PDA

View Full Version : $430 hand #1

bones
10-26-2005, 02:18 PM
Villian has been pretty loose so far, but nothing too out of line.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t30 (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

MP3 (t1680)
CO (t950)
Button (t1060)
SB (t1073)
Hero (t960)
UTG (t930)
UTG+1 (t1300)
MP1 (t802)
MP2 (t1245)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#666666">7 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to t60</font>, Hero calls t30.

Flop: (t120) 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 4/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets t30</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t130</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to t230</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: t480

kyro
10-26-2005, 02:21 PM
Looks like a pocket pair. I play it the same.

downtown
10-26-2005, 02:27 PM
I don't mind just folding preflop, but the way you played it seems fine to me.

bigt439
10-26-2005, 03:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Newt_Buggs
10-26-2005, 03:24 PM
There's no way I'm folding pf.

I think that you're line is fine.

bones
10-26-2005, 03:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not even considering that I'm getting 3:1 to play a suited king in position HU, there's absolutely no way I'm folding to a min raise from the sb at a very aggressive table.

I might as well go get something to drink everytime it's my turn to post a blind from then til the end of the tourney, cause there is no way I won't be getting raised.

durron597
10-26-2005, 03:34 PM
Your line is fine.

A possible alternate line is to call and reevaluate on the turn. I know that most of the time an overcard will hit but that could be a good thing if he has a pocket pair.

Plus I think he could easily put you on a steal here, he could make that raise with a wide range (like any A, any 5) because he has outs if you call.

Anyone like call, raise turn?

bones
10-26-2005, 03:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Your line is fine.

A possible alternate line is to call and reevaluate on the turn. I know that most of the time an overcard will hit but that could be a good thing if he has a pocket pair.

Plus I think he could easily put you on a steal here, he could make that raise with a wide range (like any A, any 5) because he has outs if you call.

[/ QUOTE ]

I considered the flat call, and in retrospect, my raise made the hand a little more difficult to play.

Reasons for calling
-Keeps the pot small.
-Maintains my positional advantage. Since I can't call a reraise, raising negates my positional advantage on future streets.
-Hopefully pick up a scare card on the turn.

Reasons for raising
-Win the pot right there.
-I'm uncertain on how big he will make the pot later on. If I had a better read, this would be less important.
-I can probably get a cheaper showdown.

This was a pretty small hand, but I thought it was interesting.

Edit: I didn't see the "raise turn" at the end. I think that line will really swell the pot, as his turn bet is probably going to be a lot larger if he doesnt have the straight already.

bigt439
10-26-2005, 03:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Seems pretty wreckless without a read. There's just not a reason to do this.

durron597
10-26-2005, 03:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Seems pretty wreckless without a read. There's just not a reason to do this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course there is! This is a blind vs. blind battle. He could have a lot of stuff, and has no reason to respect a flop raise from you - in a buyin like this he could easily think you are putting him on a steal and raising him with any two you called preflop with, and thus if he has a hand like Q5s he could easily reraise you knowing you're in a tough spot even if you have top pair. On the other hand he could have AA and is trying to trap.

By waiting until the turn, if he has overs most of the time the turn does not hit him and if he plays back at you, you can be more sure he has you beat.

bigt439
10-28-2005, 01:54 AM
I know this is an old post, but I wanted to make a quick point. I think it's very dangerous to do the you know that he knows that you know game at any level. To an extent it's great, like he bet the flop but you know he could do that with anything so raise it. But everytime something happens you can't just say, but he might be bluffing because he knows that I could be! I wouldn't expect amazing hand reading skills from someone who has min raised twice in this hand anyways. But you can only go so far with this type of thought when you have no reads on your opponent. I mean sure if the guy is going apeshit with raise steals and stuff and you think you should make a stand then fine do it. But in this spot he's min raised preflop and then min 3-bet us. I think it's time to give him credit for a hand. Especially when 'folding when getting played back at' costs us half our stack. We've tested the waters and they were murky. Time to give up. Yeah we fold the best hand occassionally, but you can't be constantly afraid to do this. Some spots are better than others to make a stand with a marginal hand... like when you have a read.

pooh74
10-28-2005, 01:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ditto

jeffraider
10-28-2005, 02:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed!

curtains
10-28-2005, 06:07 AM
Very unpleasant...I'd call preflop against almost everyone. Postflop I don't know what I'd do, I'd probably have to be there, but your method of playing can't be so terrible.

MegaBet
10-28-2005, 12:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I call the flop here and see what the turn brings.