PDA

View Full Version : $22: First hand KK

10-26-2005, 07:22 PM
Okay, it's the first hand of a $22 10man tournament on UB. I am in middle position and have KK. All stacks are obviously equal and blinds are 5/10.

UTG raises to 70, 2nd position calls, 3rd folds, I raise to 200. It folds around to the SB who goes all in for 1500. It folded around to me and I called.

He turned over AKs and flopped an ace.

Did I play this wrong? I realize I probably shouldn't fold KK preflop and I did get in as a favorite, but sometimes I'm surprised by the advice I read on here. So, did I do something wrong with this hand? Or did I just come out on the crappy end of the stick?

bluefeet
10-26-2005, 07:24 PM
You played it perfectly.

Nick M
10-26-2005, 07:26 PM
defintely not...god if i could get that push every time, the ferraris I would buy daaaammmnnn

flyingmoose
10-26-2005, 07:38 PM
As a general rule, you should ask yourself "would I post this if I had won the hand." If the answer is no, then you shouldn't question yourself. Following results will only confuse you and make you a worse player.

10-26-2005, 08:07 PM
Okay. Thanks, guys.

The only reason I really asked is because I ran the hand in Poker Stove and was surprised to see that I was only 65/35. I wasn't sure if I was overvaluing (obviously that's tough to do preflop with KK) my hand or what.

I appreciate it.

tigerite
10-26-2005, 08:10 PM
"Only"?

This is a HUGE edge, there is no player in the world that could pass up such an edge even for his first hand at his first table in the WSOP and be good enough to come back and make back that EV over the whole tournament.

Well that might be a slight exaggeration, but certainly in an SNG it applies.

Anyway it sucks way more when you have AA, push and get called by KK and AK, and the board comes QJT98. Trust me.. it happened to me tonight. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

10-26-2005, 09:27 PM
I didn't mean to suggest that 65/45 isn't a great advantage, it's just that I had been knocked out one spot from the money in the hand before as a 95% favorite. And at about the same time as an 85% favorite. So I guess 65% doesn't seem like enough to me.

Actually...when I realized I'm 65% this week, I feel like an underdog. haha

Scuba Chuck
10-26-2005, 09:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
As a general rule, you should ask yourself "would I post this if I had won the hand." If the answer is no, then you shouldn't question yourself. Following results will only confuse you and make you a worse player.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, that's terrible advice.

hobbes9324
10-26-2005, 10:02 PM
Well, yeah it is.....I think he was trying to say "don't be results oriented" without using exactly the phrase, since it shows up on about every third thread.

OTOH, I could be wrong......

kyro
10-26-2005, 11:07 PM
Here's a good rule of thumb.

When did the money go in: Preflop
What were the odds of you winning when the money went in?: You: 70% Him: 30%

What do you think?