PDA

View Full Version : New Laptop NO virus protect. Ok to DL AVG online?

grinin
10-26-2005, 11:47 AM
After ordering my new laptop without any sort of virus protection, I saw a thread that said unprotected computers often pick up as many as 3-4 virus/spyware bugs within seconds of connecting to the internet. I had initially planned on going directly to the AVG site and download their free antivirus software (same stuff I have been using on my desktop for the last year, and am happy with), then follow that up with MS antispyware, adaware and spybot S&D. But that thread has me a little concerned. Should I be?

It has Microsoft Windows XP Home Service Pack 2 preinstalled which I understand has Windows firewall (also using on my desktop). Is this enough to protect me? I have a cable modem (have not purchased the router yet). Should I download and install these in some other order?

KenProspero
10-26-2005, 11:58 AM
Your new laptop didn't even have 90 day trial virus protect?

True story -- when I upgraded my desk-top, the new desk top had Norton, but was about 3 months out of date, needing the update.

I picked up a worm within 10 seconds of getting onto the net. With help from Norton's tech support, I was able to identify it and clean it out in about an hour and a half.

Anyway, I don't know AVG, but personally, I wouldn't go onto the net for the initial download without virus protection. Recognizing that even 'out of the box' protection may not be enough.

10-26-2005, 01:04 PM
The Windows firewall is better than nothing, but you should really run something else. Kerio, Zone, and Sygate all offer free firewalls.

Maybe someone else can shed some light on what is best to use.

A router will offer additional protection.

10-26-2005, 01:47 PM
I wouldn't even turn your computer on. Just leave it in the closet...and don't open the box either.

seriously, a router will offer some protection, as will zone alarm, if a friend can put it on CD for you. ditto for avg. why don't you download these setup files to your current computer, and transfer them via USb drive/CD to your new laptop?

C-Dog
10-28-2005, 12:42 AM
Just don't connect your Laptop directly to the internet. If you have a router hooked into your Cable/DSL modem and your other PCs are connected behind that, than you have nothing to worry aboout. GO download you Software. And you shouldnt need another Firewall besides the Windows one either in this setup. People are so paranoid...

C-Dog

MyMindIsGoing
10-28-2005, 03:39 AM
"Just don't connect your Laptop directly to the internet"

"People are so paranoid"

LOL

icepick
10-28-2005, 03:02 PM
An unpatched, stock Window box will be worm infected in under 10 minutes on the net today.

So, turn your firewall on before you connect.

C-Dog
10-29-2005, 03:29 PM
To be more accurate, an unpatched, non firewalled Windows box, will be infected in less than 10 minutes when connected directly to the internet, with a fully live and routable IP.
C-Dog

MyMindIsGoing
10-29-2005, 03:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
An unpatched, stock Window box will be worm infected in under 10 minutes on the net today.

So, turn your firewall on before you connect.

[/ QUOTE ]

"It has Microsoft Windows XP Home Service Pack 2 preinstalled"

It is on by default.