PDA

View Full Version : Brain Teasers

03-11-2002, 10:41 AM
BRAIN TEASERS

1. A murderer is condemned to death. He has to choose between three rooms. The first is full of raging fires, the second is full of assassins with loaded guns, and the third is full of lions that haven't eaten in 3 years. Which room is safest for him?

2. A woman shoots her husband. Then she holds him under water for over 5 minutes. Finally, she hangs him. But 5 minutes later they both go out together and enjoy a wonderful dinner together. How can this be?

3. There are two plastic jugs filled with water. How could you put all of this water into a barrel, without using the jugs or any dividers, and still tell which water came from which jug?

4. What is black when you buy it, red when you use it, and gray when you throw it away?

5. Can you name three consecutive days without using the words Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, or Sunday?

6. This is an unusual paragraph. I'm curious how quickly you can find out what is so unusual about it? It looks so plain you would think nothing was wrong with it! In fact, nothing is wrong with it!

It is unusual though. Study it, and think about it, but you still may not find anything odd. But if you work at it a bit, you might find out! Try to do so without any coaching!

Answers will follow soon

03-11-2002, 11:20 AM
1) the room full of dead lions

2)?

3) put the barrel over the jugs

4)? newsprint?

5) yesterday,today,tomorrow

6)?

03-11-2002, 11:47 AM
6. no letter "e"?

03-11-2002, 12:21 PM
2) She took a picture of him.

3) Freeze the water in one of the jugs.

03-11-2002, 01:00 PM
FOR ALL OF YOU THAT WILL NEVER MAKE WHO WANTS TO BE A MILLIONAIRE OR EVEN THE WEAKEST LINK...HERE'S THE WORLD'S EASIEST QUIZ!

1) How long did the Hundred Years War last?

2) Which country makes Panama hats?

3) From which animal do we get catgut?

4) In which month do Russians celebrate the October Revolution?

5) What is a camel's hairbrush made of?

6) The Canary Islands in the Pacific are named after what animal?

7) What was King George VI's first name?

/images/glasses.gif What colour is a purple finch?

9) Where are Chinese gooseberries from?

03-11-2002, 01:19 PM
The lion's room.

After 3 years of not eating, they're dead.

03-11-2002, 01:29 PM
black when you buy it, red when you use it and grey when you throw it away.

Charcoal?

03-11-2002, 02:11 PM
Collectively you got them all...but just to make it official:

1. The third. Lions that haven't eaten in three years are dead.

2. The woman was a photographer. She shot a picture of her husband, developed it, and hung it up to dry.

3. Freeze them first. Take them out of the jugs and put the ice in the barrel. You will be able to tell which water came from which jug.

4. The answer is Charcoal. In Homer Simpson's words: mmmmmmm... Barbecue.

5. Yesterday, Today, and Tomorrow

6. The letter "e", which is the most common letter in the English language, does not appear once in the long paragraph.

I love brain teasers...but I hate getting them emailed at work... I end up not being able to do my regular work because I am constantly trying to think about the problems and figure them out...I'm very competitive (which is a main reason I enjoy poker) and will not rest until I figure out all the solutions!!!!

Good job to all....and thanks to debbie who will probably keep me thinking for quite a bit longer!!! /images/smile.gif

03-11-2002, 02:14 PM
BRAIN TEASERS

1. A murderer is condemned to death. He has to choose between three rooms. The first is full of raging fires, the second is full of assassins with loaded guns, and the third is full of lions that haven't eaten in 3 years. Which room is safest for him?

Presumably, the assassins were also condemned to death and are therefore already dead. Choose that room.

2. A woman shoots her husband. Then she holds him under water for over 5 minutes. Finally, she hangs him. But 5 minutes later they both go out together and enjoy a wonderful dinner together. How can this be?

She was developing film and then they got hungry.

3. There are two plastic jugs filled with water. How could you put all of this water into a barrel, without using the jugs or any dividers, and still tell which water came from which jug?

Freeze one of the jugs

4. What is black when you buy it, red when you use it, and gray when you throw it away?

No clue

5. Can you name three consecutive days without using the words Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, or Sunday?

eg. April 1, 2 and 3?

6. This is an unusual paragraph. I'm curious how quickly you can find out what is so unusual about it? It looks so plain you would think nothing was wrong with it! In fact, nothing is wrong with it!

It is unusual though. Study it, and think about it, but you still may not find anything odd. But if you work at it a bit, you might find out! Try to do so without any coaching!

There is no letter "e" in the paragraph which is highly unusual.

03-11-2002, 02:17 PM
When was the war of 1812?

So, when is the New Years Eve Party again? {this one I actually heard someone say in all seriousness)

03-11-2002, 02:49 PM
A friend, visiting our house and helping out in the kitchen, asked us where we keep the ice.

03-11-2002, 07:12 PM
Kinda like the moron that goes up to a guy in Wal-Mart that is wearing a blue vest with a nametag and says to him, "Do you work here?"

No...I just wear this ugly vest and a Wal-Mart nametag, and am stocking this shelf 'cause it makes me look cool.

03-11-2002, 07:34 PM
1) How long did the Hundred Years War last?

> > > 116 years

2) Which country makes Panama hats?

> > > Ecuador

3) From which animal do we get cat gut?

> > > Sheep and Horses

4) In which month do Russians celebrate the October Revolution?

> > > November

5) What is a camel's hair brush made of?

> > > Squirrel fur

6) The Canary Islands in the Pacific are named after what animal?

> > > Dogs

7) What was King George VI's first name?

> > > Albert

/images/glasses.gif What colour is a purple finch?

> > > Crimson

9) Where are Chinese gooseberries from?

> > > New Zealand

Anyone get them all?

03-11-2002, 07:52 PM
Knew that probably none of them were the obvious answer... The only 2 I was close on was the Hundred Years war (I thought I remembered 114 years, so that was at least in the ballpark). And then I guessed Dogs for some reason for the Canary Islands...probably no reason for it, except a dog was the first animal to come to mind (besides of course a canary).

Very interesting "brain teasers"...I'm just glad I didn't post all my guesses on here...that would have been funny!!!! /images/smile.gif

03-11-2002, 07:54 PM
I used to work at a supermarket when I was in high school and we had to wear green aprons and nametags. When people did this I acted all surprised by the question and said "No". They would sometimes stand there looking flustered for a while but no one ever questioned it.

-Glenn

03-12-2002, 02:58 AM
Huh? I got none... thank you very much.

03-12-2002, 10:28 AM
the Hundred Years War actually lasted 117 years. (we don't play the original Genus 1 editioin of Trivial Pursuit anymore because we've memorized all the answers. what is Diphallic Terrata, anyone?)

03-16-2002, 12:19 PM
Diphallic Terata: A condition where a man is born with two penises.

I been searching all my life...bastards are hiding.

03-17-2002, 04:37 AM
ok, then, what color is Yak's milk?

memorized too many questions. we now play genus 5. but, being young and having grown up with pop culture for far too long, it is kind of easy sometimes.