PDA

View Full Version : Running poker software off USB keys...

AZK
10-26-2005, 11:29 AM
Is it possible to install all my poker programs on a USB key, take it wherever I go and just play off the key?

Voltron87
10-26-2005, 11:46 AM
yes, it works. i have done it with the party skins. it even writes hhs to the usb key, so you can just copy them and update to your main hard drive's pt.

i could not get pokertracker or any other heads up display to work though, i think this would be pretty hard.

AZK
10-26-2005, 11:48 AM
OK, thanks, so programs don't have to be in the registry to run? My dad was trying to explain this to me but I was kind of confused. He said most programs when installed, write in the registry, so it'd be possible on the initial computer I install them on, but on subsequent computers they probably wouldn't run? Also he said that I might experience some lag in the computer accessing the USB key...does anyone do this regularly, good or bad experience?

MyMindIsGoing
10-26-2005, 11:49 AM
Your dad seems to know what he is talking about, listen to him.

Voltron87
10-26-2005, 12:18 PM
ive only done it a couple times, but when i did i could 4 table fine.

Evan
10-29-2005, 05:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
OK, thanks, so programs don't have to be in the registry to run? My dad was trying to explain this to me but I was kind of confused. He said most programs when installed, write in the registry, so it'd be possible on the initial computer I install them on, but on subsequent computers they probably wouldn't run? Also he said that I might experience some lag in the computer accessing the USB key...does anyone do this regularly, good or bad experience?

[/ QUOTE ]
So it won't work unless it's installed on the actual computer? What if I just want to make sure I always have my notes and table images, would that work from the usb key as long as the software was installed on the computer as well?

tpir90036
10-29-2005, 05:31 PM
Not exactly. Some programs store all of their settings in the registry (Microsoft prefers that people write programs that way)... but it's not mandatory. I think the only important registry information that Party, etc. store is the uninstall information.

Only way to know is to try it out. You could open up your registry and see what the poker sites have added but I don't think there is much of value in there.

Good luck, I am going to try this too... I never thought of it for some reason.

-joey

Nepa
10-29-2005, 08:01 PM
does this work with pokerstars?

Bradyams
10-29-2005, 08:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
does this work with pokerstars?

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to do it with Pokerstars, and it worked fine.

AZK
11-06-2005, 09:23 PM
is it "bad" to leave a USB key in a computer that is on for a long period of time? Does it matter?

gr8vertical
11-07-2005, 12:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
is it "bad" to leave a USB key in a computer that is on for a long period of time? Does it matter?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope, you will be fine. I don't know what you might think get hurt... No moving parts, nothing to wear out /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Good ole technology