PDA

View Full Version : Can you guys play tired?

Indiana
10-26-2005, 05:30 PM
When I'm fresh and rested I'm great, but when tired I'm ur common fish. Do you guys find that you can't play well tired? I was happy to see that Harrah's added extra days to the '06 WSOP by the way as this helps players like me to get rest.

Indy

yellowjack
10-26-2005, 05:45 PM
I don't think anyone can. By defintion of being tired, you have little energy. Poker, especially NLHE tournaments, require you have a lot of energy to observe people and use it to adjust to your read on them.

Alternatively, I have felt tired but "woken up" when I was dealt cards because I knew I had to pay attention to everyone.

Of course if you're playing against total idiots then you could be half-asleep and stack them.

Indiana
10-26-2005, 05:48 PM
These are my feelings exactly. After a hard day's work sitting in a cubicle I feel so drained when I get home to play that I recently have found myself not making much $ at all. I don't lose anything, but I just trickle along.

Indy

Mr. Curious
10-26-2005, 06:35 PM
The only time I will play tired is if I am an overwhelming favorite despite how much worse I play when I am tired..

Otherwise I get up and go home.

10-26-2005, 08:40 PM
online multitabling : no
live full table : 80%

10-27-2005, 12:01 AM
obv, if ur tired and not feeling up to something of course your going to do worse.....common sense?

however answering honestly sometimes esp for a nice live game playing will wake me right up, however esp for online if i dont feel "in the mood" or and pretty tired i will stop for obvious reasons unless the game situation is just too "ripe"

10-27-2005, 04:41 AM
The thing for me is that staring at a screen when im tired combined with a lessened ability to concentrate really, really hurts my play. I'm the type where my play decreases from music being played in the background.

For live games it seems easier to focus, since its not as fast as live, and you are really immersed in the environment. Plus, theres free coke/coffee to help you stay awake where I play live.

edit, I mispoke

SNOWBALL138
10-27-2005, 04:48 AM
I think what you experiencing is that you play longer sessions when you are losing, which makes you tired. On average, when you are losing, you play worse, and your opponents play better.

I recommend practicing better game selection. I play great against bad predictable players whether I am tired or energized. I play badly against deceptive, TAGGish players whether I am tired or energized.

I don't think being tired is a good reason to leave an unusually good game.

If you're playing tournaments, my comments don't apply very well.

chekthastak
10-27-2005, 10:19 AM
I think I play my hand the same whether I'm wide awake or half asleep, it's play other peoples hands that I simply can't do when I'm tired. The reason is because I have no desire to play other people's hands when I'm tired. All I know is what I have, and what course of action I should take to a particular bet. I really don't focus on who made the bet when I'm tired.