PDA

View Full Version : Baseball switch question - does this EVER happen?

Ulysses
10-25-2005, 11:05 PM
OK, first off, how does the order go? Does the batter have to switch first or does the pitcher have to swtich first? Or either way?

Does it ever go change-change-change? Like, a new lefty come in, so a pinch-hitter replaces the batter, then a righty comes in.

Or, a pinch-hitter comes in, the pitcher switches, then a different pinch-hitter comes in.

Anyway, just wondering if is is allowed, and if so, if teams ever do two switches in a row where the first switched guy doesn't even play.

Jack of Arcades
10-25-2005, 11:16 PM
A pitcher has to pitch to a batter, so it can't go pitcher-batter-pitcher switch.

Sooga
10-25-2005, 11:33 PM
I was actually thinking about something slightly different last night... if there were such a thing as a switch-pitcher, up against a switch-hitter, what would happen? I think I heard somewhere that the hitter has to decide first, but I'm not sure what the official rule is.

mikech
10-25-2005, 11:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
OK, first off, how does the order go? Does the batter have to switch first or does the pitcher have to swtich first? Or either way?

[/ QUOTE ]
the batter has to be announced first. i've often seen a manager wait until the pinch-hitter is announced, and THEN go out and replace his pitcher.

[ QUOTE ]
Does it ever go change-change-change? Like, a new lefty come in, so a pinch-hitter replaces the batter, then a righty comes in.

[/ QUOTE ]
i think JoA is right on this one, the pitcher has to face a batter, so a sequence of reliever/pinch-hitter/new reliever can't happen.

[ QUOTE ]
Or, a pinch-hitter comes in, the pitcher switches, then a different pinch-hitter comes in.

[/ QUOTE ]
yes, i've seen this. this is why the pitcher's manager will wait for the new batter to be announced, so if the opposing manager still wants a favorable lefty-righty matchup, he'll have to burn a pinch-hitter.

[ QUOTE ]
Anyway, just wondering if is is allowed, and if so, if teams ever do two switches in a row where the first switched guy doesn't even play.

[/ QUOTE ]
burning a pinch-hitter is allowed, and although it's rare, i've seen it happen.

10-25-2005, 11:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I was actually thinking about something slightly different last night... if there were such a thing as a switch-pitcher, up against a switch-hitter, what would happen? I think I heard somewhere that the hitter has to decide first, but I'm not sure what the official rule is.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of the course the batter has to decide first, the pitcher cant do anything until the batter is in the box.

Ulysses
10-26-2005, 12:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
A pitcher has to pitch to a batter, so it can't go pitcher-batter-pitcher switch.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does he have to pitch more than one pitch?

Jack of Arcades
10-26-2005, 12:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. He has to pitch until the at-bat is completed.

Sooga
10-26-2005, 12:38 AM
yea but what's to stop the hitter from switching over in that at bat? that's legal isn't it?

WLVRYN
10-26-2005, 12:57 AM
You cant switch once you have two strikes.

Ulysses
10-26-2005, 01:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. He has to pitch until the at-bat is completed.

[/ QUOTE ]

What if he gets injured throwing a pitch? Batter get a base?

andyfox
10-26-2005, 01:50 AM
I remember reading about a minor league pitcher who could pitch with either hand, and would switch, while pitching in the minor leagues, to pitch left-handed to lefties and right-handed to righties. I thought it was Paul Richards, who became a reserve catcher in the majors (as well as a manger and general managers) but I might be wrong about that.

J.R.
10-26-2005, 02:02 AM
Rule 3.05
(a) The pitcher named in the batting order handed the umpire in chief, as provided in Rules 4.01 (a) and 4.01 (b), shall pitch to the first batter or any substitute batter until such batter is put out or reaches first base, unless the pitcher sustains injury or illness which, in the judgment of the umpire in chief, incapacitates him from pitching.

(b) If the pitcher is replaced, the substitute pitcher shall pitch to the batter then at bat, or any substitute batter, until such batter is put out or reaches first base, or until the offensive team is put out, unless the substitute pitcher sustains injury or illness which, in the umpire in chief's judgment, incapacitates him for further play as a pitcher.

(c) If an improper substitution is made for the pitcher, the umpire shall direct the proper pitcher to return to the game until the provisions of this rule are fulfilled. If the improper pitcher is permitted to pitch, any play that results is legal. The improper pitcher becomes the proper pitcher as soon as he makes his first pitch to the batter, or as soon as any runner is put out. If a manager attempts to remove a pitcher in violation of Rule 3.05 (c) the umpire shall notify the manager of the offending club that it cannot be done. If, by chance, the umpire in chief has, through oversight, announced the incoming improper pitcher, he should still correct the situation before the improper pitcher pitches. Once the improper pitcher delivers a pitch he becomes the proper pitcher.

Ulysses
10-26-2005, 02:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
unless the pitcher sustains injury or illness which...

[/ QUOTE ]

AAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHH, MY HAMSTRING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

antidan444
10-26-2005, 02:53 AM
I believe the rule about a pitcher who can pitch with either hand is, he is considered two pitchers in essense, and that switching from one arm to the other is considered a pitching change, and thus the pitcher cannot switch back to his original arm again.

Benholio
10-26-2005, 03:32 AM
In 1995, a pitcher for the Expos pitched righty-lefty-lefty-righty to a series of four batters. The rules just seem to be that you must indicate which hand you are going to use for each batter, and you can't switch until the next batter.

Article @ mlb.com (http://www.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/news/mlb_news_story.jsp?article_id=mlb_20000303_holtzma n_cols&team_id=mlb)

andyfox
10-26-2005, 11:54 AM
Thanks. It was indeed Paul Richards who pitched ambidextrously. Interesting that he became a catcher in the majors.

antidan444
10-26-2005, 12:14 PM
Thanks for the link and I apologize for my mistake.

jedi
10-26-2005, 05:08 PM
"Homer, you're going in to pinch-hit."

"Me?"

"Yes, you see, the pitcher is left handed, and so is Darryl. You are right handed, and right handed hitters do better against left handed pitching. It's called playing the percentages. It's what smart managers do to win ball games."

"But coach, I've hit 9 home runs."

TheHip41
10-27-2005, 04:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He only has to throw 1 pitch. after that, he can be taken out. Unless he gets hurt warming up.

Benholio
10-27-2005, 05:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He only has to throw 1 pitch. after that, he can be taken out. Unless he gets hurt warming up.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, the pitcher has to continue throwing to the batter until he gets him out or the batter reaches base, unless the pitcher is injured.

MLB Rule 3.05 (http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/official_info/official_rules/game_preliminaries_3.jsp)

(a) The pitcher named in the batting order handed the umpire in chief, as provided in Rules 4.01 (a) and 4.01 (b), shall pitch to the first batter or any substitute batter until such batter is put out or reaches first base, unless the pitcher sustains injury or illness which, in the judgment of the umpire in chief, incapacitates him from pitching. (b) If the pitcher is replaced, the substitute pitcher shall pitch to the batter then at bat, or any substitute batter, until such batter is put out or reaches first base, or until the offensive team is put out, unless the substitute pitcher sustains injury or illness which, in the umpire in chief's judgment, incapacitates him for further play as a pitcher. (c) If an improper substitution is made for the pitcher, the umpire shall direct the proper pitcher to return to the game until the provisions of this rule are fulfilled. If the improper pitcher is permitted to pitch, any play that results is legal. The improper pitcher becomes the proper pitcher as soon as he makes his first pitch to the batter, or as soon as any runner is put out. If a manager attempts to remove a pitcher in violation of Rule 3.05 (c) the umpire shall notify the manager of the offending club that it cannot be done. If, by chance, the umpire in chief has, through oversight, announced the incoming improper pitcher, he should still correct the situation before the improper pitcher pitches. Once the improper pitcher delivers a pitch he becomes the proper pitcher.

jesusarenque
10-27-2005, 12:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, the pitcher has to continue throwing to the batter until he gets him out or the batter reaches base, unless the pitcher is injured.

MLB Rule 3.05 (http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/official_info/official_rules/game_preliminaries_3.jsp)

(a) The pitcher named in the batting order handed the umpire in chief, as provided in Rules 4.01 (a) and 4.01 (b), shall pitch to the first batter or any substitute batter until such batter is put out or reaches first base, unless the pitcher sustains injury or illness which, in the judgment of the umpire in chief, incapacitates him from pitching. (b) If the pitcher is replaced, the substitute pitcher shall pitch to the batter then at bat, or any substitute batter, until such batter is put out or reaches first base, or until the offensive team is put out, unless the substitute pitcher sustains injury or illness which, in the umpire in chief's judgment, incapacitates him for further play as a pitcher. (c) If an improper substitution is made for the pitcher, the umpire shall direct the proper pitcher to return to the game until the provisions of this rule are fulfilled. If the improper pitcher is permitted to pitch, any play that results is legal. The improper pitcher becomes the proper pitcher as soon as he makes his first pitch to the batter, or as soon as any runner is put out. If a manager attempts to remove a pitcher in violation of Rule 3.05 (c) the umpire shall notify the manager of the offending club that it cannot be done. If, by chance, the umpire in chief has, through oversight, announced the incoming improper pitcher, he should still correct the situation before the improper pitcher pitches. Once the improper pitcher delivers a pitch he becomes the proper pitcher.

[/ QUOTE ]

...unless the pitcher comes in a picks a guy off first for the third out. In that case he doesn't get the batter out and the batter doesn't reach first.

B Dids
10-27-2005, 12:36 PM
Where ever Lou Pinella ends up, watch him manage a game. He's probably the best in baseball and working this to get the matchup he wants.

jedi
10-27-2005, 01:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

...unless the pitcher comes in a picks a guy off first for the third out. In that case he doesn't get the batter out and the batter doesn't reach first.

[/ QUOTE ]

And I've seen a pitcher get a save for this situation when picking someone off for the last out in the game.

Benholio
10-27-2005, 02:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
(b) If the pitcher is replaced, the substitute pitcher shall pitch to the batter then at bat, or any substitute batter, until such batter is put out or reaches first base, or until the offensive team is put out, unless the substitute pitcher sustains injury or illness which, in the umpire in chief's judgment, incapacitates him for further play as a pitcher.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I can read the information in my own quote. My point was that he can't just throw one pitch and leave under normal circumstances.