PDA

View Full Version : SSHE - Pot odds error?

10-26-2005, 08:45 PM
I apologize if this has been asked before, but I didn't see it in the part 1 discussion from last year on this book, so I thought I would ask here for clarification.

On page 27, Publius states that "If you must call a $4 bet, and the pot currently contains $40 (including the $4 bet), then your pot odds are 40-to-4 or 10-to-1". I have previously understood (and been taught) that pot odds are in relation to the current size of the pot, not the size of the pot + the bet you would call. In this example not including your call would mean 9-to-1 pot odds instead of 10-to-1. So did the author(s) make a rare mistake, or is this actually the correct way to calculate pot odds?

uuDevil
10-26-2005, 08:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]

On page 27, Publius states that "If you must call a $4 bet, and the pot currently contains $40 (including the $4 bet), then your pot odds are 40-to-4 or 10-to-1". I have previously understood (and been taught) that pot odds are in relation to the current size of the pot, not the size of the pot + the bet you would call. In this example not including your call would mean 9-to-1 pot odds instead of 10-to-1. So did the author(s) make a rare mistake, or is this actually the correct way to calculate pot odds?

[/ QUOTE ]
The book is correct. You don't include the bet you are putting in the pot to make the call, but the bet you are calling is already part of the pot.

10-26-2005, 09:24 PM
Ah ok, so I read it wrong. I thought the $4 bet was the calling bet, not the bet to you (the caller). Thanks for the clarification.