PDA

View Full Version : TD A-5 - standard, or weak sauce?

Luv2DriveTT
10-26-2005, 01:52 AM
Yeah I'm slumming it in A-5 lately, I tend to wind down nightly with 1/2 hour of TD before I got to bed..... comments on 2nd round please.

Side note - what do you think the standard TD player of my caliber (meaning good enough, I have to be modest sometimes) needs in a TD roll to take a stab at the 10/20 games? They seem squishy soft...

Euri10's TD converter (http://membres.lycos.fr/euri10/td%20converter.html)

Hand number: 9174140-1643
Level: $2/$4
Players:
SB($76) seat 0
BB($116) seat 1
Hero($238) seat 2
MP($54) seat 3
CO($170) seat 4
Button($49) seat 5

Button at seat 5

SB posts. Hero posts.

Hand: 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif2/images/graemlins/heart.gif6/images/graemlins/heart.gifA/images/graemlins/club.gif4/images/graemlins/club.gif

Round 1(0.75BB)

MP folds. CO calls. Button calls. SB raises. Hero re-raises. CO calls. Button calls. SB re-raises. Hero calls. CO calls. Button calls. SB takes 1. Hero takes 1. CO takes 3. Button takes 3.

Hand: 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif2/images/graemlins/heart.gifA/images/graemlins/club.gif4/images/graemlins/club.gif3/images/graemlins/spade.gif

Round 2(7.25BB)

SB bets. Hero calls. CO calls. Button calls. SB takes 1. Hero stands pat. CO takes 2. Button takes 1.

Hand: 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif2/images/graemlins/heart.gifA/images/graemlins/club.gif4/images/graemlins/club.gif3/images/graemlins/spade.gif

Round 3(9.25BB)

SB checks. Hero bets. CO
folds. Button calls. SB calls. SB takes 1. Hero stands pat. Button
takes 1.

Round 4(12.25BB)

SB checks. Hero bets. Button folds. SB folds.

TT /images/graemlins/heart.gif Euri10 - do you see why?

timprov
10-26-2005, 02:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Side note - what do you think the standard TD player of my caliber (meaning good enough, I have to be modest sometimes) needs in a TD roll to take a stab at the 10/20 games? They seem squishy soft...

[/ QUOTE ]

If you've fixed the overtight problem and have $1k you could lose in it, take the shot. At least from time to time they are really soft.

Luv2DriveTT
10-26-2005, 02:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you've fixed the overtight problem and have $1k you could lose in it, take the shot. At least from time to time they are really soft.

[/ QUOTE ]

Playing short games mostly now, and my ability to fold hands early has really pumped up my roll. I started at .50/1 with a buck, I now have nearly 1000 and change BB for that game. I think I'd want a bit more than a dime however (I can afford to lose it, I'm just trying to be practical). Perhaps 1.5K?

TT /images/graemlins/club.gif

timprov
10-26-2005, 02:18 AM
Once you've gotten through $1k you should be able to tell if you can beat the game or not.

What game have you been in on UB recently?

Luv2DriveTT
10-26-2005, 02:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Once you've gotten through $1k you should be able to tell if you can beat the game or not.

What game have you been in on UB recently?

[/ QUOTE ]

I play anything up to 4/8 because thats the biggest game my TD roll can afford so far (the 5/10 game shave never run while I am around). I have also been playing quite a lot of A-5 most recently, I didn't realize how bad the opponents were at these levels (compared to the 2-7 players at the same levels) until recently.

euri10
10-26-2005, 02:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
/images/graemlins/blush.gif /images/graemlins/blush.gif /images/graemlins/blush.gif
is there a problem with the showdown ? the lady doesn't want to reveal her hand ?
/images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif

somapopper
10-26-2005, 02:31 AM
I assume you're not capping in round 2 because you're going for the overcalls and trying to keep the CO and the button who are likely drawing dead in the hand. Although you occasionally might get an extra bet here by raising, the likelyhood that either the CO or the button will continue for 2 bets seems low after they both drew 3 (although they both drew 3 in a capped pot, so it's a little harder to predict what's on their minds). Although standing pat after calling looks fishy, the moral of the story is that this play will occasionally net you 1 to 2 more big bets, and that's a good moral.

randomstumbl
10-26-2005, 02:56 AM
Going for overcalls with the near nuts is a pet peeve of mine. It's probably a better move than I give it credit for, but it does have some unintended consequences.

It gives out a ton of information to opponents that are paying attention. First off, they should realize you have a very good hand right now. On future hands, they should know that you DON'T have as good of a hand when you raise in this spot. So, I hate this play against even semi-okay opponents.

Oh, and I took my first shot at 10/20 with $600 I didn't need. I lost that and then took another shot when I had an extra $500 and didn't look back.

Luv2DriveTT
10-26-2005, 08:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
/images/graemlins/blush.gif /images/graemlins/blush.gif /images/graemlins/blush.gif
is there a problem with the showdown ? the lady doesn't want to reveal her hand ?
/images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

No.... I guess you didn't see why then. I /images/graemlins/heart.gif you for your amazing converter!

TT

Luv2DriveTT
10-26-2005, 08:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Going for overcalls with the near nuts is a pet peeve of mine. It's probably a better move than I give it credit for, but it does have some unintended consequences.

It gives out a ton of information to opponents that are paying attention. First off, they should realize you have a very good hand right now. On future hands, they should know that you DON'T have as good of a hand when you raise in this spot. So, I hate this play against even semi-okay opponents.

Oh, and I took my first shot at 10/20 with $600 I didn't need. I lost that and then took another shot when I had an extra $500 and didn't look back.

[/ QUOTE ]

RS: Thats why I posted this hand, my two opponents were obviously so week that I couldn't tell if I made an error in announcing the strength of my hand. But then again raising would have done the same after taking one card on the first draw.

Shot: Interesting... This is something I would never do at Hold'em, but at TD I'm willing to give it a go. Are you still playing 10/20? I haven't seen you, I've been watching that limit a lot recently.

randomstumbl
10-26-2005, 11:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Shot: Interesting... This is something I would never do at Hold'em, but at TD I'm willing to give it a go. Are you still playing 10/20? I haven't seen you, I've been watching that limit a lot recently.

[/ QUOTE ]

I still play quite a bit, but had to change my username when I switched to Pokershare.

I'm not very risk averse at all though. I'm fine with taking shots at the bigger game and then going back down a level to work my bankroll back up if things go wrong.

fnord_too
10-26-2005, 01:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I still play quite a bit, but had to change my username when I switched to Pokershare.

I'm not very risk averse at all though. I'm fine with taking shots at the bigger game and then going back down a level to work my bankroll back up if things go wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

I blew my non rakeback roll taking a shot at the 30/60. Amazingly good game with a little bad variance (my UB roll was only 2500 at the time, so it doesn't take much of a swing to wipe out 42BB). Surprisingly I have zero regrets. Working back up on my rb account, mainly via nl and possibly some 7/8b for a change of pace. (Alas, working up there is a low priority, damn mortgage!)

Kumubou
10-26-2005, 02:03 PM
I think this play only really works when your opponents have a mild range of FTQ. If they are full-on tards, you may as well raise because they'll call anyway. If they are actual thinking, observant players you may as well have laid your hand on the table. Slowplaying pat hands in TDL just strikes me as a really bad idea, as when you do something weird (having the image of a solid player) like call three cold and then stand pat, you are openly announcing "please keep betting my hand for me kthx." I think calling second-to-act in the second round with multiple players to act and then staying pat is sufficently weird -- it would cause me to raise an eyebrow, and I am not terribly good. Maybe this opens up some real bizarre meta-game play, but that seems like way too much FPS, especially at the lower limits.

Raising and standing pat represents a wider range of hands, obviously. You could have a monster that just wants money in the pot, or you may have a rough made hand that is looking to boot people out to increase your odds of winning the pot. You would only be going for overcalls when you want people to stay in the pot because they are drawing extremely thin, if not dead (or in an instance where you do not think the overcallers have you beat but you do not want to reopen the pot for the bettor to re-raise, but that is extremely specific).

-K

dibbs
10-26-2005, 04:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I have also been playing quite a lot of A-5 most recently, I didn't realize how bad the opponents were at these levels (compared to the 2-7 players at the same levels) until recently.

[/ QUOTE ]

The don't run as often it seems but for whatever reason it seems that most A5 players are much, much worse than 72 for some reason, I think it might have to do with they've played TD 2-7 so they play sky high rough.

Chris Daddy Cool
10-26-2005, 06:16 PM
sorry but i'm raising 2nd draw here every time.

i couldn't care less about overcalls in a pot this big with idiots who will probably call anyways with poopoo.

also the 10/20 games are ezmoney.