PDA

View Full Version : How far have you driven in one shot?

10-26-2005, 01:05 PM
I recently met up with a friend from college and we were reminiscing (as mid/late 20s do when we dream of the freedom of college again) about stupid college stuff. My friend interned out in San Diego the summer before his senior year and stopped in Vegas on the way back. Then, on a solo trip he left Vegas and drove straight through until Geneva, NY only to arrive 41 hours later. He only stopped for fuel, coffee and sugar. He said he didn't remember much of it now but can remember after passing through some mid-america state he thought he was driving down hill the rest of the way.

We figure there are very few people out there that have gone this long in one drive, but I think OOT would be a good place to start. Although, this thread (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=3778213&page=0&view=colla psed&sb=5&o=14&fpart=all&vc=1) was ironic to find today. The isolation bit is similar, car vs. apt.

Any other long hauls out there?

10-26-2005, 01:08 PM
your friend is an idiot for endangering his life, and the lives of everyone else on the road. Kudos.

Paxosmotic
10-26-2005, 01:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
your friend is an idiot for endangering his life, and the lives of everyone else on the road. Kudos.

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks, moral barometer!

Longest was an 11 hour drive to Florida, pretty easy stuff.

miajag81
10-26-2005, 01:11 PM
Nothing extremely impressive here. I drove from Winston-Salem, NC to College Park, MD alone, only stopping for gas/bathroom once, a couple years ago.

samjjones
10-26-2005, 01:11 PM
http://hometown.aol.com/viewfromtier6/Pix/CaptainChaos.jpg
HIM wins.

10-26-2005, 01:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I would agree, I said the same thing when we were talking about the story. My words were "You must have been dagerous out there." Yeah, it was stupid and he was 21 years old. You've never done anything in your life that endangered others/yourself that you thought you shouldn't? I regret tons of stuff, which is why they call it growing up. These things also make good stories and are good reminders that as you get older there are people out there that are doing this type of thing today.

I also never said, this guy loves to drive really tired all the time and risk everyones life. He's probably one of the few people I know that has never driven drunk, I bet even you have done that. Although, it was just around the corner...right?

HopeydaFish
10-26-2005, 01:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

In other news, water is wet, and the sky is blue.

pryor15
10-26-2005, 01:19 PM
i did 600 miles once without stopping for anything, but my best overall is 13 hours

10-26-2005, 01:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i did 600 miles once without stopping for anything, but my best overall is 13 hours

[/ QUOTE ]

Damn, 600 miles on one tank of gas is real good.

Nice avatar, I used to watch it years ago. Do they even have the show on anymore? It was so retarded, but I couldn't pull myself away.

10-26-2005, 01:22 PM
I've done lots of stupid stuff that should of killed at least one person I know, if not myself (I think the best example is super modified sleding: tie a snow sled to a car and ride behind it, I hold the world record at 55mph in a suburban neighborhood) However driving for 41 hours straight is just retarded, and no I have been driving my car while drunk.

HopeydaFish
10-26-2005, 01:23 PM
The longest I ever drove was about 17 hours from Halifax, Nova Scotia to Ottawa, Ontario. It shouldn't have taken that long but I decided to drive back by going through Maine, Vermont, NY, etc... There was construction the entire way and I ended up sitting in traffic every time I passed through a small town. By the time I got to Ottawa I was halucinating.

tolbiny
10-26-2005, 01:23 PM
I've done 18 hours straight, on my 21st birthday but without having gotten drunk the night before. Boone NC to Hawley Ma- it would have been shorter, but he last 2-3 hours i was stopping every 15 mins to piss.

samjjones
10-26-2005, 01:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I've done lots of stupid stuff that should of killed at least one person I know, if not myself (I think the best example is super modified sleding: tie a snow sled to a car and ride behind it

[/ QUOTE ]
We used to do that too. I never really thought about how dangerous it was. Then again, I also doubt we obtained the speeds you did.

2planka
10-26-2005, 01:28 PM
1000 miles between Worcester, MA and W. Lafayette, IN. The first time I did it was in late August (construction season) and it took 20 hours. I soon learned to leave around dinner time, drive all night, and arrive midmorning.

It was so much more tolerable solo. I drove one guy to Hartford once. Worst part of that was picking him up on the way back.

Justin A
10-26-2005, 01:28 PM
I played baseball with a guy from Idaho for two summers in a row. Both at the beginning and end of each summer he'd drive 27 hours straight from Boise to Waterloo or vice versa.

Shajen
10-26-2005, 01:29 PM
Atlanta GA to Farmington NM straight through...map quest says its 1600 or so miles. It lies. Shaved about 3 hours off their trip time by taking a few different roads.

Took me 25 hours. I was hopped up on cocaine, meth, and some whippets though, the whole trip.

<font color="white"> I'm kidding about the drugs. Well, not the whippets. </font>

Patrick del Poker Grande
10-26-2005, 01:33 PM
My dad and I did 29 straight. Oddly enough, it was also on my return trip from an internship in San Diego with a stop in Vegas. I drove to Vegas on my own, stayed for a couple days, and flew my dad in to make the drive back home to northern WI with me. He had recently been laid off and was looking for a job. We left on a tuesday afternoon and later that night, my mom called us on my cell to tell my dad that he had a job interview on that thursday. All I remember is we got to Denver at about 2am and decided we didn't want to get a hotel room just to sleep for like 4 hours and then leave again, so we stopped for caffeine and hit the road. It was 29 hours straight through from Vegas to my parents' house in WI. He ended up getting the job he interviewed for the next morning.

Los Feliz Slim
10-26-2005, 01:33 PM
I have driven to and from Boston to St. Louis straight through several times. I don't remember exactly, but I think it's 18-20 hours or so. I don't remember thinking it was at all dangerous, I was in college and caffeine and nicotine did the trick just fine.

I also drove straight from Washington, DC to Panama City, FL for spring break. I left around 9PM and drove all night, fueled by ephedrine. THAT I recall as being dangerous for sure.

Knowing that the above was absolutely my limit in the best of my days, I think what your friend did was definitely dangerous.

4_2_it
10-26-2005, 01:36 PM
A buddy and I drove a U-haul with a car trailer 26 straight hours from Florida to Ohio. Going through the mountain passes at 3AM was an adventure.

My longest solo is 11 hours.

AngryCola
10-26-2005, 01:39 PM
I drove alone for about 16 hours from Wichita to a town by Lansing, MI. When I drove back alone the next week, I was running on about 3 hours of sleep. Nothing too impressive, but it's not something I plan on doing again soon.

Patrick del Poker Grande
10-26-2005, 01:40 PM
Oh yeah, my longest solo is about 14 hours, with several 10-12 hour trips. These long drives don't really bother me and I suspect I could actually go a while longer than 14, provided I'm not unusually tired or something before I even leave. I'm also not afraid to either stop or ask someone else to drive if I'm not up to it part way through the trip, though.

DukeSucks
10-26-2005, 01:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I've done 18 hours straight, on my 21st birthday but without having gotten drunk the night before. Boone NC to Hawley Ma- it would have been shorter, but he last 2-3 hours i was stopping every 15 mins to piss.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think people in Boone get drunk every night /images/graemlins/smile.gif

My longest is Greenville NC to Birmingham, AL. Between 11-12 hours depending on number of bathroom breaks. I do that trip several times a year.

pryor15
10-26-2005, 01:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Nice avatar, I used to watch it years ago. Do they even have the show on anymore? It was so retarded, but I couldn't pull myself away.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, i think they're in the last season, but you can buy it on dvd, of course.

Miggo
10-26-2005, 01:42 PM
Moved my father-in-laws stuff in a 24' Uhaul with a 12' trailer on the back from Albuquerque, NM to north of Milwaukee, WI in 26 or so hours if I remember right. I was just thankful I got reimbursed for the gas. I remember driving through TX and OK in the middle of the night hearing about tornado warnings on the radio in a bunch of different counties, wondering if I was driving through any of them. White knucking it driving through Albuquerque wondering how wide the thing was, afraid to switch lanes, not knowing if the trailer cleared the car in the next lane etc. By the time I was going through Milwaukee, I'd put on the blinker, count to 5 and just start moving into the next lane. I think that'll be my longest.

Patrick del Poker Grande
10-26-2005, 01:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, i think they're in the last season, but you can buy it on dvd, of course.

[/ QUOTE ]
The Red Green show was awesome. I haven't seen it in a few years, though. It really went downhill once it got 'big', though, and you could tell they all of a sudden had a bigger budget.

10-26-2005, 01:57 PM
Dude, I thought this post was about golf. I rock at Tiger Woods '06.

wacki
10-26-2005, 02:03 PM
Start: Notre Dame (indiana)

stop: Woods Hole (Mass)

OrangeHeat
10-26-2005, 02:08 PM
Potsdam, NY to Tampa Fl. Two days later Tampa Fl to Potsdam, NY.

Orange

Amid Cent
10-26-2005, 02:18 PM
I refuse to drive more than 5 hours for any reason at all. However, since I live in Los Angeles, this gets me to Vegas, San Francisco and Mammoth Mountain. Works out pretty well if you ask me.

10-26-2005, 02:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I also drove straight from Washington, DC to Panama City, FL for spring break. I left around 9PM and drove all night, fueled by ephedrine. THAT I recall as being dangerous for sure.

[/ QUOTE ]

I did Geneva, NY to Panama City Beach for Spring Break one year, too. Although, I did it with three others and we made stops along the way down there. The way back we did it straight through in 18 hours. We did driving shifts though, the hardest part was not killing someone in the car with you after a week of hanging out and then being in a car 18 hours with them.

vulturesrow
10-26-2005, 02:23 PM
I drove from Whidbey Island, Washington to San Diego. Took me about 20-21 hours. I also did the return leg in one shot. However the return leg was after a week of survival training where I was food and sleep deprived. I got one night of sleep and headed back up. The hallucinations started about the time I crossed over the Washington border and I am frankly amazed that I lived through that return trip.

10-26-2005, 02:36 PM
St louis to vegas. about 1600 miles.
stopped somewhere in new mexico to catch a 2 hour nap.
Winter break of my senior year of college.
I really wanted to play some p*k*r.

WackityWhiz
10-26-2005, 02:43 PM
Couple buddies and I went to the US Open this past summer. Started in Des Moines, went down to Wichita to pick up a friend, and then over to North Carolina. Lots and lots of great memories from that trip.

canis582
10-26-2005, 02:54 PM
My dad, who was born in 1939, recently went from oklahoma to eastern PA in one shot. He flew to NM to buy a car, stopped one night in OK then said fug it and finished the trip the very next day. He must have liked the car.

mslif
10-26-2005, 02:58 PM
Start: Fort Lauderdale, FL
End: Alexandria, LA

sleep

Start: Alexandria, LA
End: Denver, CO

Both trips were miserable.

bogey
10-26-2005, 03:27 PM
Cleveland to Lake Tahoe. My friend and I switched off driving though, and we stopped to watch the Miami v. Ohio State national championship game at a bar.

10-26-2005, 03:31 PM
I once drove from Austin Texas to just outside Chicago Illinois non-stop. I finally pulled over and checked into a hotel to sleep, after dozing at the wheel and spinning out the car. Stupid days.

NutCrackerr
10-26-2005, 03:32 PM
Tucson to west-central Illinois, apporx. 1700 miles, 26 hours, 4 quick stops for gas. I will never do something that stupid again (I hope).

hfrog355
10-26-2005, 03:36 PM
Fort Worth to Phoenix.

It was about 16 hours, not torture, but I only stopped for gas. No food, no bathroom.

321Mike
10-26-2005, 03:44 PM
21 hours. Orlando, FL to Portland, ME. I intended to stop somewhere and sleep, but I just never felt like it. I was young and driving long distances was no big deal. Not anymore. Anything over 5 hours and I'm flying.

MonkeeMan
10-26-2005, 03:51 PM
My best in each direction:

Camden NJ to Parsboro, Nova Scotia.
Camden NJ to Miami.
Camden NJ to Atlantic City
Camden NJ to west of the Mississippi @ La Crosse, WI.

All were done in one shot, beer and pot, no stimulants.
AC was done without stopping at any traffic signals.

The good old days. But I've reformed (mostly).

10-26-2005, 03:52 PM
Orlando, Fl nonstop to Brooklyn, NY. Only stopped for food, gas and bathroom breaks. The strongest stimulant I had was coffee. This was before Red Bull was available.
And no I would not do it again.

Bulldog
10-26-2005, 03:58 PM
Plymouth IN to Lancaster PA (11 painful hours) solo leaving after a wedding reception (day began with an eightsome playing nine holes at 5:30 AM)

Clemson SC to Lancaster PA (10 ridiculous hours) as a passenger, one five-minute fuel/bathroom stop. From the morning after a Panthers' game back in time for a rec soccer game.

Bloomington IN to Lancaster PA (11 hours) solo with a few meal/gas stops. This was the trip in which I learned the beauty of audiobooks. They pass the time much faster than music.

Lancaster PA to Chapel Hill NC and back (8-9 hours) driving a 12-passenger van full of HS girls to and from basketball camp. Trip there was painfully loud. Return trip was much better--they were all too exhausted to be rowdy. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

I'm going to Bloomington this weekend, but now that I'm not a poor young man, I'm flying. I'll never do another 10-hour drive in my life.

AngryCola
10-26-2005, 04:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Everyone rocks at the console version. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

PokerNoob
10-26-2005, 04:38 PM
I've made the Atlanta - Miami run many a time. Did Atlanta - Houston once, all I can say is its longer than it looks. When I was a kid in 1972, my old man packed the family up and moved us from Philly to Miami. We had to "beat the moving van." Insurrection finally occured around Vero Beach. I think my sister made herself throw up so we could stop. The moving van got there two days later.

Cancer Merchant
10-26-2005, 04:46 PM
No kidding.

310, live, cut the corner on a 350 yd par 4 and had a shortish pitch to the green. Nowdays I'm happy if it gets over 250. Must hit gym.

ClassicBob
10-26-2005, 05:22 PM
Started in Dallas, TX

Ended in Pittsburgh, PA

DarkForceRising
10-26-2005, 05:23 PM
Grand Rapids, Mi to Atlanta and back. No sleep, 1600 miles and I started at 8pm after being up since 8am. 27 or 28 hrs round trip.

mason55
10-26-2005, 05:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I did Geneva, NY to Panama City Beach for Spring Break one year, too. Although, I did it with three others and we made stops along the way down there. The way back we did it straight through in 18 hours. We did driving shifts though, the hardest part was not killing someone in the car with you after a week of hanging out and then being in a car 18 hours with them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Leave Rochester NY thursday night at 10pm. Arrive in Miami FL friday night at 11pm. Sleep. Get up at noon, go to an all day rave. Go clubbing all night. Leave Miami FL 9am sunday morning. Get to Rochester 10am monday morning. Go to 11am class.

10-26-2005, 05:40 PM
29 hours, 30 minutes, connecticut to houston texas. pulled over in nyc because I didnt kow about the cell phone law, smelled smells in jersey that dont have a name, starting liking coffee about ten hours in, and drove through two hellish rainstorms till I got there.

good times.

d10
10-26-2005, 05:59 PM
My longest solo in hours was 20, from Birmingham, AL to MD passing through Deal's Gap, NC. I used to drive 750 miles from Ft Campbell to home all the time, and now I'll probably be driving 900 miles from Ft Rucker to home several times a year, but that's only about 12 hours. I don't use caffeine or any other kind of drugs on any of these trips.

SomethingClever
10-26-2005, 06:22 PM
I did LA to Portland in one day, about 17 hours, solo.

4 Red Bulls helped.

stabn
10-26-2005, 06:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]

4 Red Bulls helped.

[/ QUOTE ]

My record of portland to eugene sounds pretty pussy in this thread.

BreakfastBurrito
10-26-2005, 06:41 PM
Deadwood, SD to Reno, NV taking some messed up long route through montana and yellowstone and such. 1500 miles or so.

B Dids
10-26-2005, 06:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have no idea how this is the only golf joke in this thread.

My longest is from slightly north of SF to Seattle.

hobbsmann
10-26-2005, 07:04 PM
My buddy and I drove from Chicago to outside Mt Rushmore in one day while driving across the country (~900 miles). I think that day was something like 16 or 17 hours which apparently is nothing compared to some you crazy fucks.

SomethingClever
10-26-2005, 07:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

4 Red Bulls helped.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

That can't possibly be your record! It's like 70 minutes!

My commute was longer than that in LA!

stabn
10-26-2005, 07:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

4 Red Bulls helped.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That can't possibly be your record! It's like 70 minutes!

My commute was longer than that in LA!

[/ QUOTE ]

Well it was really from vancouver on a friday afternoon when they were doing construction on a large section of I5. It took like 4.5 hours to go what is normally ~2. Actual distance wise my record is redmond &gt; portland which is only 182 miles. I could easily beat both if i ever bothered to drive to spokane.

Randy_Refeld
10-26-2005, 07:20 PM
I drove from LA to Tampa once.

rohjoh
10-26-2005, 07:26 PM
My coworker is walking out the door right now from Irvine, CA and plans to drive to Williamsburg, Virginia. He plans to stop once to sleep.

I told him he is stupid, and to pay the $1800 to have his car shipped. Cheap bastard is saving like $500 to drive, over shipping his car and flying.

Browny
10-26-2005, 07:28 PM
Burlington, Vt.
to Sandpoint, ID.

2748 miles

42 hours solo. Just me and my coffee

I win!

BeerMoney
10-26-2005, 07:55 PM
01876 to 29631. Many times. 16- 20 hours. Like a champ.

TheWorstPlayer
10-26-2005, 07:56 PM
My friend and I drove from Eastern Utah to Boston in one go. Around 2600 miles. Took us about 1 full day and then another 15 hours in the next day or so.

TheBlueMonster
10-26-2005, 09:25 PM
Drove from Jackson, Wyoming to Pennsylvania stopping only for gas a few bathroom breaks.

10-26-2005, 11:07 PM
21 hours.

Hurricane Rita. Houston to Dallas evacuation.

Normal time to Dallas: 4 hours.

/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Before that, Houston to Huntsville, Alabama 13 hours on nothing but a 12-pack of Mountain Dew and some good tunes back when I was 18.

weevil
10-27-2005, 03:58 AM
I make a trip from Cali to Nebraska (&gt;1500 miles) four or five times a year, straight through each time there and back, anywhere from 21 to 24 hours one way. You guys are pansies. After the sixth hour, it's just a controlled nap, and nothing to write home about.

Books on tape rock too. I wish the big chain book stores carried more English classics though.

ChipWrecked
10-27-2005, 04:21 AM
Atlanta, GA to north Arkansas. Used to do this a couple times a year. No big deal, except I would do it after work through the night, and for a couple years my stay-awake was LSD.

Lights.... pretty..... stop in Mississippi to look at the stars.... what? oh yeah, time to drive....

phil_ivey_fan
10-27-2005, 09:14 AM
13 hours: FT Lauderdale to Atlanta (w/ the help of a 30mg Adderall XR)

I would never do it again. But I probably could have gone at least 3 more hours.

drewjustdrew
10-27-2005, 09:32 AM
Drove from Chicago to Vegas in the middle of winter. We thought we would be "smart" about it and take the southern route through texas, new mexico, and arizona to avoid all the snow. There was an ice storm from the texas/oklahoma border all the way to flagstaff. My driving buddy took my car off an embankment in texas. Fortunately, the car was fine and a texas dept of transportation truck came by shortly after and pulled us off the side of the hill we were stuck on. It took us 33 hours. In arizona, I was hallucinating and thought the reflectors on the side of the road where little people with backpacks. 33 hours doesn't seem like much, but we left after work, so we were awake for much longer.

On the way home, we said f' it and went through colorado, which is much more direct. It took 26 hours, even though it snowed all the way through the rockies.

pokerdirty
10-27-2005, 10:31 AM
8 feet.

10-27-2005, 10:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I make a trip from Cali to Nebraska (&gt;1500 miles) four or five times a year, straight through each time there and back, anywhere from 21 to 24 hours one way. You guys are pansies. After the sixth hour, it's just a controlled nap, and nothing to write home about.

Books on tape rock too. I wish the big chain book stores carried more English classics though.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like the controlled nap, I couldn't agree more. Long drives can be calming and recently I found the best thing to do is turn off your cell phone. Although, my girlfriend thought I died after leaving 3 messages and not hearing from me.

Never got into the books on tape and I've never heard a bad thing about them, I just can't bring myself to do it.

10-27-2005, 10:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have no idea how this is the only golf joke in this thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously, after I re-read the title had I not written the post I would have thought the same thing. Oh well. Maybe today will be the spinoff into the longball competition thread.

If I could actually hit my driver straight, I would have a better idea...maybe next season.

RunDownHouse
10-27-2005, 10:51 AM
A friend and I drove from Fallon, NV straight through to KC, KS. We were going to take it easy going from San Jose to KC, but his Bronco broke down at 1:30 AM Saturday in Fallon. Had to wait until Monday for shops to open and fix it since it needed to go on a lift. It absolutely sucked sleeping the rest of Friday night in the Bronco, then learning we would be spending the weekend in Fallon. Once we got on the road again, I realized how lucky we were, because just east of Fallon is a sign that says, "Eli - 330 miles." Not a whole lot of good places to break down between Fallon and Eli.

Anyways, losing the weekend put us behind so we had to drive straight through. I took the night shift, and started about 8pm on the western side of the Rockies. My friend took over around 9am in Kansas, and I was so hopped up on No Doz and sunflower seeds that I couldn't get to sleep until that afternoon.

Dr. Strangelove
10-27-2005, 01:02 PM
White Salmon WA to Las Vegas, ~1100 miles 18-20 hours, then back three days later.