PDA

View Full Version : Proper Job Interview attire

BoogerFace
10-26-2005, 04:48 PM
I've got a job interview tomorrow. Is a suit and tie standard these days or too dressy? I hate the business casual concept.

Currently I'm a software engineer at a small OEM, my interview is for a large hardware company.

p.s. I hate job interviews. So much so that it's been 8 years since my last one.

Crimson
10-26-2005, 04:49 PM
Yeah. Suit and Tie = very important.

stabn
10-26-2005, 04:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah. Suit and Tie = very important.

[/ QUOTE ]

In the software industry this really depends on the company. If you don't know better and can't find out then i agree. However a suit is almost always overkill in this industry.

jnalpak
10-26-2005, 04:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I hate the business casual concept.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is only AFTER you get the job

Suit & Tie is mandatory Good Luck!

B Dids
10-26-2005, 04:55 PM
I had this debate a while back wrt people I interviewed.

One girl was dressed normally, professionaly.

The other girl was in an outfit that while mostly professional, the top was sleevless and a little risque (it would have worked with a blazer, but wouldn't have been out of place in a club either). Now I don't mind, and both were dress comparativly nicer than I was, but it did tilt my perception of the 2nd girl.

Not because I judge people specifically on how they're dressed, but because dressing like that calls into question the thought process that the person employeed in preparing for the interview.

Basically the first person went with the option that likely had no negatives, the second went with an option that while is likely totally acceptable, depending on the audience could bring negatives, which is something I might consider when judging two closely qualified candidates. Simply because by my mind one person was likely to have employed better logic than the other.

(now in this case there were other factors that swung the hire, but I was just thinking about this after the fact, mostly because that girl's choice of apparel did strike me as an unwise one).

So the short answer is: Don't [censored] around, people will likely judge you and you'll never go wrong by dressing up.

stabn
10-26-2005, 04:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I hate the business casual concept.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is only AFTER you get the job

Suit & Tie is mandatory Good Luck!

[/ QUOTE ]

While this is the safe bet it is not true.

10-26-2005, 04:59 PM
Always better to overdress for an interview. Also, better to be overly professional in your behavior, if the interviewer shows that he has a sense of humor show that you do too, but don't over do it. Make sure to smile and maintain eye contact throughout. Also, bring several copies of your resume, don't assume they have a copy.

Rduke55
10-26-2005, 05:01 PM
Hard hat. Thong.

(Seriously, go with the suit and tie).

MonkeeMan
10-26-2005, 05:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Always better to overdress for an interview. Also, better to be overly professional in your behavior, if the interviewer shows that he has a sense of humor show that you do too, but don't over do it. Make sure to smile and maintain eye contact throughout. Also, bring several copies of your resume, don't assume they have a copy.

[/ QUOTE ]

good stuff

rohjoh
10-26-2005, 05:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
large hardware company.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it makes a big difference who the hardware company is, and in what part of the country. For example if it is IBM then a suit and tie is the answer, if it is Sun, or Cisco then a nice dress shirt and slcks is fine.

4_2_it
10-26-2005, 05:04 PM
Suit and tie is a must. Relax and be yourself. Be an attentive listener and ask questions. I like candidates who speak well and ask good questions.

Also, if you can obtain pictures of your interviewer in a compromising position with a barnyard animal, then I can guarantee a large job offer is coming your way!

beta1607
10-26-2005, 05:06 PM
Suit + tie + polished/clean looking shoes. It is almost always better to be over dressed then underdressed.

M2d
10-26-2005, 05:08 PM
http://www.dumbanddumbercostumes.com/images/side_bluetuxedo.jpg

BoogerFace
10-26-2005, 05:09 PM
A suit and tie it is. Too bad the thong is at the cleaners.

Thanks everybody.

AngryCola
10-26-2005, 05:19 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v431/AngryCola/stormtrooper_pirate.jpg

You will definitely leave an impression.

Freakin
10-26-2005, 05:20 PM
You're almost never overdressed for an interview in a suit & tie.

Freakin

The Goober
10-26-2005, 05:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll go against the grain and say that it is possible to overdress for an interview, especially in some industries (specifically software). I interviewed for my current job in jeans and a t-shirt (I usually upgrade to a button-down shirt for interview days, but I came straight from my current job to the interview and I didn't want people there to get suspicious).

If I was interviewing a candidate that wore a full suit and tie, my initial impression would be that he's either a) trying to hard, or b) doesn't really understand the corporate culture for this industry.

TheIrishThug
10-26-2005, 05:37 PM
u can always find a negative in everything someone does. i've got an interview next week and am going jacket and tie. i've talked to ppl whose job it is to get students like me jobs and they said "better to overdress than under" and "a suit is not an absolute must for the tech industry".

BellyBuster7
10-26-2005, 05:40 PM
Yep, I gotta agree with Goober. I'm a Software Engineer and showed up to an interview wearing a shirt, tie, and slacks. The interviewer, wearing ripped jeans and a T-shirt, said he was suspicious of people wearing ties. I'd recommend trying to get to know the culture of the place beforehand and dressing slightly above that.

Cancer Merchant
10-26-2005, 05:57 PM
I'm also used to the IT style of interviewing, so I go with a dressh shirt/slacks and normally no tie. In the next quarter or so I plan to move into either nonprofit (since I hate money) or another different field; is the suit mandatory for an interview or can I pull off a sport coat and tie?

B Dids
10-26-2005, 05:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll go against the grain and say that it is possible to overdress for an interview, especially in some industries (specifically software). I interviewed for my current job in jeans and a t-shirt (I usually upgrade to a button-down shirt for interview days, but I came straight from my current job to the interview and I didn't want people there to get suspicious).

If I was interviewing a candidate that wore a full suit and tie, my initial impression would be that he's either a) trying to hard, or b) doesn't really understand the corporate culture for this industry.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would say this makes you a shitty interviewer more than anything else.

Freakin
10-26-2005, 06:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm with Dids on this one. I think that if I was interviewing someone in the IT field who wore a suit to an interview, I'd think "He's playing it safe".

wonderwes
10-26-2005, 06:47 PM
It all depends on the company. I think its better to wear a tie, but no coat. Wear a non white shirt (like blue, gray, green) so you have a professional look but a suit just seems to give the wrong impression. If everyone at the office is wearing suits, then you need to wear one to the interview. If people are not wearing a suit, then a tie should work.

Oh yeah, I hate f'ing job interviews. Nothing better than having to sell yourself to a complete stranger (recruiter).

private joker
10-26-2005, 07:36 PM
Here's a good compromise so you look nice but not overdressed/trying too hard:

Dress shirt, blazer, slacks, no tie. Black shoes.

Ulysses
10-26-2005, 07:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually agree w/ him more than you, Dids. Then again, I've probably only interviewed a few hundred people.

Ulysses
[ QUOTE ]
I'd recommend trying to get to know the culture of the place beforehand and dressing slightly above that.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the best answer.

-Skeme-
I wore dirty clothes. Sweatshirt, jeans, tennis shoes, backwards hat. Seriously. I got the job, though. For the orientation I bought some nice clothes.

Tie, dress shirt, slacks and dress shoes are what I reccommend you wear.

daryn
10-26-2005, 07:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I wore dirty clothes. Sweatshirt, jeans, tennis shoes, backwards hat. Seriously. I got the job, though. For the orientation I bought some nice clothes.

Tie, dress shirt, slacks and dress shoes are what I reccommend you wear.

[/ QUOTE ]

the question is, did you brush your teeth?

-Skeme-
10-26-2005, 07:43 PM
I can't remember, probably not. I think I had some mints, though. Or probably some mouth wash.

jstnrgrs
10-26-2005, 07:44 PM
I'm in a different industry, but in my office, everyone wears jeans and t-shirt, yet everytime someone comes in for an interview, they wear a suit. If I were interviewing someone, I would expect a suit regardless of what the everyday dress is for the office.

[censored]
10-26-2005, 07:47 PM
wow IMO you've already started off on the wrong foot. I cannot fathom going to interview for a grown up job where I would not know this for certain before going in.

If you have to I would simply call the HR person or perhaps even a secretary and ask what their dress code is and what is expected at interviews. This isn't even close to the best method but it is a hell of alo better than guessing wrong.

Ulysses
10-26-2005, 07:47 PM
In many Bay Area SW companies, a SW engineer who even thought to come to the interview in a suit would very likely not be a good fit for the company. On the flip side, when guys show up in ratty jeans and t-shirt, they are starting w/ negative points from me.

jstnrgrs
10-26-2005, 07:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
In many Bay Area SW companies, a SW engineer who even thought to come to the interview in a suit would very likely not be a good fit for the company. On the flip side, when guys show up in ratty jeans and t-shirt, they are starting w/ negative points from me.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is crazy. It's not like they will wear a suit for everyday work.

judgesmails
10-26-2005, 07:53 PM
Best advice I have heard is to dress just above the level of what you normally wear on the job. Or on the save level your supervisor might dress. Never dress above the level of the person you will be interviewed by.

I assume you usually wear a collared, buttoned shirt and casual slacks to work.

Wear a nice, solid buttoned-down shirt with a tie and a dress slacks for the interview. Sport coat optional.

ddubois
10-26-2005, 08:00 PM
It is very illogical, but there are many programmer types who think not having to wear business attire is some sort of badge of honor, and feel superior because of it. These hyppies see you in a suit, and think you are "not like me", rather "one of them" and will immediately be pre-disposed against you.

Ulysses
10-26-2005, 08:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I can't remember, probably not. I think I had some mints, though. Or probably some mouth wash to mask the vile stench emanating from my mouth full of rotting teeth.

[/ QUOTE ]

My very first FYP!

Homer
10-26-2005, 08:28 PM
This thread is a bit silly. Assuming you don't show up in a bowtie or in your underwear, the decision shouldn't come down to your attire. If it does, the company isn't worth working for.

-Skeme-
10-26-2005, 08:30 PM
Hopefully the very last.

TheIrishThug
10-26-2005, 08:47 PM
I think the real question is if Diablo would wear the mask to an interview.

B Dids
10-26-2005, 11:55 PM
Look at my post earlier in the thread. I think it just speaks to the mindset of the person you're interviewing. If all think are equal, one thing that might point me in the direction of one candidate is the fact that they had a little forethought put into how people might perceive what they wear.

I wouldn't ever assume somebody was trying too hard by going with the suit and tie, I'd just assume they were playing it safe.

ZeeJustin
10-27-2005, 12:23 AM
If you wear a name tag, make sure that it does NOT say "Boogerface".

Shajen
10-27-2005, 09:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
This thread is a bit silly. Assuming you don't show up in a bowtie or in your underwear, the decision shouldn't come down to your attire. If it does, the company isn't worth working for.

[/ QUOTE ]

Homer smart.

arod15
10-27-2005, 11:11 AM
Unless noted otherwise always wear a suit.

IndieMatty
10-27-2005, 11:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Homer smart.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not here. Professionalism and preparedness are a key factor in hiring and keeping a job. A lack of common sense, I.E. Not wearing a suit to a job interview, is not a desirable trait.

dabluebery
10-27-2005, 11:26 AM
I worked for a guy a few years ago in the securities industry at a small office, he was a one man show. Guys from the securities industry in small offices are often business casual, so when I was on the phone setting up an interview, I said "I'll come down in a suit for the interview?" trying to gauge whether the guy would say "Nah, don't be silly. My father wore a suit, I wear jeans to work."

The guy flipped out. "You should make your own decision, and I am judging you based on that decision," he told me. So I wore a suit, and hated the guy. I should have known during that phone call not to even bother. I lasted about 9 weeks. My last few days we had an argument about how to staple some IRA paperwork.

You know, is it 'ok' to have the staple in the upper left hand corner VERTICALLY, or is horizontal the only acceptable way. My vote for "It doesn't matter," didn't hold much weight.

poincaraux
10-27-2005, 11:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Unless noted otherwise always wear a suit.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is why it's a good idea to call ahead and ask what's appropriate. I worked as a software engineer in the Bay Area right after I graduated from college. At the end of my phone interview, my (future) boss's boss asked me to come in for a real interview. I asked what to wear. She said "whatever you want." I said something like "I was born and raised in Kansas, so I'll probably show up in a suit and tie, then." She actually screamed "NO! NO SUIT! NO TIE!" /images/graemlins/smile.gif. She then said that I might want to wear pants instead of shorts, but certainly nothing more than khakis and a decent shirt. That was good, because I didn't actually own a suit at that point.

IndieMatty
10-27-2005, 11:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What about like a trendy suit with a pattened shirt or something, like a tight black cut, a more patterned shirt, like some sort of clash? Wouldn't that be the safe way to go?

Shajen
10-27-2005, 11:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Homer smart.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not here. Professionalism and preparedness are a key factor in hiring and keeping a job. A lack of common sense, I.E. Not wearing a suit to a job interview, is not a desirable trait.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, what I mean is, if you show up wearing a suit and tie and they don't offer you the job because they all wear jeans, then I don't want to work there in the first place.

When interviewing, you cannot go wrong (in my field, anyway) wearing a suit and tie.

2planka
10-27-2005, 01:17 PM
If you want to be treated like a king, you should dress like the King.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v713/wormtowne/Elvis.jpg

10-27-2005, 02:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That is the first camel toe I have ever seen on on a man. Id def go with the above.

jakethebake
10-27-2005, 02:32 PM
I had some Canadian guy show up for an interview with no socks once. He was some minor league or semi-pro hockey player that was looking for a job in the offseason. It was weird because he was dressed very nicely, except when you looked down you saw his hairy ankles.

jaydub
10-27-2005, 02:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What about like a trendy suit with a pattened shirt or something, like a tight black cut, a more patterned shirt, like some sort of clash? Wouldn't that be the safe way to go?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes at a young company that will be a very nice play and probably exactly what I would do. Especially in an urban area where khakis tend to be frowned upon.

Oh and to whomever mentioned a tie with no coat. Don't ever wear a tie without a coat, it makes you look like a tool.

10-27-2005, 03:15 PM
As others have said, it's best to wear a suit. Normally companies will let you know beforehand if they expect something other than a suit. Bay Area/San Diego area companies are less likely to require suits, and in those cases, it is not unfair to ask what their normal dress code policy is. If you're interviewing with a pharmaceutical company or in the northeast...wear a suit...don't even think of asking. When in doubt, wear a suit, your odds of getting rejected for a job for being underdressed are far greater than being rejected for overdressing.

-dustyn

Ulysses
10-27-2005, 08:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Real engineers would probably laugh you right out of the joint.

Now, if it's full-on retro 70s style, hmmmmm.....

ethan
10-27-2005, 09:38 PM
I had a job interview today, my first after 18 months of doing essentially nothing. (At least, nothing that'd go on my resume. I've done a fair amount of coding in that time, but just because it was work I found interesting.) I wore a dark blue dress shirt, dress slacks, and dress shoes, and that was fine. They loved me. The interview was at a smallish company in Southern California - 130 people or so, but that includes engineering, manufacturing and sales. The software department's around a tenth of that. Standard dress appears to be what I was wearing or slightly more casual. (Short sleeves were ok, but rare, everyone's shirt had buttons. No one outside of manufacturing was wearing jeans.)

If I'd shown up in a suit, I think they'd have looked at me funny. Inspired by this thread, I actually talked to the HR person for a bit about appropriate dress in an interview, and she basically said what's already been posted here. You can overdress and you can underdress - underdressing's probably worse, but neither's great.

jaydub
10-27-2005, 11:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Real engineers would probably laugh you right out of the joint.

Now, if it's full-on retro 70s style, hmmmmm.....

[/ QUOTE ]

Nahh, I think the bigger concern would be reminding them of the kids that picked on em in school. I assume by real engineer you mean socially inept nerd.

BoogerFace
10-28-2005, 09:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That is the first camel toe I have ever seen on on a man. Id def go with the above.

[/ QUOTE ]

This image frightens me.

Oh, I went with a suit and no tie. I was overdressed but it was no biggie.