PDA

View Full Version : SNG Resources Question

10-26-2005, 01:10 PM
I started playing the 11's awhile ago and my bankroll now is at 300 dollars after putting in 150. I think I could have more but my bubble play is lackluster, and I find myself often questioning what hands I should push with and what hands I should muck. I posted about this about two weeks ago and people told me to get the SNGPT and play around with the ICM calculator and hand analysis to get a feel for what hands I should be pushing with. I looked over the SNGPT but after realizing it was $70 some dollars, I realized my poker bankroll can't afford it right now. That being said, is there any other tool out there that is more cost effient but does much of the same resources that SNGPT does? Not just the ICM calculator, but the other features as well. The FAQ gives a few suggestions, but how much do they cost and do they have the same features as the SNGPT. Thanks again in advance...

zambonidrivr
10-26-2005, 01:12 PM
just shove any 2, when your stack reaches the infliction point, and action has been folded to you. don't even look at your cards when action has been folded to you.... just push. make calls with prem hands only. in short, make them call your 72o, then suck out.

NH

10-26-2005, 01:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
my bankroll now is at 300 dollars after putting in 150.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
after realizing it was $70 some dollars, I realized my poker bankroll can't afford it right now.

[/ QUOTE ]

You went from 150 to 300--you can go from 230 back to 300, especially if you improve your play using SNGPT. It's okay to grow your bankroll slowly, in fact the desire to grow it quickly can be very detrimental. SNGPT will very easily pay for itself if you put some time into studying with it, and play a decent number of SNGs afterwards.

stupidsucker
10-26-2005, 01:18 PM
SNGPT is probably the best tool out there for you.

There are some free programs out there, but a lot of them require more experience before using them properly.

If your problem is learning when to push then I recommend downloading SnG PT and foooling around with the free trial version. (I think it has a free limited trial).

The $70 is well worth it. I think every serious and semi serious SnGer should own that program.

fnord_too
10-26-2005, 01:20 PM
Build one yourself. Somewhere there is a spreadsheet I made hosted with how often you need to win a hand for pushing to be profitable given the calling standards of your opponents, number of opponents left to act, and effective stack size. It may be linked somewhere in the FAQ, or not, I am not sure. If you cannot find it, you should be able to reproduce it yourself. Roll up your sleeves and give it a go, it will be a worthwile exercize on your part.

Oh, and pokerstove (http://www.pokerstove.com/) is a free tool that will show the equity of you hand against ranges of opponents hands. It is very nice and I consider it a must have.

Really, SNGPT is a very nice tool, but it is better to work through a lot of this on your own first. Once you are comfortable with how to attack these problems, then something that does most of the grunt work for you (like SNGPT) is great, but IMO it is much better for your game to get comfortable with the calculations.

One other thing that is good to calculate: Face up value of hands. That is, what hands, if they were face up with N opponents to act and a set effective stack size would it be profitable to open push with if your opponents acted perfectly given the knowledge of your hand.

10-26-2005, 01:20 PM
You went from 150 to 300--you can go from 230 back to 300, especially if you improve your play using SNGPT. It's okay to grow your bankroll slowly, in fact the desire to grow it quickly can be very detrimental. SNGPT will very easily pay for itself if you put some time into studying with it, and play a decent number of SNGs afterwards.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, so you feel giving up nearly 1/4th of my entire bankroll on this utility is worth it? Is SNGPT really that helpful would be my next question...

10-26-2005, 01:24 PM
Ok, if i was to get a tooll though without building one as you say, what is the difference in quality and features between pokerstove and SNGPT. Why is one free and the other $70?

10-26-2005, 01:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Is SNGPT really that helpful would be my next question...

[/ QUOTE ]

IF you put effort into using it as a learning tool, then definitely.

tigerite
10-26-2005, 01:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Ok, if i was to get a tooll though without building one as you say, what is the difference in quality and features between pokerstove and SNGPT. Why is one free and the other $70?

[/ QUOTE ]

They're not even in the same ballpark.

Jbrochu
10-26-2005, 02:05 PM
Learn to do the ICM calculations yourself. All the information you require to do this is linked in the FAQ assuming that you're fairly competent with a spreadsheet application like Excel.

Even once you can afford SNGPT, you will be better off for having done the calculations manually for a while, although you will love the ease of use and time savings of SNGPT.

10-26-2005, 02:42 PM
Hi.
Another newbee question: Where can I find this SNGPT and do you have a free trial with it?

//M

Nicholasp27
10-26-2005, 02:49 PM
www.sitngo-analyzer.com (http://www.sitngo-analyzer.com)

and yes, it's worth it

i also like to sometimes do calcs by hand to get a better feel for it, but sngpt will enhance ur game quicker, which will more than make up for the $70...if it gets u 1st in only 2 10/1 sngs that u woulda bubbled outta, then that's $100 right there!

if u get it today, u'll have used it to make ur bubble game much better within a week...if u try to do it urself, it'll prolly take u weeks/months before u get around to it and around to figuring out all the models and unintuitive scenarios, at which point u have wasted hundreds of ev by not having done it sooner

so get sngpt now and do it by hand later to get even better

10-26-2005, 05:08 PM
do you need to have poker tracker to use sngpt effectively or can you just practice different hands and benefit from it

Nick M
10-26-2005, 05:39 PM
to be honest with you, you don't need ICM calcs and all that crap to be successful. You need experience. As your instincts get better, they will tell you a lot more than an ICM or push calculator. If you still need one, poker stove is free. Check the FAQ for the link.

10-26-2005, 08:18 PM
Are you talking about using the ICM calculator on the webs? What is the spreadsheet for?