PDA

View Full Version : 65s from button

AaronS
10-26-2005, 03:57 PM
BB is a somewhat loose/aggressive ~25/10. He has had a rough stretch of luck, taking a bad beat on the previous hand, and has been bitching out the table for a while.

Hero is on the button with 5 /images/graemlins/spade.gif6 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

Preflop:
Folds to hero who raises, SB folds, BB reraises, Hero calls

Flop (6 SB)
[2, 7, 9] rainbow (no spade)
BB bets, Hero ?

Under normal circumstances, this would be an easy fold. I only have 4 clean outs, and even if i do hit an 8, villain might have a redraw at a better straight with JJ or TT. HU against this opponent who may be tilting anyone think this could be a profitable call with the implied odds? Given that he could easily have 2 overcards, can we count the 5 and 6's collectively as 1 out? 2 outs?

crazygoose
10-26-2005, 04:08 PM
Villain is definitely raising relatively loose here from the sounds of it. Even so, overs are a very good bet to an att. steal. I would consider all of my outs here good but probably wouldn't raise unless I hit the gutshot. Keep villain bluffing. A case could be made for folding an A or K, but I'm not so sure in this situation. So call and fold the turn UI.

Nick C
10-26-2005, 04:18 PM
I'm not folding yet.

If I spike a pair on the turn, I'm not folding then either.

ErrantNight
10-26-2005, 04:20 PM
if you think there's a good chance villain only has overs you can give yourself a lot more than 1 or 2 outs, total, for them as a pair outs.

since villain is playing back at you and will be taking this to the turn, unless you think you can push him off overcards by entering into a pissing contest on the flop, i'd say this is an easy, easy peel, and a blank-ish turn (or one that gives you a few more outs, say, a 3 or 4) might be enough for you to make a play at this pot.

Piiop
10-26-2005, 04:33 PM
I would fold preflop and I'd call the flop.

[ QUOTE ]
I only have 4 clean outs

[/ QUOTE ]

5's and 6's will be good a lot. 7:1.

Borodog
10-26-2005, 04:34 PM
This is a poor spot to be stealing. Against a LAGgy BB who is likely to put in many bets with air, your 65s sucks. Against this kind of player you really want to be limiting your steal attempts to hands that have a clear equity edge over a random hand and unimproved showdown value. With another LAG in the SB as well, your requirements must be even higher. Reserve your suited connector steals for tight blinds, where your actual hand is just a backup to taking it down immediately.

This is an easy peel on the flop. BB may have just overs, and may check the turn. If you miss the turn and he bets again, just let him have the pot. The pot is small, and you want to let him aggro off his chips when you actually have something. If you improve to as little as a pair, I would just call down. If you make the straight, obviously raise.

10-26-2005, 04:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This is a poor spot to be stealing. Against a LAGgy BB who is likely to put in many bets with air, your 65s sucks. Against this kind of player you really want to be limiting your steal attempts to hands that have a clear equity edge over a random hand and unimproved showdown value.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really agree with this. I've been forcing myself lately to NOT raise this kind of hand against anyone but established tight players. Since suitedness matters very little in HU situations, think: would you raise with 65o?

AaronS
10-26-2005, 05:54 PM
I agree with you all that this is a poor spot to steal, definately something I will work on. I went back and reviewed the hand, and the flop did have 1 spade, making this call that much easier. In fact, I did call and the turn was 4 /images/graemlins/club.gif, giving me an open-ended straight. Villain bets, Hero calls or raises?

Borodog
10-26-2005, 06:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I agree with you all that this is a poor spot to steal, definately something I will work on. I went back and reviewed the hand, and the flop did have 1 spade, making this call that much easier. In fact, I did call and the turn was 4 /images/graemlins/club.gif, giving me an open-ended straight. Villain bets, Hero calls or raises?

[/ QUOTE ]

Is BB the type to give up on air bluffs on the big bet streets? Or the kind that 3-bets relatively weak holdings like a single pair? Against the former you might be worth a raise if you think you can take it down immediately. Even if he'll sometimes call the turn with Ace high it might be worth a raise, since you're likely to have all your pair outs. If he 3-bets the turn light, I would just call though.

10-26-2005, 07:15 PM
Fold preflop...why get sassy against a player you realize is tilting / could be playing any combination. I don't like the steal here.

You have no high-card value, if one of the blinds gets aggressive you have to fold, and worst of all you could get played like a fiddle if both you and the blinds hit a flop.

FOLD... look for better steal oppurtunities.