PDA

View Full Version : Springfield 1911-A1: its a beauty!

Zeno
06-09-2003, 11:04 PM
Just purchased a Springfield 1911-A1 and like it immensely. I got the parkerized finish, which is flat black and gives the gun a workmanlike no frills look, and Novak night sights. Cost was a reasonable $ 821.54 and that includes the sales tax. I had to swear on a stack of bibles that I was not addicted to a whole plethora of drugs, including marijuana, and that I was not insane or a convicted felony, or an alien and other such rot.

The pistol fits my hand very well and I like the heft to the gun. It is very easy to aim and shoot, in fact, far easier than my smaller 9mm Beretta. Recoil is obviously more but that just adds to the appeal of the gun. The gun just “feels natural” and I easily hit everything and anything I aimed at. Tonight, I blasted some plastic gallon and half-gallon milk jugs filled with water – to test out the punch of the 230-grain hollow points (self-defense rounds) that I have. Also ran through some plunker ammo also. This baby is fun to shoot and I could easily go through hundreds of rounds. The night sights are the nuts also, easy to see and just the right brightness so as not to detract from sighting and aim.

It is hard to find anything “wrong” or to gripe about with this gun. The magazine is o.k. But the first round in when loading hangs up some, very minor really. I see why getting the Wilson mags, as HDPM suggested, is probably a good idea. Custom grips would be wise also, although the gun feels very comfortable in hand as is.

The gun also has an integral locking system. On the handle is very small inset “screw” that you rotate with a special notched key. This locks out the main spring and the gun simply will not operate. You cannot even cock the hammer. Good safety feature if small kids are around. The screw is also very inconspicuous which is a well thought out feature.

Glad I bought this gun and thanks to HDPM for suggesting the purchase. I am very satisfied with this baby. She’s a beauty.

John Cole and Andy Fox will soon own one of these I’m sure. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif Just right for a good time out in the cities of the east coast or in La-La Land. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif The perfect night companion. /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif

-Zeno

PS for Ray: The gun is too good to use for an anchor, but you could beat a buffalo to death with it. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

Ray Zee
06-10-2003, 12:16 AM
you will like the gun as its a good one for sure. if they still make the 180 sivertip grain slugs i would rather have those for self defense, but anything it shoots should drop a creep. good grips always help as does a little tweeking on the trigger. if you are shooting alot or even a little wear ear protection or you will regret it.

Zeno
06-10-2003, 02:15 AM
Thanks for the tips. I do have ear protectors (muffs), a reasonably good pair I got at Sears for about $25. They help a lot and I always use them when shooting. I never did use ear protection when I was younger but I am a little bit wiser now. Not much, but some.

-Zeno

HDPM
06-10-2003, 06:56 PM
Good for you. I am jealous now. You got a good deal with night sights. I would have a little concern about the round hanging up. It might be the mag but you might want a ramp and throat job on it. I didn't think you'd need that with the new Springfields. Maybe call them. They would do it I'm sure, but you would have to send the gun back. Then again, if it is reliable now you might not want to mess with it or trust it to a local gunsmith. If you think about grips tell me and I will try to get you some info on the place where I live. They are excellent. They do good wood grips for the 1911 - cocobolo etc... They look good. Not gaudy or anything.

I agree with your choice of rounds too. 230 grain JHP is what I would use. The silvertips Ray mentioned work of course, but since the .45 is a big slow thing anyway, I go with the big bullets. And I also don't know about those new Federal personal defense rounds that are light bullets loaded down. No thanks. Full house 230 grain loads are the way to go IMO. The 230 grain Hydra-Shok is excellent, and I think the Golden Sabers are excellent too. There are a few others. The most overrated round ever was the Black Talon, but I have a box of 230 grain BTs in the garage just to be politically incorrect. They're more a collectors item than effective tho.

Ray Zee
06-11-2003, 12:48 AM
silver tips are the only load that you can count on not to jam in a 45 imo. and the light loads expand well rather than trying to knock something down with a ball. but thats all just personal opinion. and when it comes to sporting things or cars its all b.s. anyway.

Phat Mack
06-12-2003, 04:09 AM
Custom grips would be wise also, although the gun feels very comfortable in hand as is.

What type grips did it come with? For some reason, I always liked the etched plastic grips on the GI models...

Zeno
06-12-2003, 02:35 PM
"What type grips did it come with?"

Checked wood grips, a pleasing reddish brown color (mahogany?)

Also, I should add that my minor gripe in the original post had to do with hand loading rounds into the magazine – it had nothing to do with the loading function of the gun itself, which works perfectly. Wanted to make that very clear.

-Zeno

HDPM
06-12-2003, 03:21 PM
That's good to hear it's just a mag. Easy enough to rectify.