time watching a nuber of them.

If it wasnt for the spoof/comedy factor, Boodock Saints would easily be the worst movie I have ever seen. Its been a while, maybe I was in a super cynical mood at the time.

Edit to add that I went in expecting a below average movie.

bobbyi
10-27-2005, 04:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Geez the movie people must really be out of ideas.

[/ QUOTE ]
nope (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0417148/)

TheMainEvent
10-27-2005, 04:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't remember the last time I laughed that hard.

imported_The Vibesman
10-27-2005, 04:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I actually enjoy the vast majority of films I see, new and old...If it wasnt for the spoof/comedy factor, Boodock Saints would easily be the worst movie I have ever seen.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess I don't see what makes "Saints" so much worse than some piece of total crap like "The Punisher," or "The Whole Ten Yards," or "The Whole Nine Yards," or any one of the literally hundreds of completely bad movies that have been released since "Saints", or why someone who generally enjoys any movie they see would hate this one so much. I don't mean to be hassling you or anything, I just think it's interesting, why people like what they like, which is why I'm curious as to what people who hated this movie think of as a good movie.

I do enjoy the crime genre, and you say you don't really love any crime movies (I assume that's what you meant by "this genre"), so maybe that's it, or maybe it's that I'm from Boston and more disposed to movies set there. Who knows. I'm definitely surprised by the polarized reactions, though. I'd expect either a "OK movie" or a "meh, I wasn't wild about it," but the "best movie ever" or "worst movie ever" reactions totally surprised me.

imported_The Vibesman
10-27-2005, 04:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do I find it mildly disappointing but ultimately not surprising that Sam Jackson is in this movie?

sublime
10-27-2005, 04:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

LMAO

TheMainEvent
10-27-2005, 04:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do I find it mildly disappointing but ultimately not surprising that Sam Jackson is in this movie?

[/ QUOTE ]

It looks like a whole culture on the IMDB message boards has emerged obsessed with what a bad idea this movie is.

B Dids
10-27-2005, 04:29 PM
I'm actually not that big of a fan of Pulp Fiction, but it was a frequent comparision. My issues were not that I was let down because it didn't mirror PF, just that it sucked.

The issue with the Suicide Kings directors commentary is that you realize the guy is a [censored] hack. It made me feel stupid for enjoying his movie.

Walken and Leary own that movie, and it is good, but not because of the writing or direction.

imported_The Vibesman
10-27-2005, 04:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm actually not that big of a fan of Pulp Fiction, but it was a frequent comparision. My issues were not that I was let down because it didn't mirror PF, just that it sucked.

[/ QUOTE ]

See that's what I was looking for; I'm a huge fan of Pulp Fiction and actually don't know why anyone wouldn't be. It's obvious we have very different taste in movies. However:
[ QUOTE ]

The issue with the Suicide Kings directors commentary is that you realize the guy is a [censored] hack. It made me feel stupid for enjoying his movie.

Walken and Leary own that movie, and it is good, but not because of the writing or direction.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree completely with this, the movie wasn't particularly well-written or directed, but the performances made the film (I also liked Henry Thomas, Jay Mohr and Jeremy Sisto quite a bit in this.)

astroglide
10-27-2005, 04:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

in the little blurp interview with the director of american psycho followed by christian bale's perspective on the character, it really seemed as if bale understood the movie much better than the director did.

BCPVP
10-27-2005, 09:28 PM
One thing I was always confused by in Boondock Saints was the pennies on the eyes. Why are two very Catholic Irish men fulfilling the religious rites of a completely different religion and especially on people who probably aren't of that religion anyway? Was it just meant to throw the police off?