PDA

View Full Version : Dreams & poker

valenzuela
10-26-2005, 05:46 PM
Is this the right forum??
Suppose you dream a dead relative of yours comes and tells you" call with 52o when it matters the most", then in 4 more days you have the same exact dream.
Anyway youre playing a big buy-in NLHE tournament( big = youre excited about playing the tournament because of the buy-in)6 players left and youre the second biggest stack.( the avg.stack is like 25x the BB, u have 35 BB or so)
Anyway a shorty pushes, the big stack pushes on top of him and youre looking at 52o, do you??

mackthefork
10-26-2005, 05:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Is this the right forum??
Suppose you dream a dead relative of yours comes and tells you" call with 52o when it matters the most", then in 4 more days you have the same exact dream.
Anyway youre playing a big buy-in NLHE tournament( big = youre excited about playing the tournament because of the buy-in)6 players left and youre the second biggest stack.( the avg.stack is like 25x the BB, u have 35 BB or so)
Anyway a shorty pushes, the big stack pushes on top of him and youre looking at 52o, do you??

[/ QUOTE ]

No way I'm folding that [censored] when I get to see all 5 cards and the winning hand, I'd never forgive myself.

Mack

yellowjack
10-26-2005, 06:11 PM
This question is analogous to asking if you believe in fate.

valenzuela
10-26-2005, 06:12 PM
I would call as well, but that isnt a rational desition. Even though I know it irrational I would still make the call, btw Ive had precognitive dreams.

Mr. Curious
10-26-2005, 06:33 PM
I would fold, but curiously await the final board to see how the 52o would have fit into it.

btw - You forgot to mention whether or not you liked your relative and whether or not they liked you. I think that could have a bit of influence on your decision.

10-26-2005, 08:45 PM
Do you play based on feelings or do you play based on reason?

Rasputin
10-26-2005, 10:19 PM
The only dead relative I have that would come tell me this died before I started playing poker and knows I wouldn't believe the dream anyway.

Hell, he was so rational if there actually is a heaven, and he's there, he probably thinks he's still in the hospital enjoying a morphine induced hallucination.

10-27-2005, 02:31 PM
call! but I don't have any relatives knowing anything about poker. and obviously you don't either otherwise you wouldn't get such an advice like calling a big bet with 2,5 offsuit /images/graemlins/smile.gif

onegymrat
10-27-2005, 04:52 PM
My dead relatives didn't play cards, so I guess it would have to be one of the Binions for me to push.

kelvin474
10-27-2005, 05:01 PM
lol, i call. wtf? I'm already 6th, that probably makes good money anyway right?

Change it to the first hand of a monster tourney, or "Everyone pushes into you on the first hand and you have 52o" to isolate the "do you believe" factor.

rwanger
10-27-2005, 05:14 PM
I'd want to call, I really would. But I swear I can be a big pussy when it comes to pulling the trigger with 52o.

In reality, I fold. Then pray that it gets folded around so that I don't even have the chance to see the flop when it comes: 522.

ZenMusician
10-27-2005, 05:27 PM
What if that relative told you to fold AA
"when it mattered most"

IF you believed in the afterlife, IF you believed in
the possibility of communication with such and
IF you believed this was a communication and not a
dream...wouldn't you be pissed it wasn't the winning
powerball number?

-ZEN

poker-penguin
10-28-2005, 07:41 AM
I don't believe in ghosts, and even if I did I don't believe they can predetermine the results of a poker hand and even if I did believe in ghosts knowing the future, this wouldn't be when it mattered most. Now holding 52o on a board of As 3 4 Js 8s after doing the betting from the flop and your opponent suddenly wakes up and pushes the river when you two are massive chipleaders. Then I would call (although dead relative or not I'd probably call).

Dan Mezick
10-28-2005, 10:25 AM
None of this can be quantified, even so, you cannot completely discount a recurring dream.

However, "when it matters most" is the qualifier in the message and clearly it does not matter to you very much here.

FOLD.