PDA

View Full Version : NYC Foodies - Midtown Lunch HELP!

jnalpak
10-26-2005, 08:54 AM
I used to work way downtown and on 50/3rd and there were soooo many places to eat. I have now been at my new digs for a little over a year and i realize i havent ventured past a block in 396 days.

The reason for this is the office picks up lunch for the firm but there are 4 terrible choices:

1)Bagel & Bean (typical craptasitc deli)
2)China Fun (switched from tea den and just as bad, nothing like the one on 64/1)
3)Hale & Hearty (Chicken Mole Poblano!!!!)
4)Italian (dont know the name b/c its crap)

I'm over on 56 and 7th (ave of america) and as you can tell from the 4 choices im getting sick of soup and sandwich combo's. i think it's time i spend some of my own money for lunch.

Please send me into food heaven for lunch.

I'm not looking for $$$, im looking for something better then those sh$tty "make your own salad" and chinese food joints.

I think i'm leaning towards cuban (chix rice/bean combo) but im up for discussion until 11:30am

!PLEASE HELP A FELLOW FOODIE U R MY ONLY HOPE!

istewart
10-26-2005, 08:58 AM
Wolf's Delicatessen. Very good IMO.

NJchick
10-26-2005, 09:14 AM
I work on 7th and 28th St. I've used these sites when I get bored.

http://www.delivery.com/

http://menupages.com/

sfer
10-26-2005, 09:17 AM
Grand Sichuan

buffett
10-26-2005, 09:25 AM
Cancun (on west side of 8th just north of 55th) has--with the exception of their tamales, which are quite bland and dry--good Tex-Mex. Under $10 for a pretty good sit-down lunch with free chips and salsa.
-web

jnalpak
10-26-2005, 09:27 AM
A Corned beef & Pastrami combo would put me out for the winter...Am i the only one who thinks its ok to pay $15.00 for one of these sandwhiches?

BUT, if i worked on houston i would be at Katz's easily. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

BottlesOf
10-26-2005, 09:28 AM
Brasserie 8 1/2. Not gonna work for every day though unless you can routinely take longer lunches.

It's on 57th bet. 5th and 6th.
http://www.restaurantassociates.com/

sfer
10-26-2005, 09:32 AM
I also like Soba Nippon somewhere around there. B. Frites unfortunately closed about a year ago. There are a million places on 9th Ave that are worthwhile with just a little exploring.

jnalpak
10-26-2005, 09:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I also like Soba Nippon somewhere around there. B. Frites unfortunately closed about a year ago. There are a million places on 9th Ave that are worthwhile with just a little exploring.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tell me more about Soba Nippon?

also, im lazy when its lunch so i need to be excited about traversing the dangerous streets of 9th ave

sfer
10-26-2005, 09:43 AM
It's next to 21 so on the same block as the CBS building and Deutsche Bank. I can never remember the exact address. They have excellent soba noodles. The proprietor bought a buckwheat farm in Canada just for the noodles. The cold ones are best, which makes it a regular place for me in the summer. If you go during lunch you'll see that it's full of middle-aged Japanese males. A Japanese client took me there years ago.

nyc999
10-26-2005, 09:49 AM
Burger Joint - a little shack inside the swanky Le Parker Meridian (on 57th between 6 & 7). Always crowded, but some of the best burgers in the city

(Insert name) Burritos - can't remember the name, but it's on 9th between 57th and 58th. Really good burritos and other Mexican.

Whole Foods - inside Time Warner Center...you can get really great meals, but a little pricey

Philly Slims - on 9th ave between 52 and 53, if you're into Philly Cheese Steaks.

If your not, go to Island Burger & Shakes on 9th and 51st

Redeye Grill - 7th and 56th. Excellent seafood, but it's more of a sit down restaurant.

Faces & Names - 55th between 6th and 7th. Bar food, but good bar food. The same can be said for Matt's Grill on 8th between 55th and 56th.

Can you tell I work in the area?

MaxPower
10-26-2005, 10:08 AM
The Soup Nazi, if he is open.

sfer
10-26-2005, 10:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe he's closed and expanding. One is opening near me.

MaxPower
10-26-2005, 10:10 AM
I'm really confused by your post. Since when is 50th and 3rd Downtown and since when is 7th Avenue the Avenue of the Americas?

MaxPower
10-26-2005, 10:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Excellent. That will be a new lunch spot for me.

jnalpak
10-26-2005, 10:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Opening on or near Nov 1.

I read in the post its going to be in times square, SFER can you confirm location?

jnalpak
10-26-2005, 10:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm really confused by your post. Since when is 50th and 3rd Downtown and since when is 7th Avenue the Avenue of the Americas?

[/ QUOTE ]

It says, "I used to work way downtown and on 50/3rd and there were soooo many places to eat."

So in translation:
I used to work down on broad street AND I used to work on 50th and 3rd and there were many fantastic places to eat.

ave of america does not equal 7th it was a typo

i hope you are no longer confused

arod15
10-26-2005, 10:26 AM
Go to 50th and 6th a ton of selctions there from Buffets to chinese to wendy's everything,,

sfer
10-26-2005, 10:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Opening on or near Nov 1.

I read in the post its going to be in times square, SFER can you confirm location?

[/ QUOTE ]

The one I'm talking about is on 5th and 42nd.

10-26-2005, 10:44 AM
Go over to Hells Kitchen.

samjjones
10-26-2005, 10:46 AM
Anybody have suggestions for over by 60th and 3rd?

sfer
10-26-2005, 10:58 AM
PJ Clarke's.

IndieMatty
10-26-2005, 10:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Anybody have suggestions for over by 60th and 3rd?

[/ QUOTE ]

Find a better area to eat lunch in.

MaxPower
10-26-2005, 11:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
PJ Clarke's.

[/ QUOTE ]

I went to PJ Clarke's in Chicago and I had this thing called Apple Pie in a bag. Supposedly this is made by some little old lady in Chicago and it is an Apple Pie baked and served in paper bag.

I doubt the story is true, but it could be the best dessert I ever had.

sfer
10-26-2005, 11:12 AM
I think the one on the East Side is unaffiliated with the Chicago one. It's, like, old and they make good burgers.

handsome
10-26-2005, 11:20 AM
I used to work on 57th & Broadway. Across from the Duane Reade (northeast corner of 57th & Broadway) that place makes a delicious panini. The supermarket next to it also makes a mean burger.

nyc999
10-26-2005, 11:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I used to work on 57th & Broadway. Across from the Duane Reade (northeast corner of 57th & Broadway) that place makes a delicious panini. The supermarket next to it also makes a mean burger.

[/ QUOTE ]

PAX and Associated Supermarket

jnalpak
10-26-2005, 11:58 AM
The group on the whole couldnt choose a new spot so we settled for Burger Shack

I will be adding the black n white milkshake to the diet though...hows my play?

samjjones
10-26-2005, 12:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
PJ Clarke's.

[/ QUOTE ]
Really don't have the time or coin to eat $15 lunches everyday.

Ulysses
10-26-2005, 01:12 PM
What were the fantastic lunch places way downtown?

jnalpak
10-26-2005, 01:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What were the fantastic lunch places way downtown?

[/ QUOTE ]

1) no longer there but used to be in a "bank" on broad street"
2) cuban joint called rossies (i am way off on the name)
3) Another a block up from the bull on the right side, starts with a Z and has these GREAT panini sandwhiches. Panini has been played out as a food of choice but they were the OG
4) Water and broad there are three places that come to memory
indian buffet
an italian pasta make your own place next to burritoville
burritoville
some italian sandwhcih shop (legit italian sandwhiches)
5)across from 85 broad st, not on the corner but down the block past the garage there is this little pizza place that has the best breakfast egg sandwhich for CHEAP
6)pizza place on the corner of water/broad
7)subway with employees who ring up the wrong order and its like 4 bucks cheaper then what you ordered (after telling them to change it 10x it get old and you just go with the flow)
8) RIP the best and one of the origianl krispy kremes which was in one of the towers

If i remember more ill throw em up there but i dont think i was much of a help as its been a while since i was down there.