PDA

View Full Version : Questioning my [expensive] education

10-26-2005, 04:17 AM
Recently I have become aware of a website at which you can buy tickets to frieghter crusies. Basically you rent a state room on board a huge container ship following the ship from port to port around the world. A round the world trip which takes 125 days costs about 10k. This means I could sail around the world pretty much non stop for about a decade, or earn an undergraduate degree.

After three semesters I'm thinking it might of been a better plan to see the world instead of take all these ridiculous Gen Ed required classes.

So I ask OOT, how many would take the degree and how many take a decade of living on the high seas? I'm sure there are alot of posters here who will take each side.

FYI the intinerary of the trip includes UK, Italy, Germany, Holland, Egypt, India, Indonesia, Singapore, and China. Pretty amazing list of places to call home for the next ten years.

Freighter Cruise (http://www.freighter-cruises.com/)

captZEEbo1
10-26-2005, 04:29 AM
why would you go for a full decade and not just for a little amount of time?

rory
10-26-2005, 04:39 AM
because you have to live for about 50 more years not 10.

freshmen classes are always stupid and lame. give it some more time.

10-26-2005, 06:32 AM
Go for it. Although this specifically may not be the best way to go about seeing the world, when you are finished with your journey (ten years? really?) you will have a much better idea of what you want to get out of your life and thus will make better choices when and if you do decide to get your degree.

Paluka
10-26-2005, 07:37 AM
I don't know what you are studying, but it would have been hard for me to learn quantum thermodynamics on a freighter. On the other hand, I no longer remember anything from my quantum thermodynamics class.

drewjustdrew
10-26-2005, 08:50 AM
this sounds like a crappy cruise for only $10K.

10-26-2005, 08:54 AM
what happens when you fall for some asian girl and dont want to move to the next country just yet?

Arnfinn Madsen
10-26-2005, 08:57 AM
If you don't know what to do with your life, the time on the ship will give you a lot of thinking time without distraction, so it can be good. However, check out the details carefully, is the port close to the city, is the ship going to do the loading/ unloading so quickly that you will not be able to see the city etc.

4_2_it
10-26-2005, 09:26 AM
Spending a lot of time at sea without hot chicks doesn't sound good to me. This is a freighter, not the Love Boat. I assume there will not be a lot (if any) other tourists with you. Of course the make up of the crew may provide some unintentional comedy. Will there be Internet access while you are at sea for 10 straight days?

All in all, I give idea a 1.5 on Diebitter's movie scale /images/graemlins/smile.gif

ChipWrecked
10-26-2005, 09:46 AM
You might want to check out the Michael Palin series 'Around the World in 80 Days' or something close. He crosses the Pacific on board a container ship. Looked like kind of a boring bummer to me.